Player Discussion Antti Niemi (Signed in the KHL)

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
Niemi’s situation will be interesting, he’ll want more than a one year deal... his age is an issue, the fact he’s going to make 1.5 million next year if he plays or not will play a part in what he decides to do as well.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don't believe he's going to be able to keep up those stats for another year (or less/more)

You mean you don't think he's gonna post vezina calibre stats for the entirety of next year?

Blasphemy!

I don't think he's gonna post an .880 either though

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Niemi’s situation will be interesting, he’ll want more than a one year deal... his age is an issue, the fact he’s going to make 1.5 million next year if he plays or not will play a part in what he decides to do as well.

yeah with Carey making 10.5 million, ideally we want someone under 1 million. But for Niemi, I'd be willing to pay 1.5. 2 years is risky. But if he plays the way he played this year, or close to it, we'd surely be able to trade him after 1 year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Niemi is an average number 2. Dime a dozen number 2. Him or any other number 2 available it doesn't matter much. He's certainly not a strong number 2 in any shape or form.

Anyone who expect him to be anything other than the guy who was waived twice this year will be in for the same rude awakening Benn's fans had this season. He is playing WAY over his head right now.

Reactions: ArtPeur

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Niemi is an average number 2. Dime a dozen number 2. Him or any other number 2 available it doesn't matter much. He's certainly not a strong number 2 in any shape or form.

Anyone who expect him to be anything other than the guy who was waived twice this year will be in for the same rude awakening Benn's fans had this season. He is playing WAY over his head right now.

Agreed, don't want him back as it's time to go with Lindgren.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
yeah with Carey making 10.5 million, ideally we want someone under 1 million. But for Niemi, I'd be willing to pay 1.5. 2 years is risky. But if he plays the way he played this year, or close to it, we'd surely be able to trade him after 1 year.
the Next Tokarski or Montoya...

having a good stretch, signing a new contract, back to sucking.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
the Next Tokarski or Montoya...

having a good stretch, signing a new contract, back to sucking.

Did Tokarski or Montoya win a cup with Stephane Waite in Chicago?

If he's only playing well because he wants a contract, why did he suck so much when he was playing for different teams and goalie coaches earlier this season, when he was also looking for a contract for next season?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Did Tokarski or Montoya win a cup with Stephane Waite in Chicago?

If he's only playing well because he wants a contract, why did he suck so much when he was playing for different teams and goalie coaches earlier this season, when he was also looking for a contract for next season?
are you making a reference to Niemi winning a cup a decade ago when he was in his mid 20 ?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
are you making a reference to Niemi winning a cup a decade ago when he was in his mid 20 ?

a lot of goalies are good in their mid to late 30s, in the right setting. Look at Luongo in Florida versus the end of his tenure in Vancouver. It's called rejuvenation.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
a lot of goalies are good in their mid to late 30s, in the right setting. Look at Luongo in Florida versus the end of his tenure in Vancouver. It's called rejuvenation.
ah I see, the guy has a good stretch so he's a great goalie, period. ? ?

Just so you know thouhg, even in Chicago, in his mid 20, Niemi wasnt all that great.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
ah I see, the guy has a good stretch so he's a great goalie, period. ? ?

Just so you know thouhg, even in Chicago, in his mid 20, Niemi wasnt all that great.

No what I'm saying is, if a goalie that's had ups and downs in the past starts to play well, they're automatically as bad as Tokarski. Period.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Niemi can seriously f*** off. He single handily ruined our tank. We can’t score to save our lives
Our high prices offensive talent ie: Drouin, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty have been shit yet the waiver wire goalie is the reason we won’t be in the bottom 5
Thanks niemi , you asshole

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Um noooo
Bobby Lou was great in Vancouver even at the end. He was getting f***ed over by Torts

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No what I'm saying is, if a goalie that's had ups and downs in the past starts to play well, they're automatically as bad as Tokarski. Period.
So you expect a goalie, who's never been that great to begin with, to extend his good stretch to next season when he'll be 35. Gotcha.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
So you expect a goalie, who's never been that great to begin with, to extend his good stretch to next season when he'll be 35. Gotcha.

I think it's possible he plays as he did when he was at his best. He's now playing better than ever.

I want a veteran to back up Price and Lindgren to have 1 more year in Laval. I don't see better, cheap veteran options and Niemi is getting it done.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think it's possible he plays as he did when he was at his best. He's now playing better than ever.

I want a veteran to back up Price and Lindgren to have 1 more year in Laval. I don't see better, cheap veteran options and Niemi is getting it done.
He is -> at 34 <-

what are the chances it's still the case at 35 you know...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I wil be surprised if Niemi is back next season.

It`s a goaltending controversy waiting to happen if and when Price struggles next season.

A veteran backup though would be a good idea to me and that is nothing against Lindgren who looks to have a good career ahead of him. But failing to have a veteran around which resulted in the Condon/Tokarski/Scrivens season when Price when down should have taught someone a lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad