Anthony Mantha vs Josh Anderson

Mantha vs Anderson

• Total voters

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Mantha has better production and posession numbers every year except this one. By the eye test he's a more offensive skilled player with more upside IMO.

Maybe Anderson is better at impacting the game defensively and consistently putting in effort, but personally that doesn't outweigh the superior offensive player. I also think we're about to see Mantha go off in Washington, finally getting to play on a competitive team.

Reactions: malcb33

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Mantha's effort level matched his skill level he'd be a star. The guy is too up and down, probably gets the vote in the regular season but may lean Anderson if we are talking playoffs

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Mantha is on his game, obviously you go with him.

But this poll is comparing one of the laziest players in the league to one of the hardest workers. Mantha is a part-timer and I think that kind of stuff brings teams down. I'd rather have Josh Anderson on my team. If he isn't scoring he still plays a respectable game and obviously brings a big intimidation factor. It would be interesting to revisit this in the playoffs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Tough call. Mantha is probably slightly more talented, but Anderson is a rare player. I'd probably take Mantha over Anderson on my Sharks, but I think for the Habs they're better with Anderson.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

But this poll is comparing one of the laziest players in the league to one of the hardest workers. Mantha is a part-timer and I think that kind of stuff brings teams down. I'd rather have Josh Anderson on my team. If he isn't scoring he still plays a respectable game and obviously brings a big intimidation factor. It would be interesting to revisit this in the playoffs.
I've always liked Josh Anderson's game, especially come playoff time, but Mantha is certainly the more talented player. While it's true Mantha has a lot of lacklustre games, but he's also been playing for a franchise that isn't actually trying to win, that would wear down anyone.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've always liked Josh Anderson's game, especially come playoff time, but Mantha is certainly the more talented player. While it's true Mantha has a lot of lacklustre games, but he's also been playing for a franchise that isn't actually trying to win, that would wear down anyone.

His manner didn't start in Detroit. This was a topic in his draft year.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

One of the lsziest players in the league? I'm betting you've watched mantha play less than a handful of times.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I think that Mantha is overall better, but Josh Anderson's offensive zone entries are unstoppable. The dude's skate like the wind and is a freigh train. He bring things to the table that the Habs didn't have until now.

Reactions: Walrus26

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is a hard question to answer in a vacuum.

Mantha is the better pure "Top-6 Scorer" option on skill. But he's one of those players where if i'm shopping for him as cornerstone Top-6 play driver, my team is probably not very good, and i have some serious holes. I want him as my "complementary scorer" option to fill things out.

Whereas Anderson is much more the "Complementary Middle-6 Scorer" profile, where i think you have to expect him to be about as good as the more skilled and creative linemates feeding him and generally doesn't have quite the same raw skill level as Mantha. But he brings so much else to the table, it's hard to even compare the two straight across, because they fill a totally different role.

But that's where the conundrum applies for me. They're both fundamentally "complementary goal-scoring wingers". On completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Neither is really going to carry or drive a line. So in that respect...i'd rather have the situation where Josh Anderson is the player i'd prefer - needing to add size and power to my Top-6 scoring line. As opposed to the scenario where i'd prefer Mantha - trying to eek out an extra ounce of skill to my Top-6 scoring line, even though he's really not a line-driving player anyway.

So...I want Mantha on my team. But even more than that...i want my team to be in the situation where i want Anderson instead.

Essentially...for me valuing the two, whether i'd rather add a Mantha or an Anderson, is probably more truly a reflection of how my team is constructed, than a reflection on either in a vacuum.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anderson. How many players have his size, speed, touch around he net, and physicality?

He's a rare player.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Hard to judge, really hard.

Mantha IMO is more talented, he HAD the potential to hit a a first line player on a contender and do 30+ g for multiple seasons.
Anderson is not as talented but had other tool Mantha doesn'T have and that's his Speed + physicality together in a 230lbs frame (like Mantha). I also think Anderson has the potential to drive a line better than Mantha due to his speed and he LOVES to enter zones on the right side by pushing the puck a little and out-speeding the opposite RD, if he cannot out-speed him he out muscle him so it's a RARE mix having speed/raw strength & size

1. So, Mantha Potential can be off the chart if he finally wakes up which will eclipse Anderson, but I have my doubt.
2. Anderson has a better speed, physicality and poise while also having an amazing touch to score in front of the net while also working harder and doing better zone entry. He needs to stay healthy also, hit kit for his body is difficult to maintain long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad