Proposal: Antti Raanta+ for Julius Honka and Antoine Roussel

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What's the plus?

The Rangers need a serious upgrade at RHD and a gritty forward like Roussell who can play hockey too for playoff run.

Raanta cheap upgrade at goalie for Dallas and still pretty young. Can protect him while exposing one of Lehtonen/Niemi and their 5+ million dollar contracts. Rangers have some left defenseman not named McDonagh available.

Staal
Holden
Skeij
Ryan Graves

Also, have the deepest forward group but I don't think Dallas wants a forward.

Maybe a center though? Eakin and Faksa are 3rd liners. JT Miller as 2C?

The plus is an asset that is better than Raanta.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
For a team in an untraditional hockey market. I love Stars fans, they can be some of the best versed and reasonable to talk too.
But this deal is just bad for the Stars. When in the utter **** did Raanta become a starting goaltender? So far in recent history only one goaltender traded for the value of a 1st round pick or similar prospect that hasn't separated themselves from the pack as ex backups is Lehner. Each other one has proven to rather be one of the best or had major success with new team. Schneider, Varlamov and Jones have done this. Lehner might. Raanta is very unlikely to do so, he won't get the chance in New York and the Rangers fans should know what the maybe starters return. They traded one a couple summers ago.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I like Raanta, but he's far from proven and doesn't at all carry the #1 cache. There's zero chance Honka would be dealt for him, let alone Honka + Roussel.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I wonder who this #1 goalie is, is that the plus next to Raanta? Because we can't have 4 goalies, or 3 for that matter. Not sure how the OP solves that obvious problem, but I bet you spent a lot of time thinking it over before you barfed this nonsense into existence.

You beg the question "are you Bernmeister in disguise?" with the only evidence in your favor being you didn't include Gurianov anywhere.

I missed this little gem!
Foolish Mr. Misty, there is only one bernmeister!
As to Gurianov, he's not freakin McDavid; but feel free to value him as such.

Skjei and Graves are not available
would love to get Honka understand he is not available
not interested in the Rous-meister

something around Nash at half (=3.9) and decent but not crazy + for Gurianov?

Never change.

this ^ from the picture of an open mind:sarcasm:

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Excluding Lundqvist and Raanta, do the Rangers have a goalie who fills the expansion requirements?

If the answer is no, Raanta is staying - end of story. If not - well, this is a bad deal for the Stars anyway.

The answer is actually yes. All they need to do is issue a qualifying offer to either Skapski or Hellberg.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Raanta is a talented backup, he's not a starter quality goalie. He doesn't have that much value.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I missed this little gem!
Foolish Mr. Misty, there is only one bernmeister!
As to Gurianov, he's not freakin McDavid; but feel free to value him as such.

this ^ from the picture of an open mind:sarcasm:

Not meant as a judgement, just a humorous observation: You are possibly the biggest fan of Gurianov on HF.

is that the fact based on talent - abiity - production?
or is that a spin narrative buyers wanna hold on to?

Who are these buyers? I will start by saying I come from the Stars perspective only, but I have not seen a single Stars fan who wants to be in the Raanta business and this is not the first time an unsolicited Rangers fan has floated this idea. Maybe other fanbases are knocking on your door about Raanta, but that isn't true to my experience.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
is that the fact based on talent - abiity - production?
or is that a spin narrative buyers wanna hold on to?

Look at historical comps. Even Talbot, who I'd argue had higher value at the time did not bring back significant value, not the value this thread is based on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Could be. Until he plays more regularly we will never know.

Any back up goaltender could be number 1 but unless their teams primary goaltender gets injured, they dont have a hope in hell.

Talbot got a 3 month run due to Lundqvist getting injured. Showed he had what it took to be number 1 and Rangers cashed in.

Raanta has been very good for us but you cannot judge a player properly on on 20 games a season.

NHL GM's don't give a backup goalie the value of a starting goalie just because he "could be" a starter. Raanta has had a good season. Hasn't proven that he can carry the load. In this deal, he is the third most valuable piece. But it is close with Roussel. Honka is far more valuable.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NYR have no particular desire to move Raanta, they would need an irresistible offer
and
it seems to me Dallas only trades for Raanta if they believe he is their next #1, and soon, which would incite them to 'overpay'
(i am not saying they would or should, just that IF they decide he can be their answer, they go hard for him)

so there is not likely a fit, i wrote last week
"Dallas wont move Honka, but NYR have no reason to move Raanta for less"

I believe those are both true
so "move along, nothing to see here"

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Are the stars still interested in Bishop?

Given that both our goalies are actually playing good right now and are far from the problem I would say there is very little chance they make a trade for Bishop. I could see them trying to move on from one and going for him in the offseason but right now Niemi and Lehtonen are fine and upgrading them won't change the fact that we give up way too many break aways and good scoring chances

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Raanta's numbers this year are almost identical to the numbers he put up in his last season with the Blackhawks.

2014-5 14 GP .936 1.89
2016-7 12 GP .941 1.69

And the Hawks got a bag of pucks for him. Yes, he is a bit more proven at this point. But he is proven as a backup, not a starter. Goalie markets are always very small. Very few teams are actually looking for a starter at any one time and there are always a few teams with a hot backup goaltender that they would be willing to move.

For example, would a team want to give up valuable assets for Raanta when they can wait until the offseason and sign the guy that beat him out in Chicago (Darling) as an UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00