Proposal: Antti Raanta+ for Julius Honka and Antoine Roussel

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What's the plus?

The Rangers need a serious upgrade at RHD and a gritty forward like Roussell who can play hockey too for playoff run.

Raanta cheap upgrade at goalie for Dallas and still pretty young. Can protect him while exposing one of Lehtonen/Niemi and their 5+ million dollar contracts. Rangers have some left defenseman not named McDonagh available.

Staal
Holden
Skeij
Ryan Graves

Also, have the deepest forward group but I don't think Dallas wants a forward.

Maybe a center though? Eakin and Faksa are 3rd liners. JT Miller as 2C?

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
The plus would have to be big, Honka and Roussel are quality assets. Not only that but the Rangers would have to take one of lehtonen or Niemi, they wouldn't want to carry three goalies

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
This is the worst thought out thing I have seen in 2016. Not trading Roussel for Raanta, Honka is absolutely out of the question, just like he was for Talbot. Get a clue.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is the worst thought out thing I have ever seen. Not trading Roussel for Raanta, Honka is absolutely out of the question, just like he was for Talbot. Get a clue.

Funny, because that's not what is being proposed here....

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Let's say I made a thread called "Roussel+ for Hayes and McDonaugh". You are digging yourself a hole when you say "(3rd most valuable player in the deal) + for (A Much More Valuable Player) + (Another More Valuable Player)."

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Let's say I made a thread called "Roussel+ for Hayes and McDonaugh". You are digging yourself a hole when you say "3rd most valuable player in the deal + for A Much More Valuable Player + Another More Valuable Player."

lol.

Rousell more valuable than a #1 Goalie?

Honka==Skeij
Klingberg==McDonagh

you're overating your players.....

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
lol.

Rousell more valuable than a #1 Goalie?

Honka==Skeij
Klingberg==McDonagh

you're overating your players.....

I wonder who this #1 goalie is, is that the plus next to Raanta? Because we can't have 4 goalies, or 3 for that matter. Not sure how the OP solves that obvious problem, but I bet you spent a lot of time thinking it over before you barfed this nonsense into existence.

You beg the question "are you Bernmeister in disguise?" with the only evidence in your favor being you didn't include Gurianov anywhere.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Apparently Raanta is a bonafide number 1 goalie now, good to know.

Could be. Until he plays more regularly we will never know.

Any back up goaltender could be number 1 but unless their teams primary goaltender gets injured, they dont have a hope in hell.

Talbot got a 3 month run due to Lundqvist getting injured. Showed he had what it took to be number 1 and Rangers cashed in.

Raanta has been very good for us but you cannot judge a player properly on on 20 games a season.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NYR not giving up one of their young top 8 forwards (Kreider,Miller, Hayes, etc),
NYR have no interest in moving Raanta unless blown away

Roussel isn't important to NYR, its an add idea on Stars' side to pump up the return

trying to build a 'logical' deal for Raanta wont work as NYR arent of a mind to move Raanta,
it will have be what may feel like overpayment
which fundamentally would come down Honka as the centerpiece price to improve the Stars in net

Raanta is 26 and just proven his quality, his price is high right now

and NYR'd need back a proven 2d goalie, and

Honka, a 2d and one of the Finn G's with Cap retention for Raanta + a Pirri and/or a minor leaguer

Stars need a better younger goalie WAY more than NYR need or want to trade Raanta

so you can argue I am crazy about the value here,
but i am not asking for such a trade,
it doesn't happen as a value for value trade,
it would only happen if Stars make an offer NYR cannot refuse

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
As well as Raanta has played. He's still a back up. No guarantee he duplicates his numbers behind that team (not an indication of the team being good or bad, just a different system)

Would love to get a roussel kind of player as I believe the Rangers absolutely need one, but the role he played for the Stars makes him more valuable to them than what he is actually worth in a trade. Same with Raanta for the Rangers.

Not good trade partners.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Could be. Until he plays more regularly we will never know.

Any back up goaltender could be number 1 but unless their teams primary goaltender gets injured, they dont have a hope in hell.

Talbot got a 3 month run due to Lundqvist getting injured. Showed he had what it took to be number 1 and Rangers cashed in.

Raanta has been very good for us but you cannot judge a player properly on on 20 games a season.

Yep. Jones is another guy like that. Raanta absolutely has shown he has the ability to play like a #1, all the needs to do is prove it over a season. I'm liking all the young goalies in the NHL right now.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What's the plus?

The Rangers need a serious upgrade at RHD and a gritty forward like Roussell who can play hockey too for playoff run.

Raanta cheap upgrade at goalie for Dallas and still pretty young. Can protect him while exposing one of Lehtonen/Niemi and their 5+ million dollar contracts. Rangers have some left defenseman not named McDonagh available.

Staal
Holden
Skeij
Ryan Graves

Dallas is not trading for Raanta. I know its hard for other to understand because you dont watch out games but the Goalies are not the problem right now. They are actually playing good. We have no problem riding them out the way they are playing right now. Its the rest of the team especially the D that is hurting so why on earth would we trade our best D prospect when that is what we need most.

There is nothing NYR coul add to that (that you would be willing to add) that would make Honka available.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Stars fan also saying that I wouldnt swap Roussel for Raanta straight up, let alone add our best prospect who should be in the NHL right now if Nill would just get his head straight

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
There is nothing NYR could add to that (that you would be willing to add) that would make Honka available.

good, forget the whole thing
Dallas wont move Honka, but NYR have no reason to move Raanta for less

Roussel is not worth shaking up a winning team for,
if NYR want to add a gritty veteran, they can find one who brings that at lower price

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Reading this thread I'm pretty sure people don't realize how comparable Raanta and Talbot are/were. And despite what has been said in this thread, the return for Talbot was not "cashing in." Lest we forget what Raanta himself was traded for less than a full season ago. The bottom line is Raanta has nowhere near the value people in this thread are proposing, the Stars would have to be completely incompetent (and actually well beyond) to even contemplate the OP unless the + is better than Raanta.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
LMAO

Now backup goalies+ get top D prospects and quality third liners?

Maybe evaluate what returns on past backup goalies are. At best its a couple of mid round picks. Two seconds being a steal

Doesnt change the fact the raanta is and likely always will be, a backup goalie, not matter how hot he is at the moment

Give raanta a full season starter workload before assessing that he should get a high end return. Especially when dallas needs honka more than NYR do

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Raanta is worth that much then the Rangers are losing him in the expansion draft. He's also a UFA in 2018, at which point Rangers still have Lundqvist signed for another 3 years at an 8.5M cap.

Like Talbot I expect Raanta is going to be another one that gets away from the Rangers due to having a career-long vet in net. There's two strong opportunities where they could lose him for nothing, so if they decided to trade him I wouldn't expect them to get more than what other similar goalies have gotten in recent years. Something between the late 1st Martin Jones got or a 2nd+3rd that Cam Talbot returned.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Excluding Lundqvist and Raanta, do the Rangers have a goalie who fills the expansion requirements?

If the answer is no, Raanta is staying - end of story. If not - well, this is a bad deal for the Stars anyway.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What's the plus?

Staal
Holden
Skeij
Ryan Graves

Skjei and Graves are not available
would love to get Honka understand he is not available
not interested in the Rous-meister

something around Nash at half (=3.9) and decent but not crazy + for Gurianov?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Skjei and Graves are not available
would love to get Honka understand he is not available
not interested in the Rous-meister

something around Nash at half (=3.9) and decent but not crazy + for Gurianov?

Never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->