Prospect Info: Anthony Florentino (2013, 143rd) – '18-19 Cincinnati #3 (ECHL) AHL SPC

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
TV Alert - Anthony Florentino and Providence Friars vs Maine.
Friday, February 3 - 6:00 pm ET - American Sports Network.

Update - ‏@SabresProspects - No Florentino again for Providence.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
How's he look this year? I've always liked his potential as a keep it simple, Mike Weber-esque, 3rd pairing D. He going to get a contract?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
How's he look this year? I've always liked his potential as a keep it simple, Mike Weber-esque, 3rd pairing D. He going to get a contract?

He's become the opposite. He's been very aggressive on offense, and not very consistent in his own end. He's been a healthy scratch a few times this season. If he gets a contract, it's only because we need organizational depth. I'd give it a 30% chance.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He's become the opposite. He's been very aggressive on offense, and not very consistent in his own end. He's been a healthy scratch a few times this season. If he gets a contract, it's only because we need organizational depth. I'd give it a 30% chance.

Yikes, that doesn't match up with my recollection of him at all. :laugh:

I wonder if he's been pushing too hard, taking unnecessary chances in an attempt to overcome a likely no-contract graduation.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yikes, that doesn't match up with my recollection of him at all. :laugh:

I wonder if he's been pushing too hard, taking unnecessary chances in an attempt to overcome a likely no-contract graduation.

Seems plausible. He doesn't have the feet to jump up so much, so his mistakes are hard to cover.

Wheels on D is key. Our #1 organizational weakness imo.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I had high hopes for him when he was drafted. The biggest question mark for scouts was his skating. He seems to have been in and out of the lineup, not developing as hoped. But that last game--whew! Congrats are deserved.....

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
College Hockey LIVE - #8 Providence Friars (and Anthony Florentino) vs #15 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (and Cal Petersen) - Friday and Saturday - NBCSN.

NBCSN’s college hockey coverage continues this Friday at 7:30 pm ET and Saturday at 7:00 pm ET on NBCSN when Notre Dame hosts Providence in a two-game Hockey East clash.
Notre Dame (17-9-4 overall, 10-5-3 Hockey East) has won three straight games, including a pair of matchups against Maine last weekend.
Providence (18-8-4 overall, 10-6-2 Hockey East) is one of the hottest teams in college hockey, riding a nine-game winning streak, all in conference play.

Steve Schlanger (Play-By-Play) and Anson Carter (Analyst) call Friday’s game while Nick Grismondi (Play-By-Play) and Anson Carter (Analyst) call Saturday's game.
Both games - from the Compton Family Ice Arena in South Bend, Indiana - can also been seen via the LIVE Extra feed on NBC Sports . com

Update - both games will also be available to view in Canada. Friday's game will be on TSN2 and Saturday's game will be on TSNGO.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - Unfortunately for Florentino and the Friars, the goal turned out to be their only goal of the game. Notre Dame wins 4-1 - Cal Petersen with 33 saves for the Irish.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - Anthony Florentino college career not only ended with a 3-0 loss by Providence to Harvard but it ended with him in the penalty box.
(He received a slashing call with 8 seconds remaining. Almost mixed it up with fellow Sabres prospect Sean Malone 6 seconds earlier.)
I wonder if Florentino will get a ATO and be sent to the Amerks.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
According to Baker on that Half Hour Hockey Show podcast, as far as he knows Florentino hasn't been signed to anything, and his season ended last week. It looks like he's not in their plans going forward. I could at least see him being a guy you stick in Rochester. Maybe not having a definite ECHL team next year leaves less spots?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The Rochester Americans announced today that team has agreed to terms with defenseman Anthony Florentino on a one-year American Hockey League contract for the 2017-2018 season. Florentino will join the Amerks on an Amateur Tryout for the remainder of the current season.

Florentino, 22, begins his professional career following four seasons at Providence College (H-East), where he recorded 54 points (22+32) in 131 career games with the Friars. During his senior season, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound defenseman finished with a career-high 16 points and led all blueliners with nine goals in 30 games.

As a sophomore, Florentino helped the Friars capture their first NCAA Championship in program history during the 2014-2015 campaign. Following the tournament, the West Roxbury, Massachusetts, native was named to the NCAA Frozen Four All-Tournament Team. He was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in the fifth-round (143rd overall) in 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS AGREE TO TERMS WITH FLORENTINO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad