Friedman: Anthony Mantha wants to stay a Red Wing

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm sure Wings fans are pleased to hear this. Before seeing the whole title, I thought Friedman may have tweeted that he wanted out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tell me the red wings are going to be contenders in the next five years with a straight face

Swings to up and down happen pretty fast in a cap world. Especially when the millions are less and less locked to negative valued players.

1-2 years and they are at the playoffs and 3-4 years and they are a contender.

It happens with every team, except Buffalo.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Your team is a mess too, yet we have our first rounder this year. Hope you're enjoying Karlsson!

I''ve watched my team win 4 Cups, you?
Great for them, they still arent making the playoffs for another 4-5 so Ill be content watching a team that isnt the worst of the salary cap era

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Great for them, they still arent making the playoffs for another 4-5 so Ill be content watching a team that isnt the worst of the salary cap era

The Sharks are making the playoffs soon?

You guys have just as many terrible contracts on your team, but the difference is that yours are signed for longer. You also don't have your top 5 pick in an extremely deep first round, and have have a prospect pool that is well below average.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's not unique to Detroit.

Why anyone would re-sign in Ottawa is beyond me but both White and Chabot did.

Players do feel a lot of initial loyalty to the team that drafted them, and it seems to take a lot for them to leave.

Whether it's an emotional, familial connection or fear of the unknown or inertia, I'm not sure.

Once they do, however, it seems much easier for them to keep moving on.

Reactions: NotLeddy

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Players do feel a lot of initial loyalty to the team that drafted them, and it seems to take a lot for them to leave.

Whether it's an emotional, familial connection or fear of the unknown or inertia, I'm not sure.

Once they do, however, it seems much easier for them to keep moving on.

It's also not like he's a UFA. He's an RFA. 99% of the time most star RFAs stay with their team for their 2nd deals.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY

Toss in that they've (probably) lived a fairly nomadic lifestyle before now. As a young, very well paid, man starting to put out roots, it isn't all that surprising that one takes a deep breath, looks around, & says "yeah, this isn't so bad..." no matter where they are. Add in that Detroit has historically been a good team with good management/front office (which granted is completely new since they were good before), & I can see him willing to roll the dice & give them a few years to get their act together (in the meantime taking a leadership role which will, if he does well, only increase his value come his next contract).

But yes, once the doubt sets in, it can really eat away at a player's motivation & you should do your best to let them move on (before that attitude spreads around the locker room).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
"I think I've always showed my commitment, my appreciation and my desire to play on Long Island," Tavares told Sportsnet 590. "I would love for that to continue for the long haul. I think you look at some of the greatest players in the game have been able to spend their entire career somewhere. I hope I'm in that same position."
Well, like everything in life, things changed, and they did with Tavares. He signed with the Leafs already. Who knows what Mantha will do? At this time, he sees his future in Detroit.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think all three of Bertuzzi, Mantha, and Larkin have the desire to stay with the Wings. It's good to hear, they have been through a lot in their young careers and I hope they don't wither away on our team.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
If youre going to post something post all of it

Friedman said ‘... just kidding’ at the end

Mantha must not be feeling well

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Interesting have heard grumbles of the opposite in terms of him needing substantial coin to want to stay. I guess we will have to wait and see this summer. Perhaps seeing AA shipped might have jolted the young core a little.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
As important as winning is to these players there are a lot of other factors as well. Mantha probably looks a the prospect pool and the young guys on the roster to see that they can do some damage in a couple years time. Detroit has always seemed like a solid organization to play for

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Why is this take of a player soo surprising? Look at Colorado and how fast the turned around from a brutal season. With league parity the turn around doesn't take a long time. The Red Wings have a young core, but as far as assets, they have a way better future than the current standings suggest. Plus is the Wings and Stevie Y this isn't a franchise without a winning history.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Why are you acting like in the cap era teams aren't built through the draft. The Red Wings are well on their way and will have another top pick this year. Literally the main reason the Red Wings are soo bad is a lack of high picks due to season after season of sustained success which lasted about 20 years.

I guess my point/question is why are you in this thread crapping on an organization who was in the same situation as the Sharks are headed after having been in successful regular seasons thus no high drafts picks for what seems an eternity? Sharks are a season or 2 away from a full on rebuild and probably should be doing it now. I'm assuming a re-tool will be attempted since most GM's rarely put their job on the line with a full out rebuild.

As for the 4-5 years it's more 2-3 as we've seen in the cap era, rebuilds flat out don't take that long unless you're the Sabres or Oilers.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
meh, i strongly believe JT meant what he said at the time and he just changed his mind. He is human afterall.
Entirely possible. Remember Luc Robitaille was not even thinking about the Red Wings or exploring the Free Agent market until he saw the Wings traded for Hasek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad