Value of: Anthony Duclair?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets cross that bridge once/if the Habs do in fact sign Duclair and once/if Duclair plays good enough to bump someone else down, or force someone out of town. ;)

The good thing is he can play both wings. However, do you bump one of Gallagher, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Domi, Armia, Byron, Hudon, out of the top 9? Add Duclair and that's 8 wingers. Then add Shaw as well. That makes 9 wingers. What 3 wingers gets bumped to 4th line?

Pretty sure Duclair is looking for opportunity. He knows how many wingers we already have. Especially if Drouin is moved to wing as well.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The good thing is he can play both wings. However, do you bump one of Gallagher, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Domi, Armia, Byron, Hudon, out of the top 9? Add Duclair and that's 8 wingers. Then add Shaw as well. That makes 9 wingers. What 3 wingers gets bumped to 4th line?

Byron-shaw-armia is a sick 4th line. Too bad our first line is crap.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Byron-shaw-armia is a sick 4th line. Too bad our first line is crap.

If Duclair is willing to sign a reasonable contract, I'd consider trying to fit him in. Don't really care cause I want more tank seasons.

Domi / Drouin / Duclair
Hudon / Pleky / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Danault / Scherbak
Byron / Shaw / Armia

DLR, Peca

Better than last year? No idea but they are certainly younger

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

Pretty sure Duclair is looking for opportunity. He knows how many wingers we already have. Especially if Drouin is moved to wing as well.

Assuming Pacioretty gets traded before the season begins, I think it's fair to assume that Gallagher, Domi and Lehkonen are a lock to be in the top-6. So that leaves a spot open in the top-6 + two in the top-9.

Byron, I think, will be traded at some point. Maybe sooner than expected if Bergevin brings in another winger. Which is one of the reason why I wouldn't be against him doing so. I have no problem with him bringing-in a surplus of wingers, just as long as he can then use that surplus to acquire other assets after, in the form of prospects (center or defense) or picks.

So should the Habs actually sign Duclair and trade Byron, my guess is he would be battling for that last top-6 spot with Scherbak. I think both Armia and Hudon are better suited for 3rd line duties, most probably with Plekanec at center...so whoever loses the battle gets demoted to the 4th line to play with De La Rose I guess. As for Shaw...I don't care at all where he plays. He can play in Laval for all I care.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's fair to assume that Gallagher, Domi and Lehkonen are a lock to be in the top-6. So that leaves a spot open in the top-6 + two in the top-9.

Byron, I think, will be traded at some point. Maybe sooner than expected if Bergevin brings in another winger. Which is one of the reason why I wouldn't be against him doing so. I have no problem with him bringing-in a surplus of wingers, just as long as he can then use that surplus to acquire other assets after, in the form of prospects (center or defense) or picks.

So should the Habs actually sign Duclair and trade Byron, my guess is he would be battling for that last top-6 spot with Scherbak. I think both Armia and Hudon are better suited for 3rd line duties, most probably with Plekanec at center...so whoever loses the battle gets demoted to the 4th line to play with De La Rose I guess. As for Shaw...I don't care at all where he plays. He can play in Laval for all I care.

I'm OK with giving a chance on Duclair. Problem is what is he asking for? And what would you give him? I think i would give him a 1 year deal (2 tops). Something around $1M on a one way contract. However, I suspect a lot of teams would be willing to do the same. He would have to pick Montreal

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

The hesitation is probably "playing for a team with less wingers" vs "playing in his hometown with his friends Domi/Drouin".

They probably try him with Domi and Drouin if he sign, but I don't have high expectations for this line.

Habs management always love a good internal competition, so players are fired up and always give their 100%. Tbh, when you don't have a high quality 1st/2nd line, it's a good way to be competitive.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
If Duclair is willing to sign a reasonable contract, I'd consider trying to fit him in. Don't really care cause I want more tank seasons.

Domi / Drouin / Duclair
Byron / Shaw / Armia

DLR, Peca

I don't think Plekanec will get top 6 duty (Bergevin kept saying he's not the same player as before). But if you switch him with Danault, it's probably the line-up we'll have, ans if Duclair isn't here, all the RW move up one spot, Shaw on the 4th with DLR or Peca as the C.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I'm OK with giving a chance on Duclair. Problem is what is he asking for? And what would you give him? I think i would give him a 1 year deal (2 tops). Something around $1M on a one way contract. However, I suspect a lot of teams would be willing to do the same. He would have to pick Montreal

Personally, I'd be okay with 2-years at $2.0m per. I don't really see how that caphit could ever become an issue for the team in the next two years. But I don't think Bergevin is willing to go that high. He never seemed that interested in Duclair. If he signs in Montreal, I can't him offering more than 1-year at $1.5m...and even that would be a stretch.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Plekanec will get top 6 duty (Bergevin kept saying he's not the same player as before). But if you switch him with Danault, it's probably the line-up we'll have, ans if Duclair isn't here, all the RW move up one spot, Shaw on the 4th with DLR or Peca as the C.

There is no top 6. There is 3 #3 lines. Put them in any order you wish.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally, I'd be okay with 2-years at $2.0m per. I don't really see how that caphit could ever become an issue for the team in the next two years. But I don't think Bergevin is willing to go that high. He never seemed that interested in Duclair. If he signs in Montreal, I can't him offering more than 1-year at $1.5m...and even that would be a stretch.

There is no need to overpay. Duclair does not have many options. Habs are one of the very few teams that can give him top 6 ice time.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
There is no need to overpay. Duclair does not have many options. Habs are one of the very few teams that can give him top 6 ice time.

True. But if you're Duclair and you put yourself in that line-up...you're probably playing with Danault/Peca and Lehkonen/Hudon. Not sure that's something to get really excited about, especially if you feel this is your last shot.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
as long as kenny doesnt sign this fringe nhler who care where he goes. hes a 13 forward on a decent team a ahler on a good one.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Echoing what others have said, Edmonton might be a decent fit. 1 year $1million, and the opportunity to play with one of 3 good centers (McD, Drai or RNH). Competition isn't exactly stiff on the wing, if he can get his **** together he could earn himself a more lucrative deal.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

If I was Duclair, I would think I can beat out Lehkonen, Scherbak, Armia, Byron and Hudon.

Reactions: vokiel

Jul 6, 2016

Domi / Drouin / Duclair
Byron / Shaw / Armia

DLR, Peca

Where is Patches ? Traded ? For whom ? A forward or a d-man ? A kid still in the Minors-Juniors ?

As for Plekky, no way he's gonna play top-two lines. I am not even sure he's gonna play every games.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Do the oilers really need another jp a young guy who has struggled the past 2 years is somehow going to be the answer to our winger dilemma?

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Duclair is too talented to not find a place. He'll sign a 1 year deal, score 20 goals, tantalize a needy GM, get his multi-year deal and then mildly disappoint.

I would 100% take him for the first half of that. I'm right with you there on the second half.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Do the oilers really need another jp a young guy who has struggled the past 2 years is somehow going to be the answer to our winger dilemma?

The Oilers need a scoring winger and don't have the cap room to be fussy. If he signs a super cheap deal I'd take a flyer that he could score 20 again. Almost no risk with the chance at a decent payoff.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
In theory, yes but I don't think he's skilled enough to play with McDavid and this might be one of his last kicks at the can so he'd be better off signing on with a team that has top-notch development people/coaching.
Maybe like a Vegas, Pittsburgh or San Jose.

that Duclair McDavid Domi line looked pretty good at wjc , if he comes in cheap, what can it hurt ??

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
In theory, yes but I don't think he's skilled enough to play with McDavid and this might be one of his last kicks at the can so he'd be better off signing on with a team that has top-notch development people/coaching.
Maybe like a Vegas, Pittsburgh or San Jose.
Pitt and SJ don’t rly have a top 6 spot for him. Vegas could tho, next to Stastny and one of Haula/Tatar/Tuch.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where is Patches ? Traded ? For whom ? A forward or a d-man ? A kid still in the Minors-Juniors ?

As for Plekky, no way he's gonna play top-two lines. I am not even sure he's gonna play every games.

Patch is traded for futures if it was up to me. And there is no top line or top 6. There is 3 lines of #3 lines. Put them in any order you wish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad