Player Discussion Anthony Duclair

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
RE putting a rookie in as center right away-
especially someone as skilled and "NHL ready" as byfield, I think it's always worth a shot. Most canucks fans expected petey to start as a winger, and a lot didn't see him ever becoming a center. Coach trusted him, let him work out rough patches instead of switching him back to wing immediately, and now he's our #1 center and IMO one of the best in the league. Different circumstances maybe but it's not like QB would be going from winger to center all of the sudden, and I don't think the sens will be so desperate to make the playoffs next year that they won't feel there's any time for experimentation.

That being said I hope we end up being the team to draft Byfield, he's easily my favourite prospect right now ;)

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If Duclair puts up top 6 numbers (20+ goals/50+ points), do you flip him at the deadline as a rental for a 2nd round pick (maybe with a small plus), or do you re-sign him to a 4 year contract at 4.5 million?

He technically has 1 RFA year left, but he could still be viewed as a rental at the deadline since the team acquiring him would have the option of making him a rental via not qualifying him. A team tight to the cap may want him as a rental because he'll have arbitration rights if qualified, a team with more cap room might want him as a longer term piece.
I'd rather extend him now, to be honest. I feel his stock will rise during the season to the point he'll become too expensive. Right now he'd probably sign for less than what you're proposing.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'd rather extend him now, to be honest. I feel his stock will rise during the season to the point he'll become too expensive. Right now he'd probably sign for less than what you're proposing.
Can't extend 1-year deal until Jan 1st, no?

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Not super on topic but if you follow Duclair on instagram, he just put out a story of him opening up his locker to a poster of Chabot taking a slapper. Had to tell someone because this has been cracking me up for the past 15 minutes or so.

More on topic: I think their is a good atmosphere in the locker room right now. All the young guys really seem to enjoy each other and that's great news with Chabot and White signing long term deals. I'd be very open to signing Duclair if he puts up a ~20 goals season.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If Duclair puts up top 6 numbers (20+ goals/50+ points), do you flip him at the deadline as a rental for a 2nd round pick (maybe with a small plus), or do you re-sign him to a 4 year contract at 4.5 million?

He technically has 1 RFA year left, but he could still be viewed as a rental at the deadline since the team acquiring him would have the option of making him a rental via not qualifying him. A team tight to the cap may want him as a rental because he'll have arbitration rights if qualified, a team with more cap room might want him as a longer term piece.

You sign him. We're not exactly flowing with top 6 talent. If anything were one of the worst teams for forward talent. Think about dropping top 6 RFAs for a draft pick when were top 10 in GF and making the playoffs regularly...

Reactions: DrEasy

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
RE putting a rookie in as center right away-
especially someone as skilled and "NHL ready" as byfield, I think it's always worth a shot. Most canucks fans expected petey to start as a winger, and a lot didn't see him ever becoming a center. Coach trusted him, let him work out rough patches instead of switching him back to wing immediately, and now he's our #1 center and IMO one of the best in the league. Different circumstances maybe but it's not like QB would be going from winger to center all of the sudden, and I don't think the sens will be so desperate to make the playoffs next year that they won't feel there's any time for experimentation.

That being said I hope we end up being the team to draft Byfield, he's easily my favourite prospect right now ;)
But you traded away your first round pick:popcorn:(im kidding, i know the pick can be deferred to next year, but trust me as a Sens fan who went through it, you dont want to do that).
Thanks for stopping by. I hope the Canucks take a step forward this year. They have become my second favourite team since they got Pettersson. Absolutely love watching that kid play hockey.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

We have had a lot of 2nd round picks and not many have produced top 6 forwards, so a 2nd round pick wouldn’t be enough to make me trade him UNLESS he doesn’t fit into the game plan, ie. scores but still lacks defensive commitment.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Can't extend 1-year deal until Jan 1st, no?

January 1st.

They can talk before then, but there's no point. If they wanted term without seeing how he fits this season, they wouldn't have gone 1 year. If both sides want an extension, talking in January makes sense (not just because it's when they can officially sign). It's a long enough audition with a new coach and a (still) new organization to know where everybody stands. It also gives the Senators a buffer before the deadline to start exploring the market on Duclair if both sides either cannot agree to a long term deal, or one or both sides aren't interested in a long term deal.

I'm just curious about where people stand on Duclair because of his career trajectory. He's always been ultra skilled, but has bounced around teams for various other reasons. He's a guy who some posters have talked about upping his value and dumping for another asset.

I think we're in a good position to take a risk on signing him 3-4 years if we're spending to the cap. It's a similar situation to Dzingel last year, where I don't think we're going to have to pay true top 6 UFA money or term to lock them down. The team just has to feel confident enough that he's turned the page.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm glad they signed Duclair. I hope he does well and shows some 200' game improvement they are looking for and they extend him. He may be the most dynamic forward we have. Who do you want Duclair or Connor Brown? Who do we need more Duclair or Connor Brown?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm glad they signed Duclair. I hope he does well and shows some 200' game improvement they are looking for and they extend him. He may be the most dynamic forward we have. Who do you want Duclair or Connor Brown? Who do we need more Duclair or Connor Brown?
Well, C. Brown plays RW & could surprise a lot of people playing with Tkachuk & White. He is much better defensively than Duclair & actually plays a 200' game & had 128 pts one yr with the Erie Otters so we know he can put up pts too.

It may not happen next yr, but I expect that Tkachuk & Formenton should have two of the four LW spots locked up for the 2020 season & Batherson, C. Brown & Ryan should have three of the RW spots taken. I assume that if Ottawa drafts one of Lafreniere or Byfield that both should start the yr in the NHL following the draft at most likely LW. I say that because, I think L. Brown, White & Norris should all be centres for this team by the 2020 season, of course lots can happen by then & lots can change quickly in this league & with this team.

I doubt they play Duclair on the 4th line given his offensive skills so that leaves the 3rd line to make his mark on LW & I would place Byfield, Tkachuk & Formenton ahead of him even today. I don't expect a lot from this team this yr, but it will be interesting to see if Duclair can earn another contract or drifts off into never never land again. IMO he has to have a 20 goal yr to earn another contract in Ottawa & given his offensive skills he could easily do that or at least make himself more valuable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, C. Brown plays RW & could surprise a lot of people playing with Tkachuk & White. He is much better defensively than Duclair & actually plays a 200' game & had 128 pts one yr with the Erie Otters so we know he can put up pts too.

It may not happen next yr, but I expect that Tkachuk & Formenton should have two of the four LW spots locked up for the 2020 season & Batherson, C. Brown & Ryan should have three of the RW spots taken. I assume that if Ottawa drafts one of Lafreniere or Byfield that both should start the yr in the NHL following the draft at most likely LW. I say that because, I think L. Brown, White & Norris should all be centres for this team by the 2020 season, of course lots can happen by then & lots can change quickly in this league & with this team.

I doubt they play Duclair on the 4th line given his offensive skills so that leaves the 3rd line to make his mark on LW & I would place Byfield, Tkachuk & Formenton ahead of him even today. I don't expect a lot from this team this yr, but it will be interesting to see if Duclair can earn another contract or drifts off into never never land again. IMO he has to have a 20 goal yr to earn another contract in Ottawa & given his offensive skills he could easily do that or at least make himself more valuable.
Duclair's talent is undeniable, a similar skill set to Formenton with more skill and less grit. Duclair only seems to be getting it together now, just shows how long it takes players to mature and develop. If Duclair plays a consistent game this season and continues to work hard he could be a heck of an asset. I personally didnt love Brown playing with Tkachuk and White, he doesnt have the hockey IQ from what I have seen. I think he would work very well with Pageau in a shut down role.

There will be injuries this year so I think you will see alot of mix matching of lines and players. Id like to see both Batherson and Duclair get a shot playing with White and Tkachuk.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

We have to hope Brown can become a 20 goal scorer again. He is going to get every opportunity and every benefit of the doubt. His leash will be way longer than Duclair's. I think Duclair is one of the most exciting offensive players we have. Will some prospects pass him ... They better .. If Duclair remains as good as it gets then the rebuild isn't going to work. Right now this team can really use the offense Duclair can bring and the pressure on him is to improve his 200 foot game.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If Duclair, in his current form, ends up being our 3rd line LW in 2 years I would say we are in pretty good territory with the rebuild.

I hope he keeps pushing and forces himself in to the #2 slot.

I dont consider Formenton ahead of him in any regard at this point.

Reactions: NB613

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If Duclair, in his current form, ends up being our 3rd line LW in 2 years I would say we are in pretty good territory with the rebuild.

That's how I feel about him. If we can stick him on the 3rd line with two smart two-way players, he can generate offense all by himself. Similar to the way we played Hoffman on the 3rd line in the past.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not super on topic but if you follow Duclair on instagram, he just put out a story of him opening up his locker to a poster of Chabot taking a slapper. Had to tell someone because this has been cracking me up for the past 15 minutes or so.

More on topic: I think their is a good atmosphere in the locker room right now. All the young guys really seem to enjoy each other and that's great news with Chabot and White signing long term deals. I'd be very open to signing Duclair if he puts up a ~20 goals season.
that's the way its spun now that weve won two preseason games.. once we start losing it will be spun as "all young guys too comfortabkle with each other no accountability

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's how I feel about him. If we can stick him on the 3rd line with two smart two-way players, he can generate offense all by himself. Similar to the way we played Hoffman on the 3rd line in the past.
if duclair reached hoffmans level I hope we don't waste him the way we wasted hoff

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
if duclair reached hoffmans level I hope we don't waste him the way we wasted hoff

I'm not saying we should do that if he reaches Hoff's level. I'm just saying that stylistically, both players are relatively one-dimensional players who can generate offense all by themselves.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think he likes having francophones on the team, like Chabot, and he is close to home. I would prefer him play with White

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
NHL top 6 talent for sure,but will he keep it up ....I hope for our sake he does ,because he may be found gold

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Edmonton should be throwing JP, whatever we want plus the 2020 1OA at us for Duclair and CT or Demelo.

Hook Duclair up with McDavid... he will explode for a contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad