Confirmed with Link: Antti Niemi's UFA Rights for Pick #193; Re-signs [3 Years, $4.500M Per]

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
In the past 5 seasons, Niemi's save percentage at 5 on 5 when trailing is fifth (with at least 1000 minutes played)

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't like the term but there isn't much you can do. Hopefully he's still got it, his presence pushes Kari back to his best self, and one of them can be traded down the line.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Because Niemi is much better than Enroth.
Well, Niemi is better atleast... But Enroth however is considerably cheaper... And he was really good for us down the stretch...

At the same time, we did sign a quality player, and even if the cost was a bit higher than I would have wanted, that's atleast something to be happy about.

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The ability to give Kari quality nights off is really the key here.

Before we acquired Enroth, Kari sitting pretty much meant a loss to anyone that was near playoff caliber.

I really think the two will push each other, and, will both get a solid slate of games to show their mettle.

Because we are a few years away from having a goalie better than Kari (either in FA or Campbell growing up), this is by far the best option.

With Val coming back, a full year of Klingberg, and a fresh rotation of Finish talent in net, we're at the very least back in the field of 8 next year.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think the one year contract for JC, together with the 3 year signing of Niemi spells the end for Campbell. I also think Jamie O is on pretty thin ground with the new GM. Not sure about Faksa, the last of Niewy's first round picks. Not unusual for a GM to want to wash his hands of the previous GM's top selections, but obviously keeps the ones that work out.

I don't have a good feeling about this working out with the two goalie system. Not sure it ever does with two vets. That said, I can see Nill's thinking - what they have to fix the problem is cap space. A rebuilding team hates to give up the draft picks or young players to get a backup or even 1B goalie, because it hurts development. So, we used our cap space instead. Hope it works out.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Glad we were able to sign him quickly, seems like he wants to play in Dallas and Kari seems to welcome the competition and the relief coming in. Unless Niemi is just awful next year, I think this move is going to help us out a lot especially on B2Bs and long road trips. Niemi/Lehtonen could be an awesome goaltending duo.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
So Dallas fans, what do you think - at this point of the season your goalie duo seems to be working rather well? Honestly speaking I didn't expect it to work this well this quickly. Not cheap but well worth the price if they continue playing like this. (Side note: Kari's rebound control is still a joke, but hey, if he gets the job done who cares?) :)

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
So Dallas fans, what do you think - at this point of the season your goalie duo seems to be working rather well? Honestly speaking I didn't expect it to work this well this quickly. Not cheap but well worth the price if they continue playing like this. (Side note: Kari's rebound control is still a joke, but hey, if he gets the job done who cares?) :)

I think so far this year we have gotten roughly average goaltending which is adequate and a vast improvement over last season.

Ermine

Sep 25, 2014
I think Lehtonen is much better than Niemi. His technique is superior and he is faster. It is nice to have two goalies who can win games, but this duo is just too expensive. I would trade Niemi away after this season.

I am probably alone with my opinion though.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
We can afford this right now because we have room in cap. If cap becomes problem we can just trade either one.

I strongly believe this investment will pay itself back. Competition in central is so fierce that we cannot lose single point because of poor back up goalie. Also we are not forced to make trade just because first goalie injures or badly under performs.
It isn't cheap nor easy to get quality goalie mid season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad