Value of: Anthony Duclair?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ideas on what is up with this kid? Agent asking too much? Why would the Oilers, desperate for wingers, not sign him? Other than the GM IS AN IDIOT!
I'm sure there are offers, he's probably just looking for a good fit/market. Edmonton isn't really known as a place that rejuvenates careers, either.

Reactions: thedustman

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
I'm sure there are offers, he's probably just looking for a good fit/market. Edmonton isn't really known as a place that rejuvenates careers, either.
Yeah, only thing, what career? Just the chance to play with McDavid or drai, should intrigue him enough. If he plays with McDavid and scores 30, how much does his stock rise? Well worth the reach, you would think, at 22!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Ideas on what is up with this kid? Agent asking too much? Why would the Oilers, desperate for wingers, not sign him? Other than the GM IS AN IDIOT!
why singling out Oilers GM? 30 other dumb GMs are also passing up on this great winger.

Oilers are up against the cap (because the GM is an idiot) and chose to sign Rieder over someone like Duke.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
At this point, I don't think the demand is as high as Duclair and his agent may have initially thought.

Hopefully, Duclair realizes by now that he should be looking to put himself in a 'good situation' where he feels that he's gonna get the icetime, and play with good linemates, more than getting money and terms. This is pretty much his last shot...if this fails again, he's KHL-bound.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah, only thing, what career? Just the chance to play with McDavid or drai, should intrigue him enough. If he plays with McDavid and scores 30, how much does his stock rise? Well worth the reach, you would think, at 22!
In theory, yes but I don't think he's skilled enough to play with McDavid and this might be one of his last kicks at the can so he'd be better off signing on with a team that has top-notch development people/coaching.
Maybe like a Vegas, Pittsburgh or San Jose.

Reactions: haveandare

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
why singling out Oilers GM? 30 other dumb GMs are also passing up on this great winger.

Oilers are up against the cap (because the GM is an idiot) and chose to sign Rieder over someone like Duke.
Hahaha, so true! What type of money can he be asking for? Can't be that much? I'm thinking it can't be much above 1 mil.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I would think Duke has to have learned something about being a professional with being traded twice and not qualified by age 22. He's got talent and speed, but the knock has always been his attitude and it seems that is still holding him back. I think he can be an effective NHL winger if he matures mentally.

Being 22 and with the speed and talent, I'm pretty surprised he's sitting out there still. There isn't much risk in a 1 or 2 year "prove it" deal but the thoughts above are probably correct that maybe the ask is too much right now.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Heard he was speaking a lot with Mtl, I'm guessing the contract numbers aren't good enough for him yet

That would make a lot of sense. Duclair was aparantly good friends with Domi when they were in Arizona (link), so he may want to go where he knows someone. And Montreal should be looking to add talent any way they can get it. It's a pretty clear fit from us looking from the outside.

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
I would think Duke has to have learned something about being a professional with being traded twice and not qualified by age 22. He's got talent and speed, but the knock has always been his attitude and it seems that is still holding him back. I think he can be an effective NHL winger if he matures mentally.

Being 22 and with the speed and talent, I'm pretty surprised he's sitting out there still. There isn't much risk in a 1 or 2 year "prove it" deal but the thoughts above are probably correct that maybe the ask is too much right now.
I know, that's what I mean! I would be all over this kid, unless the money is stupid. If he signs for a mil somewhere and some of these desperate gm's blew it....angry fan base.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Actually, you are completely wrong on this topic. Edmonton may have issues with developing talent (eg: Puljujarvi) but it is an excellent destination for players who are reclamation projects. The Oilers have a long history giving players a chance to turn their careers around. Kassian is just the latest example.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

For once, another team is diving in the Coyotes dumpster.

Duclair is too talented to not find a place. He'll sign a 1 year deal, score 20 goals, tantalize a needy GM, get his multi-year deal and then mildly disappoint.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Actually, you are completely wrong on this topic. Edmonton may have issues with developing talent (eg: Puljujarvi) but it is an excellent destination for players who are reclamation projects. The Oilers have a long history giving players a chance to turn their careers around. Kassian is just the latest example.
kassian is trash, how is that a good example?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I fully expect Reider to gel well in Edmonton and will likely be the best value signing of the off season.

Reactions: TFHockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

for oiler's fans sake hopefully they can turn lucic's career around

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
for oiler's fans sake hopefully they can turn lucic's career around

Well, he had one brutal season. If this next season is more of the same the Oilers will have to look at, shall we say, innovative solutions to relieve themselves of his cap hit. However, if Lucic's entire career counts for anything he should bounce back to 50 points.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
kassian is trash, how is that a good example?

He was well on his way to being out of the league due to substance abuse and related off ice behavior. He has completely turned himself around in Edmonton. Last year wasn't a great one for Kassian but he was money in the year before including a couple of tough playoff series. Or does that not count in your book?

Reactions: ivanlwan

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
That would make a lot of sense. Duclair was aparantly good friends with Domi when they were in Arizona (link), so he may want to go where he knows someone. And Montreal should be looking to add talent any way they can get it. It's a pretty clear fit from us looking from the outside.

Played minor Hockey with Drouin too

Reactions: iSophagus

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007

Not only is he good friend with Domi, he's a close friend of Drouin since their midget years at College du Mont St-Louis.

Reactions: iSophagus

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's a fair question. The Habs should still be targeting centers, no?

Depends on who you ask. I want a rebuild and I would be targeting LD more than centers now. I'm willing to listen to offers for Patch, Byron, Petry, and Weber but I'm not liquidating them for cheap. They are all worth value and I'm looking for grade A prospects and 1st/2nd round picks.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Duclair to the Habs makes sense but we have too many forwards already. What winger does Duclair replace?

Lets cross that bridge once/if the Habs do in fact sign Duclair and once/if Duclair plays good enough to bump someone else down, or force someone out of town. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad