Prospect Info: Anton Lundell (2020, #12 overall), HIFK (Liiga) - signed ELC 6/7/2021

Sports24-7

Feb 19, 2007
Why is it that this is the only pick they didn't break down in the draft coverage? They announced the pick, then showed Carolina was up next, went to commercial, an interview, then the next pick. Ridiculous.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's a good pick, but I just can't get that excited about a defensively responsible center prospect. I prefer offensive upside in the 1st round, but seems like he was the best pick for us at 12. Wouldn't have minded trading down, but I'm not too upset.
We need forwards to help keep the puck outta the net too lol. Scoring shouldnt be an issue depending what happens Thursday

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Our forwards part Acciari and Barkov are pretty allergic to backchecking. This is exactly what we need. It’s even better in such an important position like C.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
From what I’ve read/heard, he is a very smart player and is very mature.

I think I like this pick.

Apparently he’s not the best skater though and that could make it harder for him to reach his full potential at the NHL level.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Wait...Lundell is already 19? He just turned it a few days ago, but you're telling me that this is his second year of eligibility? That he's nowhere near ready for the NHL even though he has two seasons in a men's league?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think he said he wants to play one more year in Liiga, but we'll see. He probably should.

Btw, Lundell really wanted to go top 10, I read in one article. So he'll probably have a chip on his shoulder to show everyone they were wrong.

By one more year you mean this year or next year as well?
Good, hopefully he comes to camp motivated.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Wait...Lundell is already 19? He just turned it a few days ago, but you're telling me that this is his second year of eligibility? That he's nowhere near ready for the NHL even though he has two seasons in a men's league?
The draft was delayed, so some of the older players in the class have turned 19.

Reactions: Anantika

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
And we’re not asking him or expecting him to be our #1 franchise center. He should be a very solid second line center. Had the size and dimensions, experience playing pro hockey, strong on the defensive side, well rounded player, should fill that 2C role just fine.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
From what I’ve read/heard, he is a very smart player and is very mature.

I think I like this pick.

Apparently he’s not the best skater though and that could make it harder for him to reach his full potential at the NHL level.
This was true last season. His skating is VERY much improved now. He was clocked in a game as being the fastest player.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We need forwards to help keep the puck outta the net too lol. Scoring shouldnt be an issue depending what happens Thursday

Plus, put Lundell with talented linemates and he will put up decent points. Definitely more than anyone did for us last season at 2C. This makes our forward group more balanced and gives us more size as well. Scoring won't be an issue for us for a long time. Tippett should be at least a decent top 6 scorer, he's a true blue sniper. I mean if you basically switch him out for Dadonov...I mean...we were 6th in gf last season, and that was with Barkov having a down year.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It’s his first year of eligibility lol. And he’s ready for the NHL already.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I meant that it's good he still wants to be connected to the team, if there was bad blood or something he would've probably just "Ight Imma Head Out" with FLA's pick coming up and Lundell still available.
Ah: he was in the room when Lundell was selected...I didn’t see it :)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sweet.

Zito said he was going to be leaning on kekalainen since he didn’t do much scouting this year.

Even Dale Tallon listened Jari Kekalainen.
Kekalainen was a mastermind to draft Barkov and Borgstrom.
And don't get me wrong it's only good if GM listens his head-scout in drafting decisions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad