Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He actually would have had a fairly good shot of being a mid first rounder based on talent.
I agree with almost everything you say, but in this case I just can't. He was an overager, and while that certainly doesn't prevent a player from going in the first round, it seems a lot less common now than it was 7-10 years ago. He had decent KHL numbers (although not one point in 14 playoff games) and terrible World Junior numbers. And he doesn't have size that would be attractive enough to make up the difference, as far as I can tell.

I certainly wasn't as surprised to see him fall to the third as some seemed to be.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree with almost everything you say, but in this case I just can't. He was an overager, and while that certainly doesn't prevent a player from going in the first round, it seems a lot less common now than it was 7-10 years ago. He had decent KHL numbers (although not one point in 14 playoff games) and terrible World Junior numbers. And he doesn't have size that would be attractive enough to make up the difference, as far as I can tell.

I certainly wasn't as surprised to see him fall to the third as some seemed to be.

I was talking about his first time he was eligible. He was considered a mid first level talent. He is also one of the younger players in his draft class so in his draft year he was a 17 year old playing in the KHL. In that situation his point totals were actually a positive. KHL teams are also notorious for not giving young players ice time. Ufa was certainly like this. But even so as an 18 year old playing in the second bet league in the world he had 7 goals and 9 points in his post draft year.

He did have a down year in the one WJHC but he was very good in the Russian-Canada Challenge series. He was also the Russin Captain and one of their leading scores in both the 2012 U-18 ad 2013-4 WJHC.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Teams were extra worried since he was 1st overall pick in the khl draft, and he didn't attend the nhl combine. He most definitely would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick in his draft year if it were not for that.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
mtc6gSt.jpg

Someone asked for a Slepyshev photoshop from the Photoshop thread, thought I'd share it here as well.

Get that heathen's face off of the Messiah's body. :sarcasm:

Unreal shop though. Lookin' real good in Oiler silks.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The important question is will he change his name to McSlepyshev to get with the program?

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
This is great. As I recall he was actually a pretty highly thought of prospect and was a key player for Russia in a recent WJC, but the Russian factor kept teams away. What those teams didn't predict was the crumbling ruble. Hoping that this proves to be one of MacT's good dice rolls.

Hoju????

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I would love to see Slepyshev come to Bakersfield and play in a top 6 scoring role. 20 goals 25 assists would be considered a great first season in N.A.

Clutch Canadian4

Sep 10, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I like the size that he provides. Fits well with his style of play. Looks as if he has good hands around the net if he can get there. He'll spend probably 2 years in the AHL. Reminds me of Yakimov. Hopefully he turns into a potential bottom 6 winger. Don't read into his stats to much. See him play before you judge.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
If Slepyshev's development goes well, I could see him being a marginal first-line player. I expect him to be a middle six winger given his skillset. He has higher upside than Yakimov, who's a reach to ever be a second-line centre.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Forgot you can't edit. With Slepyshev, he's good at finding open spaces, but he's also big enough and feisty enough to be able to battle for body position in goalscoring areas. I'd be surprised if he spends an entire two years in the AHL. I can see him getting some spot duty at the end of this upcoming season/

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
If Slepyshev's development goes well, I could see him being a marginal first-line player. I expect him to be a middle six winger given his skillset. He has higher upside than Yakimov, who's a reach to ever be a second-line centre.

They play different positions so not much point comparingthem.

Also, to me, yakimov is more likely to reach his upside.

That said, schlep is an amazing prospect to have.

Clutch Canadian4

Sep 10, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Forgot you can't edit. With Slepyshev, he's good at finding open spaces, but he's also big enough and feisty enough to be able to battle for body position in goalscoring areas. I'd be surprised if he spends an entire two years in the AHL. I can see him getting some spot duty at the end of this upcoming season/

I could see him going either way... Could spend 3 years in the AHL, could be an up and down player like you said. He has been playing with men in the KHL already.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Really hope he pans out. He has a nasty RH release and could very well be a formidable trigger man for one of our 3 playmaking C's in the future.

Could see some dirty highlights from Bakersfield between Slepyshev and Draisaitl/Yakimov next season.

Just love his name though. Love it. lol

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
he is playing tonight and I am watching him more then I am watching McJesus. Does not speak a lick of English would could be interesting

Ya, it's too bad Yakimov isn't playing for that exact reason.

I'll definitely be watching him keenly. It'll be interesting to see how he stacks up compared to Draisaitl

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
he is not that physical--but he is hard to hit off the puck--Usually

Maybe now that he has gained that much weight.. he can add a physical element to his game. Plus it's probably more difficult to be 'physical' in the KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad