Confirmed with Link: Anthony "Punch yo' Face" Peluso signed 2-year extension (675k AAV)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So you don't think hits and physical play (in absence of forechecking and defensive play considerations) have much impact on the outcome of a game or the season?

I'm not sure I'm convinced of that.

No doubt, the more Peluso plays real hockey, the less of an issue it becomes.

No I didn't say that. I don't think the 'long game' argument stands up. We don't play Peluso so that the Kings will run out of steam in March. His hitting last night was productive. Smart hitting affects the outcome of games in more ways than one. There are more ways than one to play a physical game too. Lowry's physical game is very productive. I think there is more intimidation in good hitting than in occassional fights between fighters.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I've previously discussed this topic in articles before.

This is called "latent variables".

Cool.
I spent a while looking at some of the articles you've written on the subject. It's interesting and well presented. In the interests of a fun debate, I'm going to do my best to poke some holes in it.

But first, what I agree with:

I have to say though that I am extremely skeptical on your fight argument, both in injury protect and booster. There is a lot of counter evidence.

Ok. I'm going to buy this. This wasn't the main thrust of my argument, so let's agree for now that fighting isn't helpful (other than perhaps for entertainment value).

The issue with the immeasurable is that you can't measure it.
Is the player actually helping out there?
Does it actually eventually lead into making up for where they hurting?

For sure. We're relying on gut feeling, rather than hard data, to qualify the impact of these latent variables ("intangibles").

In one of your articles, you address this, from the standpoint of coaches and other team decision makers, as follows.

They could be wrong on how much value to place into intangibles, they could be wrong which intangibles impact more, they could be wrong in how much intangible an individual has.

They could also be right.

I agree with this.

You also say this about intangibles:

It is a completely understandable and logical assumption to make by a rational and win-interested human to make.

Still, there is the caveat that the coach or manager may be assuming wrongfully. We know that latent variables must have an impact on the game. It makes sense that they do and there is empirical evidence in workplace sociology studies.

I agree with this, too.

I'm glad you brought up the workplace sociology studies. This perhaps means that latent variables are not truly "immeasurable". They're just... "fuzzy". We know they're there. We just lack the proper techniques and data to perfectly quantify their impact.

However, the issue with this is that just because something seems intuitive, it doesn't necessarily work out in the order of importance that one would assume.

For example, we see this in face offs. Face offs matter, but not nearly to the degree that many would, and used to, think.

I buy this. Conclusions such as this are certainly a victory for advanced stats. They refute an incorrect assumption, an incorrect gut feeling that was (is?) prevalent in today's NHL.

But, now on to the main point I want to challenge.

But, there is the issue with no one truly knowing the value of Y, or intangibles.

The safest way to look at intangibles then is as a tie breaker. On-ice contributions should still stay the primary focus with evaluating a player.

I don't see how you can justify this statement.

Since we don't know the value of Y (although our gut tells us it is important, and there are those sociology studies), I would counter it is equally dangerous to ignore it.

It's like if I gave you a mystery box. There might be poisonous spiders inside. Or there might be a bazillion dollars. Or a cure for cancer. You don't know. Is it more dangerous to open it? Or leave it closed?

In the absence of any evidence, it's hard to argue either way. But, we do have some evidence - namely that gut feeling, and those sociology studies.

If in fact the mystery box (the intangibles) are beneficial, the coaches who use them have an advantage over those who don't. So, ignoring the box is dangerous. Ignoring the box makes you a worse team.

The faceoff thing does show how our gut feelings can be misguided. And I've also appreciated arguments you've made elsewhere in how our brains tend to key in to single events (like a big hit, or bad turn over) rather than seeing the big picture.

But there are also cases where the human mind is very effective at processing information and making decisions on "immeasurable" perceptions. There are many examples of this in computing. Image recognition is one. Humans are extremely good at looking at a picture, and telling you what it is. Computers (which are akin to analytics here) are very bad at it. I remember an entertaining story about this from a Computer Science class. The US military invested in computer technology to identify pictures of tanks, say from images taken from satellite imagery. They thought it worked. But...

Eventually someone noticed that in the original set of 200 photos, all the images with tanks had been taken on a cloudy day while all the images without tanks had been taken on a sunny day. The neural network had been asked to separate the two groups of photos and it had chosen the most obvious way to do it - not by looking for a camouflaged tank hiding behind a tree, but merely by looking at the colour of the sky. The military was now the proud owner of a multi-million dollar mainframe computer that could tell you if it was sunny or not.

From Neural Network Follies

The point is, in the absence of proper analytics, or proper computers, the safer bet may be to rely on "gut feeling". It's not infallible. But it's better than nothing, if it's all you got.

So if a coach's gut feeling tells us that Peluso's intangibles outweigh Petan's skill in certain match-ups, it's hard to argue. We can't point to analytics to do it, because we don't know the value of the intangibles. Any counter-argument we make is equally an attempt to measure the "immeasurable". That puts us on equally shaky ground that we're accusing TNSE of doing. The only difference is that Maurice is a lifelong expert, and most of us are not. And if we have to trust gut feeling one way or the other, I'd go with the lifelong expert.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't see how you can justify this statement.

Since we don't know the value of Y (although our gut tells us it is important, and there are those sociology studies), I would counter it is equally dangerous to ignore it.

It's like if I gave you a mystery box. There might be poisonous spiders inside. Or there might be a bazillion dollars. Or a cure for cancer. You don't know. Is it more dangerous to open it? Or leave it closed?

In the absence of any evidence, it's hard to argue either way. But, we do have some evidence - namely that gut feeling, and those sociology studies.

If in fact the mystery box (the intangibles) are beneficial, the coaches who use them have an advantage over those who don't. So, ignoring the box is dangerous. Ignoring the box makes you a worse team.

Close. It's hard to actually get an analogy but it is more like this... You have two options:

I can give you approximately $100 right now, and I'll also either give or take small untraceable amounts from your bank account throughout the year...
This unknown amount you have a feeling about, but you are not certain and no one has had any way to know for sure.

Is similar but different.
Instead I'm taking from you $100 instead of giving to you.
The unknown amount (which may be positive or negative), you again don't know the value for sure. Your feeling tells you that it's more than #1, but you could be wrong.

There is a known amount and a mystery box in both choices. It's not choosing a known amount versus a mystery box.

The faceoff thing does show how our gut feelings can be misguided. And I've also appreciated arguments you've made elsewhere in how our brains tend to key in to single events (like a big hit, or bad turn over) rather than seeing the big picture.

But there are also cases where the human mind is very effective at processing information and making decisions on "immeasurable" perceptions. There are many examples of this in computing. Image recognition is one. Humans are extremely good at looking at a picture, and telling you what it is. Computers (which are akin to analytics here) are very bad at it. I remember an entertaining story about this from a Computer Science class. The US military invested in computer technology to identify pictures of tanks, say from images taken from satellite imagery. They thought it worked. But...

The point is, in the absence of proper analytics, or proper computers, the safer bet may be to rely on "gut feeling". It's not infallible. But it's better than nothing, if it's all you got.

So if a coach's gut feeling tells us that Peluso's intangibles outweigh Petan's skill in certain match-ups, it's hard to argue. We can't point to analytics to do it, because we don't know the value of the intangibles. Any counter-argument we make is equally an attempt to measure the "immeasurable". That puts us on equally shaky ground that we're accusing TNSE of doing. The only difference is that Maurice is a lifelong expert, and most of us are not. And if we have to trust gut feeling one way or the other, I'd go with the lifelong expert.

I wouldn't. Why?

Well... they are not exactly experts in that field we are discussing.
Most coaches and GMs grow up in one of the worst manners in terms of being influenced by biases. Most coaches or GMs are players that played pro (or related to players who did). It's very much a "old boys club". It's a career where we see most of the individuals hired by one team are those fired by another.
While there are things that I do believe the top level coaches do indeed do well, and 100% believe they do better on average than I would by a decent extent, it's not necessarily that these guys are experts in every section that their field covers.

Also, we see a lot of failure in evaluation from these individuals in the contract market. There is a high failure rate with buyouts, players placed on one line then moved, players sent on waivers and picked up by another team to succeed, fall in the draft due to "character" and end up being great player and person, etc.

I've also had a friend who I trust in this area of science (he works high up in the social sciences) and he took a look at stuff like combine interviews and questionnaires and felt that teams were failing in asking the right questions and have the right wording in order to learn more about the players.

On top, we also see coaches change their opinions exceptionally on player valuation all the time.
I enjoy when a player is good enough for the top line one day, and then the next is a healthy scratch, and then the next day is a fourth line (or defender moved to forward and back :naughty:).

This is just not an area I'm ready to place blind trust in, yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad