Confirmed with Link: Anton Volchenkov signed (1yr/$1 mil)

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Love this signing! This is the exact type of guy that we needed to play with Ellis on the third pairing. A veteran, physical defensive defensman. Love the term too; if the Preds aren't in contention at the deadline, he is a great asset to trade due to the 1 year deal.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
dude is gonna be nice.

can't wait to see him hit.

From what I've read, his body has taken a beating the last few seasons and he doesn't throw big hits much anymore. His hit numbers last season look good so at least he's still hitting, he just might not be the freight train he used to be.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Really like we added a veteran presence will like his physical attributes. One concern is PIM's In 11 year he has averaged almost 40 pim per season, while his time in the box is not as bad as Webers 52 pim avg they combine for a good number of PP for opposing teams and our PK is more suspect than ever.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I just really hope hes not as used up as Gill was his last season here

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
look at some of Volchenkov's hits from last season, he's still got some freight train in him.

Believe my friend, believe!

He can still throw a big hit, he just lost some of his speed which prevents him from closing in on forwards and catching them off guard. Volchenkov is exactly what I was asking for. A big, hard hitting dman we can pair with Jones on the 3rd pairing. We needed another defenseman to keep the opposing forwards on their toes. Weber can't do it all. Love the signing.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He can still throw a big hit, he just lost some of his speed which prevents him from closing in on forwards and catching them off guard. Volchenkov is exactly what I was asking for. A big, hard hitting dman we can pair with Jones on the 3rd pairing. We needed another defenseman to keep the opposing forwards on their toes. Weber can't do it all. Love the signing.

I very seriously doubt Jones is on the 3rd pairing after playing all of last season on the second.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I very seriously doubt Jones is on the 3rd pairing after playing all of last season on the second.

I don't think we'll see a big TOI difference between the 2nd and 3rd pairings. I see Jones playing about 17 minutes a game, which is around where Volchenkov was at the end of the season. With our bottom two pairings, there's not much reason to overwork one. It's essentially pairing 2a and 2b in my opinion.

Plus, if I recall correctly, Jones didn't do so well next to Ekholm. I could be wrong, but I remember Ellis working with Ekholm much better. Volchenkov could pair up with either Jones or Ellis, but I think he compliments Jones a little better.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think we'll see a big TOI difference between the 2nd and 3rd pairings. I see Jones playing about 17 minutes a game, which is around where Volchenkov was at the end of the season. With our bottom two pairings, there's not much reason to overwork one. It's essentially pairing 2a and 2b in my opinion.

Plus, if I recall correctly, Jones didn't do so well next to Ekholm. I could be wrong, but I remember Ellis working with Ekholm much better. Volchenkov could pair up with either Jones or Ellis, but I think he compliments Jones a little better.

Wasn't Jones paired with him towards the end of the season though, when the guy was obviously well past wore out and tired? I think you are right though, those bottom two pairing will probably be more like 2a and 2b.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

For about the last quarter or third of the season, Ellis was very consistently getting more minutes than Jones. Jones ended the season on the "3rd pairing" without a doubt. Agree next year is a crap shoot though and likely starts off as 2a/2b until one pulls away from the other.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Wasn't Jones paired with him towards the end of the season though, when the guy was obviously well past wore out and tired? I think you are right though, those bottom two pairing will probably be more like 2a and 2b.

No, Ellis was. Jones was paired with Ekholm and Klein before the Del Zotto trade and did not look well with either. After that trade he played with Bartley and MDZ mostly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad