Rumor: Anton Khudobin has Vancouver on his list

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
May need to move Benning out to take that next step

His ability to draft (or hire the right folks to draft) is great but his signing of free agents is brutal

If Vancouver was smarter about deals they handed out the last few years, theyd have enough cap to save their best guys and shop for a scorer like Hall or a defenseman like Pietrangelo
I feel that his reputation as a good draft person is somewhat over-stated as well. Yes Pettersson and Hughes have been eye opening player and there are a few nice complementary pieces as well with Brock , Demko and Gaudette but he missed with Vitranen and Juolevi early in the first round and there are only 3 of his non-first round picks that are even in the NHL right now (I know some could still make it, but currently there is only 3 in 6 years) and those 3 players are not world beaters - Demko a high second, current back up goalie with starter potential as early as this year, Forsling - a #7/8 dman and Gaudette a 3rd line C with some offensive upside.

This doesn't take into account terrible Benning trades where he moved picks for players such as a 2nd for Baertschi that Calgary turned into Rasmus Andersson, 2 draft picks along with McCann for Eric Gudbranson to name a few. I was a Benning bro for the first couple of years but I have lost all faith he has the mental capacity to be an NHL GM.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Khudobin can get into trouble when he’s overactive and has lots of cross slot movement in front of him. He would be an absolute disaster playing behind our defence.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Strange feeling having players have Vancouver on their list. It's been a while since that last occurred. Must be a sign we're headed right direction finally.
Vancouver's always been on the list. Top 5 destination in the league. Them and Toronto are the only places UFAs ever go anymore in Canada.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Vancouver's always been on the list. Top 5 destination in the league. Them and Toronto are the only places UFAs ever go anymore in Canada.
They were under Gillis but by no means have I heard players actively saying I'll go there since Benning has been here. The city itself for sure is a destination however plenty of great cities in NHL to choose from.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Seems like every player has expressed interest in Vancouver recently.
I imagine quite a bit of it is the typical Canadian market pandering. It’s believable so more than one will spin up such a story either out of nothing or just breadcrumbs

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Strange feeling having players have Vancouver on their list. It's been a while since that last occurred. Must be a sign we're headed right direction finally.
Vancouver has always been in on the high end UFAs, they just typically aren’t the final choice.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
If Vancouver cant re-sign Markstrom then someone like Khudobin makes a lot of sense. Khudobin would be cheaper than Markstrom, for less term, and he could split games with Demko until Demko takes over as their #1.
Aaand NO trade protection. Perfect for expansion fodder.

Also, goalie coach Ian Clark will turn him into a star.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
They were under Gillis but by no means have I heard players actively saying I'll go there since Benning has been here. The city itself for sure is a destination however plenty of great cities in NHL to choose from.
Well because of the rebuild lol. That's changed for the better now for sure.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad