Prospect Info: Anthony Florentino (2013, 143rd) – '18-19 Cincinnati #3 (ECHL) AHL SPC

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
From NEHJ: Erne, Sanford lead New England crop:
The Buffalo Sabres continued their quest to get bigger and tougher with the selection of Selects Academy captain and big hitter Anthony Florentino (West Roxbury, Mass.), who is the area’s biggest hitter.
The skinny: Big-hitting rearguard is one nasty opponent who brings the most intimidating physical package of the bunch. A good straight-line skater who could stand to improve his lateral quickness, Florentino nonetheless is an impressive all-around defender who showed flashes of puck-moving skill and finish while punishing opponents in the open ice and in front of his own net.

The Providence College recruit was all over the map in terms of where teams saw him coming into the draft, but this is good value for a longer-term prospect who might need to process the game a little faster before he’s ready for the big time. The Buffalo Sabres added a lot of snarl in this draft class, and Florentino is right near the top of that added toughness, even if he is a few years away from being ready to compete for an NHL job.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Interesting. If he keeps developing and our RHD-spots are as stacked as now (Bogosian, Ristolainen and Pysyk), wouldn't be too surprised him going to free agency.

I would. Drafted college players who go on and end up free agents are few and far between. Besides, Pysyk is currently a bit of a question mark and there's pretty much no organizational depth at defense.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we get to the point where our defense is so stacked that Florentino goes UFA, well then I don't think we'll be too worried about him going UFA.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I would. Drafted college players who go on and end up free agents are few and far between. Besides, Pysyk is currently a bit of a question mark and there's pretty much no organizational depth at defense.

The assumption was that Pysyk isn't a question mark after two years.

I think we're seeing more and more college guys seeking better fit for their future. Mike Reilly is most likely doing that and Boston's Zane McIntyre has been speculated to be another. And of course a minority of college guys do that, because usually those players gets their contracts before their fourth season. And what about players who 1) play full 4 years and 2) the team who drafted them is stacked on that position the specific player plays? I think the coincides increase quite well.

Of course it requires that Florentino establishes himself clearly.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The assumption was that Pysyk isn't a question mark after two years.

I think we're seeing more and more college guys seeking better fit for their future. Mike Reilly is most likely doing that and Boston's Zane McIntyre has been speculated to be another. And of course a minority of college guys do that, because usually those players gets their contracts before their fourth season. And what about players who 1) play full 4 years and 2) the team who drafted them is stacked on that position the specific player plays? I think the coincides increase quite well.

Of course it requires that Florentino establishes himself clearly.

I think the comment was about Pysyk's health.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Some summer blurbs on Florentino from the Providence Journal:
Another draft pick who played well in Sabres’ camp was Providence College junior defenseman Anthony Florentino.

“Flo had a strong camp. Where he came from when he entered college and each step of the way, there’s been steady improvement. He made the all-tournament team in the (Frozen Four). How many kids get to say that? He’s progressing fine,’’ said O’Brien.

“He wants it. He’s a hockey player. Sometimes it’s a sprint. Sometimes it’s a marathon, depending on the person. With Flo, it’s more of a long-distance race. Every day when he gets on the ice, he’s really thinking about getting better. He works hard. He moves well. There are things that he needs to work on and he knows what they are.’’

Like Willman, the 20-year-old Florentino is training with Ocean State Hockey. The native of West Roxbury, Mass., was a fifth-round pick in 2013.
He and Willman both train with Sabres amateur scout Toby O'Brien.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Florentino finished regular season play with: 27 GP, 5 G, 7 A, 37 PIM, 42 SOG, +15. PC is the second-seed in the HEA tournament and has a shot at a one-seed for the NCAA tournament (battling BC for that) pending conference tourney results. With a bye, they'll play the winner of next weekend's UNH-Merrimack best-of-three.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I wonder if they consider giving Florentino a contract this offseason, given the general darth of AHL level D prospects in our system. Smart money is probably on having him graduate, but I could see them signing him this year.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
At the very least he will be better than Brady Austin at the AHL level. If he doesn't carve out an NHL career he will be a coveted AHL leader Drew Bagnall type.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
For the fourth consecutive year, NBC Sports will present LIVE coverage of the Hockey East Men’s Championships from TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.
Coverage of both semifinal games and the championship game will be televised on NBCSN and will also be streamed on NBC Sports LIVE Extra via NBCSports.com.
Coverage of the Hockey East Men’s Championship begins Friday, March 18 at 5:00 pm ET with Semifinal Game #1 - #2 - Providence Friars
(LaxSabre - and Sabres prospect - Anthony Florentino) vs #4 - UMass Lowell Riverhawks.
Semifinal Game #2 will follow and feature #1 - Boston College Eagles vs #6 - Northeastern Huskies.
Winners of the two Semifinal Games will then move on to the 32nd Annual Hockey East Championship Game which will be played on Saturday, March 18 - 7:00 pm ET.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At the very least he will be better than Brady Austin at the AHL level. If he doesn't carve out an NHL career he will be a coveted AHL leader Drew Bagnall type.

Sidebar -- anyone else surprised to see Austin as their #10 prospect in THN's Prospect Issue? Especially when he isn't even signed to an NHL deal?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Apologies, I got him mixed up with Mackenzie and Lepkowski, both of whom they had signed to AHL level deals at different points. :biglaugh:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Providence and Anthony Florentino drop a heart-breaking 2-1 3-OT decision to UMass-Lowell last night in the Hockey East Tournament Semifinals.
The winning goal was scored with 7:33 left in the third overtime.
Florentino was a -1 and had a team-high/tied for game-high six blocked shots. He was not on the ice when the winning goal was scored.
Providence (27-7-4) now waits to see if they get an at large bid early Sunday afternoon. (NCAA Hockey Selection Show - ESPNU/WatchESPN - 12:00 pm ET.)
UMass-Lowell will now play in the Hockey East Tournament Championship Game tonight vs Northeastern.
Northeastern defeated Boston College 5-4 last night in the other Hockey East Tournament Semifinal.
You can watch that game LIVE on NBCSN and online at NBCSports.com via LIVE Sports Extra feed. Coverage starts at 7:00 pm ET. Go Providence!

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he's ready. Not sure if the brass thinks he's ready, but that's why they get paid the big bucks to make decisions and I get paid... wait. I'm doing this for free? Sonuva...

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
UMass-Lowell will now play in the Hockey East Tournament Championship Game tonight vs Northeastern.
Northeastern defeated Boston College 5-4 last night in the other Hockey East Tournament Semifinal.
You can watch that game LIVE on NBCSN and online at NBCSports.com via LIVE Sports Extra feed. Coverage starts at 7:00 pm ET. Go Providence!

TV Update - If you are in Canada and want to watch the game LIVE or record it to watch later - its scheduled to be shown on TSN2. You can also watch it LIVE online via TSNGO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad