Player Discussion Antti Niemi (Signed in the KHL)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I wil be surprised if Niemi is back next season.

It`s a goaltending controversy waiting to happen if and when Price struggles next season.

A veteran backup though would be a good idea to me and that is nothing against Lindgren who looks to have a good career ahead of him. But failing to have a veteran around which resulted in the Condon/Tokarski/Scrivens season when Price when down should have taught someone a lesson.

I would extend Niemi for the simple fact that it should keep Lindgren fired up. He just got his extension but he shouldn't come into camp feeling like the back-up job is his because no one else is there to challenge him.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I would extend Niemi for the simple fact that it should keep Lindgren fired up. He just got his extension but he shouldn't come into camp feeling like the back-up job is his because no one else is there to challenge him.
If Niemi is outplaying Price again next fall, with that contract kicking in, could see things getting ugly.

Reactions: Fixxer

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If you resign Niemi, trade Lindgren. I'd assume he wouldn't want to be in the AHL again.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I never knew a goalie could be so bad. He’s horrific. Worse than awful. I don’t understand how he’s in the NHL. He lets in minimum 4 goals a game. The team has to play a perfect game with him in nets and even then there’s still a good chance we lose. I want to put him on waivers or have him traded for 2025 conditional 7th rounder. I wouldn’t want to burden any other teams with Niemi though. I’d feel pretty bad allowing another team to take him on.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
The Habs were known for their goalie depth in the past.
Now, we may have the worst in the League. We have nobody to replace him.
Just a bunch of no-names career AHLers. That's on Bergevin.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
niemi-stanley-cup.jpg

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
OP that's Stanley Cup CHAMPION Anti Neimi to you sir!
That’s nice. It was also 8 years ago. 8 years ago, guys like Brad Richards and Corey Perry were PPG. Players decline and that’s what happens as you get older. Niemi was solid and now he’s bad. Not to mention he had an amazing roster in front of him during that run.

Reactions: LaP

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Well he lost a game that he was supposed to lose. It hurts a bit because we somehow to manage to score 5 goals against one of the best goalie, defense, team in the league but we weren't supposed to win anyways.

That said, I hope this game and the last 5... will make Bergevin realized that we need another back up. Price is way too fragile now to have a back up that lets in 5 per game.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well he lost a game that he was supposed to lose. It hurts a bit because we somehow to manage to score 5 goals against one of the best goalie, defense, team in the league but we weren't supposed to win anyways.

That said, I hope this game and the last 5... will make Bergevin realized that we need another back up. Price is way too fragile now to have a back up that lets in 5 per game.
Hopefully learns from his mistakes.

The decision to take a chance on waiver wire Scrivens in 15-16 instead of paying a small price (pun not intended) for a better goalie was a pretty big gaffe if he was, as he said he was, trying to compete that season (the team did start like a house on fire).

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He should have retired as a Penguin last year.

lol..i remember those nights people was complaining he was messing up the tank playing too good..lol

There is something a miss this season....you cant have a back up letting in that many goals a game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad