Confirmed with Link: Antti Niemi's UFA Rights for Pick #193; Re-signs [3 Years, $4.500M Per]

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Interesting move. Lehtonen and Niemi will be a pretty nice goaltending duo, and after the year Lehtonen had we need some stability at the position. Assuming of course we do not move Lehtonen before the season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm happy with it. He's a better, more proven option than Talbot, Lack, and Lehner. Two legit starters who can push each other now, and the cap shouldn't be an issue. Doubt either party wants a long-term deal.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
I agree, we will finally have two solid netminders that we can have confidence in.....can't remember the last time we had that.

Alveio

Apr 13, 2015
And it will give some rest to Kari during the season too. He needs it.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
I still think Lehtonen is a lot better than Niemi when he's on. We'll have to see how this works out. Maybe Lehts will play better with the extra rest.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Why would Niemi settle for this? Is there really not a better option for him than to take a pay cut AND backup Kari?

There isn't a line of teams looking to sign Niemi to be their starter. San Jose has no plan I can tell and they don't want him back. We can make a competitive offer and he knows he'll have the chance to win the job outright. Plus he only made 3.8m this year, so he probably won't be taking a pay cut at all.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Why would Niemi settle for this? Is there really not a better option for him than to take a pay cut AND backup Kari?
Don't just assume he's the backup. If Kari continues the play he had last season, the starting job will be up for grabs.

It really comes down to which goalie can rebound to performances from prior seasons.

tempusfugitwf

Jul 10, 2014
I've read a lot of grousing from Stars fans all over the internet about this, but just wondering one thing. Has anybody considered that this move may be due to expansion? Think about it. Suppose Nill knows expansion is gonna happen, with Las Vegas and Kansas City, or Seattle or whoever getting teams. He exposes BOTH Niemi and Lehtonen. Established teams can only lose one player in the expansion draft, or it was that way in the last one. So you lose a overrated, overpaid goalie and get to keep your more valuable skaters.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I've read a lot of grousing from Stars fans all over the internet about this, but just wondering one thing. Has anybody considered that this move may be due to expansion? Think about it. Suppose Nill knows expansion is gonna happen, with Las Vegas and Kansas City, or Seattle or whoever getting teams. He exposes BOTH Niemi and Lehtonen. Established teams can only lose one player in the expansion draft, or it was that way in the last one. So you lose a overrated, overpaid goalie and get to keep your more valuable skaters.

Expansion is at least two years away, probably closer to five...

tempusfugitwf

Jul 10, 2014
Expansion is at least two years away, probably closer to five...

Bill Daly said the earliest would be 2017, when both goalies would have 1 year left, if Niemi is signed to the 3 year deal that is rumored. The last expansion draft was held on June 23, so both goalies would be technically still Stars property. That gives Nill two offseasons with potentially an expansion draft to deal with, 2017 and 2018. I think it's possible he made the deal with the expansion draft in mind

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm not quite sure how I feel about Niemi yet...very unexpected. I do like that we're trying to get a guy who has actually proven himself in the playoffs though. That's a thing.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm not quite sure how I feel about Niemi yet...very unexpected. I do like that we're trying to get a guy who has actually proven himself in the playoffs though. That's a thing.

Same here. He's similar to Lehts, but not as good ( minus last season for Lehts). But if he signs here it will give us one of the best tandems in the NHL though

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
This just give us a legitimate starter for if Lehtonen gets hurt or cant find his mojo.

I like this move

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Let's get this done Nill. Finally a chance at another legit goalie keeping Lehts from getting overworked. Hopefully this gives Lehts the rest to get better from last season and not force Niemi to get overworked and play like garbage (like Lehts the previous seasons).

JMcLeaf

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 15s16 seconds ago
DAL signs Niemi three years, $4.5M AAV.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Eehhh... Couldn't we just have resigned Enroth? Ok, guess this is how it is now. You better deliver Niemi...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad