Anton Lundell VS Tim Stutzle

Who is a better player Stutzle or Lundell

• Total voters

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
How did this thread divulge into a Stützle vs Hughes debate?

I guess we’re finally ready to admit Stützle blows Lundell out of the water?
In my opinion, it is likely because its not actually fun to compare stutzle to his own draft class at this point in time. Hughes is ahead at this point, but comparing him and Stü is far more entertaining and engaging than comparing virtually anyone else from the 2020 class to him currently. Put any player from 2020 up and it is more or less an agreement forum. Maybe an "I like (insert any 2020 draftee) and am certain they have a bright future, but Stu is ahead".

So more fun, final answer

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wrote this responding to a question in another thread, but since it's more appropriate here, a more recent scouting report on Stu:

Similarly to Tage Thompson, he really hit his stride when moved off the wing to centre, where his lateral movement and ability to stickhandle inside a phone booth gives him the time and space to operate.

I know that there are wingers who can catalyze offence from the wing (Marner, Alfredsson, Kane) but Stutzle seems to do a lot better with the east-west freedom of playing at centre.

Early on, he would fall down a lot (and dive, but also just fall down), reminding me of early Antoine Vermette, and playing along the boards exacerbated that issue. He seems to be more stable and stronger on his feet in his third season.

He also tried to lay the body a lot early on, much like he did at the World Juniors, only for the much bigger and stronger NHLers to shrug him off pretty easily. He's still scrappy, competitive and emotional but has wised up to the fact that hitting guys isn't his role and he should leave it to Tkachuk and Batherson who are more physically equipped for it. He's not afraid to get hit and goes into the dirty areas if required, although Tkachuk will usually come rushing over if anyone takes liberties.

He was really more advertised as a playmaker as opposed to a scorer, and an early criticism was his tendency to be a bit too deferential (which is common for rookies) and pass up a shooting opportunity.

Now he's really firing away much more, and while he has a decent shot, it's really his ability to find the scoring areas as opposed to having a weapon like Matthews.

I think he's still wired to be more of a passer than a shooter, is guilty of attempting the too-fancy pass on occasion (e.g. Spezza), but he has very good vision and the deft touch to make things happen.

He's quick and accelerates well but is not necessarily insanely fast like Connor McDavid or Jack Hughes are, his skating is really more about mobility than burning by opposing players. It reminds me of Marner actually a bit.

On the PP, this is particularly important as he's typically one of the main possession guys who not only brings the puck into the zone under control, but can turn opposing players inside out with quick turns and pivots, leading to odd-man situations. As a result, you'll see opposing teams give him time and space as opposed to looking foolish, and he's quite effective at using both.

Ottawa's PP is 3rd in the NHL and Stutzle is typically the QB from the half-boards much like Spezza used to be.

He still has to learn all of the things that veteran centres are good at, such as faceoffs (he's at 41% and often Giroux or Tkachuk will take them for him), improving on the defensive side of the puck, and knowing when a simple outlet play or clearance in your own zone is better than trying to skate it out, but that comes in time.

However, he's shown a penchant for penalty killing (again like Marner) where his quick stick, anticipation and skating skills are an asset.

He's a pretty driven guy based on his work ethic in the off-season and I think he's really committed to being one of the top players in the league.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Weird poll,Stu is an offensive player whereas Lundell is your two way type...Team construction is why comparing the two teams gets a little skewed..Otttawa,s version of Lundell is actually Pinto who should play on the 3rd line as he isnt as developed as Lundell is...Need to actually have Ottawa,s team stay healthy and to grow a little more as we are still way too young yet..For a better comparision

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
Some sweet hot takes in this early thread…was a fun read through…”blow through stu’s numbers”…gold

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Some sweet hot takes in this early thread…was a fun read through…”blow through stu’s numbers”…gold

Definitely feel justified with my comparison to Karlsson vs Schenn polls. Not that Lundell and Stutzle will have the same trajectories as those two but like Karlsson after his sophomore year it was so obvious Stutzle's production was about to explode.

Reactions: Bileur

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Gives me vibes of leafs fans arguing Luke Schenn outperformed Erik Karlsson 5v5 following the 2010/2011 season. Similar arguments that Schenn was actually close offensively and the only difference was that Karlsson got PP time etc. Not to say Lundell will take a similar career path but it’s a pretty weak argument. Using statistics is fine and all but when it’s your sole argument, its trouble.
It wasn’t the sole argument. But I’ll take my L on this one for sure.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I was wrong. I looked at the numbers, saw that Stuzle lived off PP scoring last season and didn't see the 5 on 5 jump coming. Meanwhile Lundell has had a pretty significant sophomore slump. Was a bad call by me and I'll own it.

You should have looked at the tv ;)

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
You should have looked at the tv ;)
Did you watch Lundell on tv last year? His two-way game was out of the roof. Lundell surely was better last year and Stutzle just delivered on pp so can't blame anyone on voting Lundell. This year easily Stutzle, we will see next year after Tool Maurice is fired

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Did you watch Lundell on tv last year? His two-way game was out of the roof. Lundell surely was better last year and Stutzle just delivered on pp so can't blame anyone on voting Lundell. This year easily Stutzle, we will see next year after Tool Maurice is fired

You say Stutzle just delivered on the PP, do you think his ES production this season just came out of nowhere?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Was this thread not started by a Sens fan tho? Either way aged like milk
It was posted after a lot of back-and-forth, circular debate - mostly between the two fanbases and people who were contrarians* about the players when they were prospects.

So, essentially, it was posted to settle a debate. At least that's what I remember.

*I don't mean that pejoratively - they were just people who were openly against the prevailing opinion on the player, either positively or negatively.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think Lundell's ceiling is what we had in Stephen Weiss. A good 2C. But we're far from that right now. He's got a lot of work to do to get there. And it's a long shot if he does.
I never got the hype. He was hyped like a future franchise centerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad