GDT: anton dubinchuks special hurricanes vs canuckistan vancouverians

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Was he being sarcastic there?

Had to be. It took forever, and I was pissed, because it totally got the crowd out of excitement mode. Luckily, that was their only timeout.

Have I mentioned before that hockey has ruined me on basketball because hockey only allows one timeout? Now I **** on basketball for being so oft to stop game play...used to be a big fan, though.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
In fairness, these are two teams that were in the bottom 5 in the standings to start the night, with no real "superstars" on the team, in a non-traditional market, with low attendance.

Not surprising to me that it's not a top story on NHL.com

Oh, it's definitely not surprising just funny is all. Even for bottom feeders, great sports moments are great sports moments.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If the Canucks fire Desjardins on the back of last night's game, how many coaches will have met their demise after playing us? Sounds like a research job for one of me, Tarheel, or Vagrant. I'd fully support putting up a board with kill marks up in PNC. I'd also advocate that Taxi Taxi strike up a deal with the NHL to be the Official Taxi Service of Recently Fired NHL Coaches.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Well the NHL may not of given us a lot of love. But the game managed to get highlighted this mornin on Sportscenter.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
BTW did anybody hear the person who called into The Aftermath who was *sure* that Jacob Markstrom was Edmonton's goalie in the 2006 SCF after Roloson went down? This was one of the times I wish Maniscalco was still on the show as Morgan Patrick seemed to have no clue we were even in the Finals, let alone that we played the Oilers and that their goalie after Roloson went down was Jussi Markkanen (who never played in the NHL after Game 7, is Finnish instead of Swedish, and 15 years older than Markstrom).

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
BTW did anybody hear the person who called into The Aftermath who was *sure* that Jacob Markstrom was Edmonton's goalie in the 2006 SCF after Roloson went down? This was one of the times I wish Maniscalco was still on the show as Morgan Patrick seemed to have no clue we were even in the Finals, let alone that we played the Oilers and that their goalie after Roloson went down was Jussi Markkanen (who never played in the NHL after Game 7, is Finnish instead of Swedish, and 15 years older than Markstrom).
Didn't hear that call but no surprise. Patrick seems to be likeable enough but he's just plain awful. Hard to know if he's ill-prepared or just ignorant of facts but it feels like he's happy to just glad-hand his way along by calling everyone "buddy." He's right there with Mark Roberts and Mark Thomas in that regard.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jussi Markkanen -> Jacob Markstrom is close to Tom Screen kind of awesomeness.

I blame King Henrik. Hope the Raanta boy'll show them who is it again that brings on the goalies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I knew reading this thread was going to be a treat. Thanks for not disappointing, fellas. I must have laughed for a solid 6 minutes straight in the third. I loved how giddy Peters was afterwards, couldn't even remember who scored what and when.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Just remember, we scored a food hat trick last night even if Skinny didn't get a hat trick on the ice. I'm going to Moe's for lunch to get some free queso. Didn't get a Boberry this morning. Already have leftover Papa John's from the other night so no pizza either.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Just remember, we scored a food hat trick last night even if Skinny didn't get a hat trick on the ice. I'm going to Moe's for lunch to get some free queso. Didn't get a Boberry this morning. Already have leftover Papa John's from the other night so no pizza either.
Send me some, I can`t order it here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oh, it's definitely not surprising just funny is all. Even for bottom feeders, great sports moments are great sports moments.

Well the NHL may not of given us a lot of love. But the game managed to get highlighted this mornin on Sportscenter.

NHL.com must have taken notice. When I go to NHL.com, the Canes game is the 2nd story of the ones they flash across the screen (after the CHI/NYR game).

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
i am going to post this shirtless picture of me doing tummo in the snow in every gdt until we lose a game

#dealwithit

15380779_10154562451515709_7843474622208694920_n.jpg

Encore! Encore!

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
This thread to read was priceless. The emotions from the 2nd to 3rd, too funny :laugh:

Lucky for me, my seats are at the end where all the goals occurred, except Sutter's. Was irritated and frustrated seeing Vancouver's 4 goals happen right in front of me. Seemed like the team had a hard time defending whenever a player was behind the net. It was like they were lost on an island. Then it was great and euphoric to see the Canes score 6 goals. That was crazy, wild, and just flat out awesome. Miller kept looking at Markstrom like dude, get your ass out here, save me :laugh:

When Miller was getting pulled, I don't think I've heard that arena as loud as it was in a long time. The building was electric and LOUD.

Leighton was scaring the crap out of me in those last few minutes and especially on that last PK. Glad he was able to hold it together.

Was a fun night.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This thread to read was priceless. The emotions from the 2nd to 3rd, too funny :laugh:
Needless to say, a LOT of the fans in the arena also were saying similar things to what I went back and read in the GDT. :laugh:

Lucky for me, my seats are at the end where all the goals occurred, except Sutter's. Was irritated and frustrated seeing Vancouver's 4 goals happen right in front of me. Seemed like the team had a hard time defending whenever a player was behind the net. It was like they were lost on an island.

Sutter's as well as the Vancouver 1st goal were on the North end, but yeah, all the rest were on the south, where I sat. Was a blast to watch the comeback. A fun night for sure.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If the Canucks fire Desjardins on the back of last night's game, how many coaches will have met their demise after playing us? Sounds like a research job for one of me, Tarheel, or Vagrant. I'd fully support putting up a board with kill marks up in PNC. I'd also advocate that Taxi Taxi strike up a deal with the NHL to be the Official Taxi Service of Recently Fired NHL Coaches.

I saw this tweet and both chuckled and felt sorry for the Canucks.

[Tweet]807830938541387777[/MEDIA]

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Reading the Vancouver GDT is as much or more a treat than reading ours. A lot of ******** on us as a team\organization through 2... then we dropped an atom bomb on their ***** in the 3rd.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Ty Conklin, then Markkanen starting with game 2. Conklin was the one who got caught behind the net at the end of that game when Brindy stole the puck and scored.

Reading the Vancouver GDT is as much or more a treat than reading ours. A lot of ******** on us as a team\organization through 2... then we dropped an atom bomb on their ***** in the 3rd.

Oh that was the best part, in the 2nd they were all like "that team needs to move to Seattle." I wanted so bad after the game to drop in and be like "If we need to move to Seattle, then where the hell are you going to move?" But I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd.

Last edited:

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh

Yeah that was pretty hilarious to read. Reading how Carolina sucks and have ****** goaltender, then the tables turned. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
3. Where you with someone Swedish and was there a blond wig around to be found when you came to your senses?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I've watched the highlight of the Rask goal like 20 times. That was a pretty, pretty goal.

I especially liked Miller's reaction to it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Time to tell my story....

Last night had all the kids and their girlfriends over to help finish decorating for Christmas. Had the game on but muted in a couple of rooms. My sons, diehard Hurricanes fans, were riding the emotional roller coaster all night. I would dip in and dip out as I had some outdoor "Clark Griswald" activities to take care of.

Once we were down 5-2, I remember saying to my son that getting that 3rd goal quickly would be key if we were to make any sort of comeback. Sure enough less than two minutes into the 3rd and we were on the move. Then came the Hainsey goal and I heard my son yell out "we scored" and I thought he was still referencing that one. I went to watch the replay and told my son, "that wasn't Hainsey, it was Rask". He was giddy laughing and telling me that I needed to get with the program because we had scored another goal to tie the game. The rest was general hilarity as we hung lights, screamed at the TV, and laughed all night.

Then I started thinking about what this board was going to look like. I could only imagine the comment thread. Of course, when I finally got a chance to read it (and I've read the entire thread), it did not disappoint. This was one of the happiest times I've ever had watching (and missing parts) of a game. And this is definitely the best thread on this board that I've read in a while. What a great day!!!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Ty Conklin, then Markkanen starting with game 2. Conklin was the one who got caught behind the net at the end of that game when Brindy stole the puck and scored.

No worries, Robo, I remember Conklin's disastrous relief of Roloson after Ladd got pushed into him by Marc-Andre Bergeron. You know how much I love debunking the fairy tales about our run in 2006 that some like to tell themselves to try to explain away our win, like the infamous "Canes took out Koivu to take out Montreal's best player" myths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad