Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

haf

Mar 3, 2008
He's a tweener. On average he's just going to look like a good fourth liner, give the team some energy, get them motivated, stand up for teammates. On good days he's going to look like a prime Steve Ott.

Exactly this. If only prime Steve Ott had been more prime Steve Ott.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Steve Ott brings much more offense than Roussel ever will. He is good for maybe 10 goals a season.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Steve Ott brings much more offense than Roussel ever will. He is good for maybe 10 goals a season.

On average yes he did but Roussel will have games where he looks like Ott did at his offensive best. Roussel can really turn his game up a notch at times.

Most fourth liners won't have more than a couple games a year where they look like more than fourth liners. In an 82 game schedule, I'd probably say Roussel will have 30-40 games where he looks like a third liner or better. Maybe 5-10 games where he looks like a top six player.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
On average yes he did but Roussel will have games where he looks like Ott did at his offensive best. Roussel can really turn his game up a notch at times.

Most fourth liners won't have more than a couple games a year where they look like more than fourth liners. In an 82 game schedule, I'd probably say Roussel will have 30-40 games where he looks like a third liner or better. Maybe 5-10 games where he looks like a top six player.

when ott put up points, it usually looked more like luck to me. roussel seems to have far better speed, and, as odd as it sounds, offensive instincts. i'd put a decent wager on him beating out ott for career points in the nhl.

aloonda*

when ott put up points, it usually looked more like luck to me. roussel seems to have far better speed, and, as odd as it sounds, offensive instincts. i'd put a decent wager on him beating out ott for career points in the nhl.

I hope so

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I will take that internet bet for sure. When Steve Ott is on your 3rd line, your team is a cup contender. When Roussel is on your 3rd line your team has an injury crisis.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I will take that internet bet for sure. When Steve Ott is on your 3rd line, your team is a cup contender. When Roussel is on your 3rd line your team has an injury crisis.

gah. i just looked up stats for freaking steve ott and antoine roussell. good grief.

ppg are close.. ott with a slight edge.. .395 vs .345.

ott is 31, roussel 23. roussell would need 231 points in the next 7 years to match ott's current total. 33 pts a year.

maybe i won't put a huge wager on that, but... it's possible. maybe i'm not looking at it clearly because i can't stand ott.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
gah. i just looked up stats for freaking steve ott and antoine roussell. good grief.

ppg are close.. ott with a slight edge.. .395 vs .345.

ott is 31, roussel 23. roussell would need 231 points in the next 7 years to match ott's current total. 33 pts a year.

maybe i won't put a huge wager on that, but... it's possible. maybe i'm not looking at it clearly because i can't stand ott.

To be fair to you look at their average TOI. Ott gets way more minutes, including power play and he plays up Buffalo's lineup in addition to playing wing for Ribiero for several years. Roussel is never going to get ice time or linemates like that, no offense to Eakin or Garbutt. Right now he's playing 5-6+ minutes less per game. Therein lies the difficulty but I think Roussel can improve and more copy Garbutt's style to shoot everything and produce more points. He's a 25-35 pt/season guy and there's great value in that from a bottom six player which Ott is no longer being played like.

aloonda*

with the rooster starting to take more and more faceoffs----could he end up being our 4th line center? he has the speed and two way effort to play our 4th line ?/???????

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Sign him up long-term.. He's going to be that guy who'll score big goals in the playoffs, is already a fan favorite and who the other teams will hate for us having...

He's showed that he has the discipline to back down when needed but there have been games where he has stepped up and him and his line has been the difference. With Garbutt his contribution has gone up and this season has only been his first full-length in the NHL. In a year or two he will be a elite 3rd-4th liner in this league.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
I don't know if this has been posted, but here.

A bunch of interviews and behind the scenes stuff.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
:laugh: Oh my God that intro. I can imagine the pitch, "OK, so we're going to have you shoot pucks at cans on a fence in a field with a cowboy hat on..."

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I try not to talk about Roussel because I know everyone loves him except me, but those types of interactions with the officials are exactly the kind of thing I was afraid of and suspected from a distance. It's a throwback to the rotten culture we had with Morrow/Ribs/Ott and the lack of respect for officials that ultimately works against the club. He can sign as many autographs as he wants, I really don't care. Also the fact that Nill describes him as being part of the core makes me uneasy about Nill's judgment. If Roussel goes down the Ott road how long will it take to decouple him from the team?

Bkennedy*

I try not to talk about Roussel because I know everyone loves him except me, but those types of interactions with the officials are exactly the kind of thing I was afraid of and suspected from a distance. It's a throwback to the rotten culture we had with Morrow/Ribs/Ott and the lack of respect for officials that ultimately works against the club. He can sign as many autographs as he wants, I really don't care. Also the fact that Nill describes him as being part of the core makes me uneasy about Nill's judgment.

Literally any GM in the league would want a player just like him and describe him in the exact same manner.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think you can have one guy like that without it really hurting the team too much. There's a difference between your captains leading the *****-fest and your second year checking line player.

Bkennedy*

So literally 30 GMs would describe Antoine Roussel as a core player. Okay.

Easily. I think you're taking the word core in too much of a literal sense. I don't think GMJN2.0 actually thinks he's a player you want to build around. More so that he's a very quality bottom line guy that you're going to want to keep as long as humanly possible.

aloonda*

I try not to talk about Roussel because I know everyone loves him except me, but those types of interactions with the officials are exactly the kind of thing I was afraid of and suspected from a distance. It's a throwback to the rotten culture we had with Morrow/Ribs/Ott and the lack of respect for officials that ultimately works against the club. He can sign as many autographs as he wants, I really don't care. Also the fact that Nill describes him as being part of the core makes me uneasy about Nill's judgment. If Roussel goes down the Ott road how long will it take to decouple him from the team?

bull

every cutaway to lindy or nill they talk about the fine line

they know what it is

rooster crossed it against the dumaaaaaaaa refs in the carolina game---so what? ott went full on idiot way more than that

rooster is a good dude that gets fired up---treats people right, plays his ass off

i want him on this team, for a long long damn time

aloonda*

Easily. I think you're taking the word core in too much of a literal sense. I don't think GMJN2.0 actually thinks he's a player you want to build around. More so that he's a very quality bottom line guy that you're going to want to keep as long as humanly possible.

he's a much better cleary in nill's eyes

every team needs role players----for his role, we have one of the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad