Player Discussion Anthony Duclair

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm not sure what they will do with Duclair, he's been playing well enough to warrant a new contract but is he in their long term plans? That ... I'm not so sure about given the prospects that are coming & whether he takes a spot that they may want for a prospect like Davidsson as an example. If Duclair is re-signed I don't expect it to be more than two yrs or look to trade him for a good return.

??? - L. Brown - Batherson - LW likely filled next draft
Tkachuck - White - ??? - RW likely filled by C. Brown
Formenton - Norris - ??? - RW filled by Pinto/Davidsson
Paul - Kastelic - ??? - RW filled next draft

There’s no real reason to believe that Batherson will be a better offensive player than Duclair, and they should certainly not even think about moving him to make room for a player like Davidsson.

Ottawa seems to have struck some gold here. At some point, you have to keep good player and stop waiting on prospects.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He is exactly what we would want from a 2020 3-10 OA type pick. His point numbers are a bit low but he doesn’t have any line mates to reliably pick up many assists.

Of all the pieces that were moved last year (Stone, EK, MD, SJ 2020, Norris etc etc) he may be the single most valuable piece and he was a “throw in”.... we gave less than a bag of pucks.

Reactions: Cosmix

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
God love Duclair for the breakout season he has had overall, but he has been invisible lately. Zero goals and two points in his last five games, with zero points and zero shots on goal in his last two. Players will go through dry spells - heck, Mark Stone had one earlier this year - but Duke needs to pick it up...

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
God love Duclair for the breakout season he has had overall, but he has been invisible lately. Zero goals and two points in his last five games, with zero points and zero shots on goal in his last two. Players will go through dry spells - heck, Mark Stone had one earlier this year - but Duke needs to pick it up...
He came back from injury. I don’t think his 100% healthy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anybody seen these yet?

Absolutely beautiful. How else to describe them. Love what they did with those lines. :)

A line for each year of unparalleled success. And cheeky fellas put them in parallel. So clever.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkwild

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Senators should wait out Anthony Duclair offers as trade deadline nears - Sportsnet.ca

A month ago, he was the NHL’s hottest scorer – with 11 goals in the nine games the Senators played between Dec. 4 and Dec. 21. He had 21 goals through his first 37 games and was once on pace to score 46 this season.

With one game left in January (Friday versus Washington), Duclair is still looking for his first goal of the New Year and now projects to scoring 35 goals, not 40-plus.

There is a case to be made that the Senators could trade Duclair while his value is high, rather then buying high on a long-term contract for a player who hasn’t yet proven he can be a consistent NHL performer.

There is a third option, which might be the most prudent.

Status quo. Let things ride.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Senators should wait out Anthony Duclair offers as trade deadline nears - Sportsnet.ca

A month ago, he was the NHL’s hottest scorer – with 11 goals in the nine games the Senators played between Dec. 4 and Dec. 21. He had 21 goals through his first 37 games and was once on pace to score 46 this season.

With one game left in January (Friday versus Washington), Duclair is still looking for his first goal of the New Year and now projects to scoring 35 goals, not 40-plus.

There is a case to be made that the Senators could trade Duclair while his value is high, rather then buying high on a long-term contract for a player who hasn’t yet proven he can be a consistent NHL performer.

For the most part I would never say a player is in untouchable. That being said I would not trade Duclair for a mid-late first round pic.

His skating has returned to form and he had 9 shots vs the devils. I am optimistic we see some production soon.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He’s one of those guys that no one is going to break bank for. He’s not demanding a ton of money because where’s he gonna get it? For me there is no true “sell high” on duclair. Like maybe we get a second? Maybe?

Reactions: NB613

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Because of his inconsistency this year no question in my mind he will be bridged on a short two year deal probably around 3.5 per year.

No chance would I invest long term at the moment

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Because of his inconsistency this year no question in my mind he will be bridged on a short two year deal probably around 3.5 per year.

No chance would I invest long term at the moment

Unless you're a superstar, you're going to be inconsistent. That's pretty much what a 20-35 goal scorer is.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Unless you're a superstar, you're going to be inconsistent. That's pretty much what a 20-35 goal scorer is.

A 30 goal score getting one every 3 games is consistent.

Duclair went like 7 games in a row with a goal and now hes gone like 9 without.

That's the difference. Still a 30 goal scorer but Duclair is very inconsistent

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, but that's how goal scoring typically works.

You don't have consistent 20-35 goal scorers. They heat up, and then they cool off.

Fisher would go weeks without a goal, and then score 6 in 5 games.

Pageau scored 6 in 8 games, and then 3 in 12.

In my mind, what differentiates the elite goal scoring cadre is that they score regardless of how well they are playing.

That is the big gap between the top tier and the rest.

Heatley was a consistent goal scorer, and that's how he ended up with 50.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would like to see Duclair play with a first or second line center, not the third line centers that are on this team at this time.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I wonder if that changes his value at all. Would consistency be measurable in WAR (Wins Above Replacement) ? I am thinking no … ?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but that's how goal scoring typically works.

You don't have consistent 20-35 goal scorers. They heat up, and then they cool off.

Fisher would go weeks without a goal, and then score 6 in 5 games.

Pageau scored 6 in 8 games, and then 3 in 12.

In my mind, what differentiates the elite goal scoring cadre is that they score regardless of how well they are playing.

That is the big gap between the top tier and the rest.

Heatley was a consistent goal scorer, and that's how he ended up with 50.
While his production is inconsitent I dont think his effort level or creativity has been. The only stretch he hasnt been a threat this season has been when he was injured.

I wonder what his production could look like with better linemates that play his attacking style.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While his production is inconsitent I dont think his effort level or creativity has been. The only stretch he hasnt been a threat this season has been when he was injured.

They were talking about his slump before the Buffalo game and they mentioned that his shot totals were way down - like 1 shot a game or so during that stretch of play.

He ended up putting up NINE shots in the Buffalo game, which is a good sign.

That's the best way to break a slump - just keep putting the puck on net. He got robbed a few times but he looked very dangerous.

I wonder what his production could look like with better linemates that play his attacking style.

I think it would certainly help, but I don't think it necessarily precludes a player from slumping.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They were talking about his slump before the Buffalo game and they mentioned that his shot totals were way down - like 1 shot a game or so during that stretch of play.

He ended up putting up NINE shots in the Buffalo game, which is a good sign.

That's the best way to break a slump - just keep putting the puck on net. He got robbed a few times but he looked very dangerous.

I think it would certainly help, but I don't think it necessarily precludes a player from slumping.

Yeah in which he was injured for those games after blocking the shot with his ankle. When it happened I was sure he would be out I was watching with a friend and said out loud 'I bet he broke his ankle' it was a rocket shot right off the skate. I was suprised to see him play right after but I think that him playing hurt is another positive in the player. He has done just about everything in his power to impress this season in my estimation.

If the sens win the lottery a speed and quickness line of Lafrniere Norris Duclair could be quite the handfull and play into his strengths in my opinion. I could certainly see him scoring 40 with those two.

A top 6 in a couple years of the group below could look pretty impressive. Very different styles but effective in their own ways.

Lafreniere Norris Duclair
Tkachuk Brown Batherson

Reactions: Cosmix and Crosside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad