Anton Lundell VS Tim Stutzle

Who is a better player Stutzle or Lundell

• Total voters

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Screenshot_20220901-093125_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220901-093136_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'd call it even.
Stutzle gets way more PP time but Lundell did a lot of better things than Stutzle this past year.

If Lundell gets more ES/PP time, his production should go up and close the gap in points.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-093152_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-093152_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220901-093207_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-093207_Samsung Internet.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220901-100639_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-100639_Samsung Internet.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220901-100701_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-100701_Samsung Internet.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 24

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would put them very close right now.

I would give Stutzle a pretty significant edge on the PP, pretty even offensively at ES, and I can only assume Lundell is a better defensive player than Stutzle currently (although that's a bit of a guess... can't say I've seen enough of Lundell to get a great idea of his defensive zone play).

Lundell definitely had better line mates - lots and lots of Reinhart & Marchment, and when he wasn't with Marchment he was with Reinhart + Verhaege or with Vatrano (to a lesser extent)... then a smattering of Mamin, Huberdeau, and Duclair.

Stutzle, on the other hand, was mostly played with Formenton and a combination of Brown and... Gaudette! Next on the list is Paul, then Batherson, then Tkachuk, then Norris... point is, while he played with some good players, his main linemates at ES were far below those of Lundell.

I think Stutzle will separate himself in the future, however:
1) Both players need to grow into their frames more, but Stutzle is a far more physical player and I think an increase in strength will have a greater impact on his play than the same growth will have on Lundell.
2) Lundell may always be better defensively, but Stutzle has the smarts, the effort, and the commitment to improve that makes me quite confident he will be a good defensive player.
3) Stutzle's skill and offensive IQ are simply on a higher level. He also shoots & skates better. Lundell may be the better passer.
4) While Lundell will likely be a very good PP player, Stutzle already is a dynamic threat on the PP and will continue to improve.
5) Stutzle will draw as many penalties as anyone over the next decade. As he grows stronger, he will shed the diver label and will just be a raging bull who opponents cheat to stop.

Right now, I would say they are both good 2nd liners. Lundell should be an elite 2nd C or a solid #1C, but I think Stutzle can and will be a borderline-superstar C. I didn't think this way before last season... thought he would be an allstar, 1st line winger. But he quieted a lot of my concerns over the course of the year.
Lundell easily. Kid was always going to be a stud from day one.
Saying "easily" discredits you pretty immediately. I can see why someone takes Lundell today and moving forward. If you think it's not close, well, then you must think Lundell will be stealing the #1C job from Barkov pretty soon.

Both are stud players, right now, and both will continue to grow.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
For those saying stutzle is the better 5 on 5 player, Lundell outperformed stutzle at 5 on 5 with less games played.

• Haha
Reactions: Play

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
For those saying stutzle is the better 5 on 5 player, Lundell outperformed stutzle at 5 on 5 with less games played.

Gives me vibes of leafs fans arguing Luke Schenn outperformed Erik Karlsson 5v5 following the 2010/2011 season. Similar arguments that Schenn was actually close offensively and the only difference was that Karlsson got PP time etc. Not to say Lundell will take a similar career path but it’s a pretty weak argument. Using statistics is fine and all but when it’s your sole argument, its trouble.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
(disclaimer : not a direct comparison)

This is like comparing MacKinnon and Barkov

I'd really like to have both but gun to my head I take Stutzle. Luckily for Ottawa, they have Shane Pinto. He might not be as elite as Lundell but he will be pretty high end 2-way center too

My 2020 pre-draft, I had 1. Lafreniere 2. Stutzle 3. Byfield 4. Raymond 5. Drysdale then had a tier with Sanderson, Rossi, Lundell and Holtz

I was very high on Lundell so I was kinda expecting him to be that good that early. Stutzle is beast in development though. I'm linking this video to those who haven't had the chance to scout Stutzle that much :

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Gives me vibes of leafs fans arguing Luke Schenn outperformed Erik Karlsson 5v5 following the 2010/2011 season. Similar arguments that Schenn was actually close offensively and the only difference was that Karlsson got PP time etc. Not to say Lundell will take a similar career path but it’s a pretty weak argument. Using statistics is fine and all but when it’s your sole argument, its trouble.
I don't know about the Luke Schenn v. EK argument,

but right now, at 5 on 5

1662050797934.png

1662050759645.png

These are not insignificant data points. Lundell was a superior producer at 5 on 5 than Stutlze. 5 more points in 14 less games is a decent gap.

Lundell has the advantage in per 60 metrics as well. So it's not like his better 5 on 5 numbers are a product of more ice time.

Stutzle has established himself as a very good player on the PP. Lundell hasn't been given that opportunity yet.

And because I have these available to me...

1662051073905.png

1662051129910.png

In conclsion, IMO Right now Lundell has established himself as the better player. Would I take him over Stutzle long term? I'll give it a homer yes, but won't really blame people for wanting the potential of Stutzle.

Attachments

• 1662050685852.png
    1662050685852.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 18

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Consider me skeptical that Lundell's production is an indicator of elite offensive potential when he played in a high-powered offense in which Mason freaking Marchment produced almost a point per game.

44 points in 65 games played is impressive, but when that makes you the 7th highest scoring forward on your team it should raise some eyebrows.

No doubt he has the potential to develop into a #1 center with his smart two-way game, but I don't think he'll ever out-produce Stutzle when both are in their primes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's a pretty huge discrepancy in terms of the supporting environment - with one guy playing for a President's Trophy winning team and the other for a non-playoff team.

Yes, Lundell hasn't gotten the same opportunities, but he's also playing on a much stronger team from top to bottom.

In general, with younger players, I'll favour the player with the better offensive skill set as defense is something that can be taught.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There's a pretty huge discrepancy in terms of the supporting environment - with one guy playing for a President's Trophy winning team and the other for a non-playoff team.

Yes, Lundell hasn't gotten the same opportunities, but he's also playing on a much stronger team from top to bottom.

In general, with younger players, I'll favour the player with the better offensive skill set as defense is something that can be taught.

Defense can be taught but doesn't mean someone will continue to pursue that aspect of the game.

Gimme the player who thinks 200ft all the time with potential to be a legit 2C/low end #1C if Barkov wasn't here.

Even if Stutzle has say 7-10 extra points a year on average, not sure he will be the 200ft player Lundell is looking to become.

Feels like more of a preference pick than say Stutzle or Lundell will be [-----] this much better argument

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Let's not forget that Lundell is a 2001 born while Stutzle is a 2002 born.

The apples to apples comparison when it comes to their seasons it to compare Stutzle's upcoming season to Lundell's past season.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Gurglesons

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Let's not forget that Lundell is a 2001 born while Stutzle is a 2002 born.

The apples to apples comparison when it comes to their seasons it to compare Stutzle's upcoming season to Lundell's past season.

Assen na yo!
you kill me with the stuff you come up with.

Lundell was born October 3, 2001.

Stutzle was born January 15, 2002.

Roughly 3.5 months apart.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In conclsion, IMO Right now Lundell has established himself as the better player. Would I take him over Stutzle long term? I'll give it a homer yes, but won't really blame people for wanting the potential of Stutzle.

Thats fine. And I’m not trying to say anyone is wrong for picking Lundell. I just find the 5v5 argument has been rather underwhelming over the years. Especially early in careers.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I don't know about the Luke Schenn v. EK argument,

but right now, at 5 on 5

View attachment 580846

View attachment 580845

These are not insignificant data points. Lundell was a superior producer at 5 on 5 than Stutlze. 5 more points in 14 less games is a decent gap.

Lundell has the advantage in per 60 metrics as well. So it's not like his better 5 on 5 numbers are a product of more ice time.

Stutzle has established himself as a very good player on the PP. Lundell hasn't been given that opportunity yet.

And because I have these available to me...

View attachment 580847

View attachment 580848

Lundell also has the advantage of being on a presidents trophy team, where one of his line mates was PPG on the 3rd line. Both good players, but Stutzle carried his line and was one of the best players in the league during the second half of the season and looks to be ascending into the next tier of superstars.

Reactions: bert

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
How is this even a question? Tim Stützle Is one of the best players in the league. Kids grow up wanting to be Tim Stützle - not Anton Lundell.

This isn’t even close. If you say Lundell here you’re delusional and a homer.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad