Recalled/Assigned: Anthony Mantha

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Really like what I saw from Mantha last night. He went a long way to erasing the sour memories of watching how he played in G-Raps that really had me down on him as an impact guy. Going even further though, his presence just reinforces what really is killing this team offensively. The lack of effective size. Not Riley Sheahan "size" where a guy is just tall, but a guy who can move somebody off the puck or create space by being strong on his skates and establishing position. We are in dire need of that. If we had great team speed (which we don't) and excellent puck movers on defense (which we don't) we could compensate for that lack of size by being a track team that nobody could catch. Instead we can't transition the puck out of our end so we can't generate anything on the rush, which would be the strength of our team if we had d-men who could pass. Anyways, hopefully Mantha continues to provide that kind of presence going forward.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
As punishment for not making the difference, his TOI will go down next game. It's the light version of the AA-treatment. :sarcasm:

chris05

May 23, 2013
No matter how much you limit AA's ice time he still finds a way to make the highlight reel. Another beauty with a different twist. It begins and ends with the goal scorer. 4 different wing players make a play with the puck before receiving a nice feed from RS to finish it off.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Decent game for him. Struggled at times...hopefully first game jitters, but I've learned to give that type of thing a much shorter leash and hopefully it's gone next game.

Can we talk about how he started his NHL career by fumbling the puck twice and then falling down on his face the first time he ever touched the puck? Gotta be embarrassing

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Decent game for him. Struggled at times...hopefully first game jitters, but I've learned to give that type of thing a much shorter leash and hopefully it's gone next game.

Can we talk about how he started his NHL career by fumbling the puck twice and then falling down on his face the first time he ever touched the puck? Gotta be embarrassing

No, because he played well the rest of the game. So who cares?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
No, because he played well the rest of the game. So who cares?

I agree. He looked extremely nervous in the first. From the 2nd and onward he was fine. Won some battles along the corners. Kept a play alive to set up Datsyuks 2nd goal. Drove the net. Good game from him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bummed I missed his debut, but was traveling all day yesterday.

39 is a pretty awful number though, hoping that is just temporary.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
39 is a fine number. It is a number and it's square. It's a multiple of 13 and ....other reasons

He used his body to shield the puck very well. I was wondering what he was doing because his reach is so long it looks like interference before he reaches for the puck

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
39 is a goalie number tbh.. Mantha should've picked like 94 (birth year), don't think there are any other 94 in the league either

Too bad useless Abdelkader has his #8 junior number

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I am not as impressed with Mantha as some posters which want to put a "good face" on any new rookie.

Basically he is 6-4, and boy do players 6-4 look better in general than Pulkkinen.

I.E. people can IMAGINE Mantha being good. I saw nothing very impressive last game... Lets not get our hopes up... but lets wait to praise him for doing something actually useful.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I am not as impressed with Mantha as some posters which want to put a "good face" on any new rookie.

Basically he is 6-4, and boy do players 6-4 look better in general than Pulkkinen.

I.E. people can IMAGINE Mantha being good. I saw nothing very impressive last game... Lets not get our hopes up... but lets wait to praise him for doing something actually useful.

If you didn't see that Mantha played better than Pulks just from that one game, then I don't know what to tell you. To me, he is a major upgrade from Pulks. He's very noticeable.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
pulkinnen is redundant on a team with small soft forwards. literally the only thing he has on anyone is his shot and he can't hit the net to save his life

wings need more size and mantha adds just that

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I meant Mantha is big so provides what pulkkinen does not. Was not trying to compare them except for size.

Overall I am not "impressed" yet. Would like to see more.

I guess im just tired of everyone here saying

Tatar is crap
Nyquist is crap
Zetterberg is crap
Larkin was crap today (sometimes)
Pulks is crap
Helm is crap
sheahan is crap
Jurco is crap
Richards is crap (This i agree with LOL)
Oh oh and Mantha was great... what a shining jewel in our sea of crap.

Nah man, he looked just as "crappy" as the rest of them.

I am not saying he wont be good. But this 1 game praise for someone who looked as shaky as he did. If we just put #39 on Tatar's back today, i bet eveyone would be praising the 2 point game, and the next McDavid we have on our hands.

Prospects arn't everything. And I was mildly impressed at best. I want to see more. And I am not giving him credit for simply shooting the puck on net a few times.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
pulkinnen is redundant on a team with small soft forwards. literally the only thing he has on anyone is his shot and he can't hit the net to save his life

wings need more size and mantha adds just that

Exactly my point.

People just like seeing a guy who is 6-4 on the wings.
Great.

I am just saying i wasn't so much impressed... I know Mantha is 6-4 already. I want him to play good hockey first. And its going to take more to show me he can play NHL level hockey.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I meant Mantha is big so provides what pulkkinen does not. Was not trying to compare them except for size.

Overall I am not "impressed" yet. Would like to see more.

I guess im just tired of everyone here saying

Tatar is crap
Nyquist is crap
Zetterberg is crap
Larkin was crap today (sometimes)
Pulks is crap
Helm is crap
sheahan is crap
Jurco is crap
Richards is crap (This i agree with LOL)
Oh oh and Mantha was great... what a shining jewel in our sea of crap.

Nah man, he looked just as "crappy" as the rest of them.

I am not saying he wont be good. But this 1 game praise for someone who looked as shaky as he did. If we just put #39 on Tatar's back today, i bet eveyone would be praising the 2 point game, and the next McDavid we have on our hands.

Prospects arn't everything. And I was mildly impressed at best. I want to see more. And I am not giving him credit for simply shooting the puck on net a few times.

yea i agree he hasn't really shown that much yet. but i would much rather have him in the lineup right now over anyone else we have available

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Mantha actually held onto the puck a couple of times the other night where any of our other jittery forwards would've dumped it around the boards.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
yea i agree he hasn't really shown that much yet. but i would much rather have him in the lineup right now over anyone else we have available

Oh don't get me wrong, not a Mantha hater.
Glad he is here. Hope he gets in at least 4-6 games. He might even stay the rest of the season.

I am just saying I will save my praise for when he deserves it.

If he plays as well as we HOPE he can.. He is a HUGE asset for us.
I just am not going to give him the props until he deserves it.

For anyone who didnt watch the game yesterday, Mantha was nothing special.... YET... Lets see how he does over 2 weeks as opposed to 1 game.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Oh don't get me wrong, not a Mantha hater.
Glad he is here. Hope he gets in at least 4-6 games. He might even stay the rest of the season.

I am just saying I will save my praise for when he deserves it.

If he plays as well as we HOPE he can.. He is a HUGE asset for us.
I just am not going to give him the props until he deserves it.

For anyone who didnt watch the game yesterday, Mantha was nothing special.... YET... Lets see how he does over 2 weeks as opposed to 1 game.

He looked great in the second and third periods. His reach, his opportunities, his board work. For someone's first game? Delightfully strong.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Mantha actually held onto the puck a couple of times the other night where any of our other jittery forwards would've dumped it around the boards.

Yeah uhh I thought there were several moments where he did things that almost no one on this roster does. Protected the puck almost effortlessly. Took a dangerous shot in full-stride that didn't just hit the goalie's logo. Kept a puck in at the line and didn't just waste it by sending it back up the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad