Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta Extended (3 years/4.25AAV)

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
RonCzpA.gif

UDbc8lK.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: doaner

RABBIT

The Morning Fanatics with Crespin & Bauer: The Morning Fanatics with Crespin & Bauer 4-3-18 John Chayka

Still sounds pretty optimistic.

EDIT: so I just listened to the WHOLE Podcast he DID say he has made offers, just not sure where the dollar amount reported came from.
"We've had a lot of discussions & made a lot of offers & counter-offers & will continue to do so, but I think doing so in private is the best way to do it."

So the tweet by Rich Morin is worded kind of funny. Chayka just said the numbers reported are inaccurate. f***in Gambo trying to inflate the market because he's still pissed about Doan :laugh:

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, everyone has been saying we're really close to a deal since a week before the deadline... We're so close we haven't even tendered an offer. I mean why negotiate against yourself. You don't even need to try to get a deal done with the best UFA goaltender available-- that's how close we are! That's encouraging...

RABBIT

He's as good as gone.

Well, everyone has been saying we're really close to a deal since a week before the deadline... We're so close we haven't even tendered an offer. I mean why negotiate against yourself. You don't even need to try to get a deal done with the best UFA goaltender available-- that's how close we are! That's encouraging...

Shhhhhh.

His exact words from the podcast:
"We've had a lot of discussions & made a lot of offers & counter-offers & will continue to do so, but I think doing so in private is the best way to do it."

RABBIT

In other words... Chayka just told Gambo to shut up (and stay off HFBoards. :laugh:)

this. I don't think there is a GM in the world of sports who would tell you "Yup, that's what we offered him so we're just waiting to hear back."

Gambo likely heard the Coyotes had made an offer (which Chayka confirmed there have been multiple offers,) did some digging on the internet and threw out some regurgitated numbers to make it seem more official. That, or his source did. Or the dollar amount is close to right on the money and Chayka's not trying to show his hand to other players, like the way it should be.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
this. I don't think there is a GM in the world of sports who would tell you "Yup, that's what we offered him so we're just waiting to hear back."

Gambo likely heard the Coyotes had made an offer (which Chayka confirmed there have been multiple offers,) did some digging on the internet and threw out some regurgitated numbers to make it seem more official. That, or his source did. Or the dollar amount is close to right on the money and Chayka's not trying to show his hand to other players, like the way it should be.

Gambo’s only real source for anything Coyotes in the past has been Shane Doan. Now Doaner I’m sure still has connections within the franchise but even that is stretching things.

Raanta’s agent could also have leaked this out in some way to test fan reaction.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Raanta > 54th pick

If gambling the 54th pick by being patient and persistent leads to us having Raanta instead of the 54th pick, that’s a big boy decision.

Pissing your panties over the prospect of losing another measly pick and dumping your potentially elite goalie to mitigate that utterly inocuos risk is little girl stuff.

Same big boy logic applies to a whoopdie doo 0.500mil per year difference in salary on a long term contract for a guy who’s just plain earning it. I’m not going to light the torches a grab the pitch forks because we waited so long that our fantastic goalie showed us how good he is and how much he’s worth. There are worse problems. Like literally all of our other problems for example.
Agreed. We don't know the circumstances of why he wasn't signed before the TDL? Could be money/Chayka/Raanta/his agent/wife, hard to say. I think Raanta's improved play and consistency since the TDL would make me more comfortable signing him, with the caveat of him being able to do it for a full season (60+ games). I think we have more validation with little additional expense attached to it, but we shall see.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
My feeling is that at the TDL both sides were still too unsure about each other's direction to sign anything. Chayka didn't know if Raanta could recover enough from his injuries to play a significant portion of the season, and Raanta didn't know if Tocchet could figure out a way to turn the team around. Chayka, though, most likely saw Raanta's potential (otherwise he wouldn't have traded for him) and didn't want to give up on an asset without a thorough evaluation, so he didn't trade him.

If that's the case, then I'd have to think that Chayka giving Raanta a chance to prove himself is going to be a plus in the GM's ledger as they talk extension. But my suspicion is that it was never going to be as easy as either extending or trading at the deadline.
Good post, makes sense. At the TDL, I can see Raanta's side saying we want starter money and term, while Chayka says prove you can play starter games for a year. Raanta can't quite prove that but he is getting closer and his play is at a high level. I suspect he signs before becoming a UFA.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
My thoughts...

I still think he'll sign elsewhere, especially with his recent success. He may like it here, but he's only been around this season so I doubt he's made too many "lasting" or "close" Arizona-based connections. I'm sure he'll want to join a playoff-bound team (like the Isles--if JT re-signs), and even with a healthy Raanta, we aren't quite there (for next season) unless we sign several scoring forwards and increase our budget significantly (such that would be brought by new ownership willing to invest heavily to improve the team).

Perhaps we'll make it by 2019-2020 and/or 2020-2021 (which would fall into his contract as discussed above), but I think other teams looking for a promising goalie are closer and more appealing to Raanta. Still, although I'm not totally comfortable with 4x4 or 4x4.5 (I'm closer to 3x3 or 3x3.5 due to injury potential), I would be okay with something along those lines. I can't say I'd be open to 5+ years unless there's no NTC/NMC involved.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@Ebb Good call on the Islanders. He may have been eyeballing them all along as a team that certainly needs a goalie and gets him back to New York. That said, they're total team defense is atrocious. He'd be looking at getting shelled. Of course if he's got a 4-5 year deal from them, it may not matter all that much if he struggles with the team for a season or two. They're a legit threat. I just don't see that many other teams that are clearly a better fit than us. They might be one.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
How many games do we win since the trade deadline if Raanta is an Islander right now?

Without Raanta, this team do need a high pick. They have increased the odds for the worst teams to get a top 3 since last year if I read the numbers right.

This "run" is fun because of the promise it bears for the next season. Without Raanta, next season will not be as fun will it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
@Ebb Good call on the Islanders. He may have been eyeballing them all along as a team that certainly needs a goalie and gets him back to New York. That said, they're total team defense is atrocious. He'd be looking at getting shelled. Of course if he's got a 4-5 year deal from them, it may not matter all that much if he struggles with the team for a season or two. They're a legit threat. I just don't see that many other teams that are clearly a better fit than us. They might be one.
I read or heard somewhere that the Islanders are going hard for Holtby. He makes 5M for the next two years and is one of the best in the business.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
My view on the Islanders, a team I've followed (secondarily now) since 1975.
  • On the ice they're a complete mess, worse than the Coyotes. They are 7 points ahead of Arizona WITH Tavares and headed in the wrong direction.
  • Given up the most goals in the NHL, their goalies also have the most saves in the NHL. Watching an Islander game is like watching 3 on 3 OT full time....Halak/Greiss/Gibson see more odd man rushes than the 2014-2015 Coyotes.
  • They have $11.5M locked up with Boychuk and Leddy through 2021-2022
  • They still owe Thomas Greiss $6.7M over the next 2 years.
  • The odds of re-signing Tavares are probably 50% at best.
  • They will likely be firing both the GM and Coach....both changes are more important than adding a goalie.
And for every Steve Ellman and Anthony LeBlanc story Coyote fans offer up, Islander fans counter with John Spano and Charles Wang.

I don't think Raanta will want anything to do with the Islanders.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad