Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wont argue that Kampfer is a better player than DeAngelo, but I will argue that the current makeup of the defense seems to work better with Kampfer in the lineup for now. Hes a stay at home guy who has been fairly steady and plays with an edge. When guys like Shattenkirk, McDonagh, and Skjei can chip in offensively, I think the dynamic that was missing earlier in the season was more in Kampfer's wheelhouse. With ADA in the lineup, the probability of the game turning into a track meet goes up, and that was not kind to the team the first few weeks.

I can understand this, and I have no issue with Kampfer as the #7 defenseman. In saying that, if this is a 'transition' year then they should be looking to give young guys like ADA time to round out their game. I would say similar things in regards to Lettieri however this is his first pro season.

Reactions: haveandare

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You have a point. Some guys who rack up a ton of points from rebounds do not have very hard point shots so maybe I should have been more specific. He hasn't shown the kind of shot that has produced a huge amount of points from the point. If you have a "offensive defensemen" to play he has to produce enough to overcome his defensive weakness. We had a guy a few years back that was considered a offensive defensemen because he shot every thing in sight. Despite his solid shot he did not really put up a lot of points. Since he did not produce points his defensive short comings were not overcome so he was a journeyman. I have been very impressed with AD skating. His feet are as polished as anyone on our team. I want to see him make it big for us. While I want him to get better defensively I think he should also concentrate on watching videos of guys like Leetch, Rafalski, Housely, etc so that he can also improve his offensive production.

It's kind of funny but Torts has Werenski on his team and at the beginning of the season, he pretty much told him to be a rover. That kid is all over the ice and he creates a ton of chances for their team and he uses his IQ and speed to get back when needed. ADA isn't on Werenski's level, that is obvious. In saying that, who would have thought Torts would take the shackles off of someone before AV?

ADA needs to have the confidence of his coaches and teammates to be able to make plays with the puck and to join the rush. He's never going to be a defensive defenseman. He is going to move the puck up the ice and join the rush. Pair him with Smith or Staal and let him rove. Hell, they let Dan Boyle's corpse do it for a couple of years and that guy barely created any offense.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I didn't really see terrible things defensively out of DeAngelo when he was playing with the Rangers at the start of the season. Yes he's not going to play perfect 1 on 1 defense and he'll turn the puck over sometimes trying to make a play, but I still feel like the bar for him was far higher than it was for guys like Holden or Kampfer, which is frustrating to me.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Werenski defense is miles above Tony's defense. It's much easier to take the shackles off of a player like that.

SI'm not watching the games, so I'll defer to someone who is. Is ADA:

Not playing on the PP?
Instead of rushing the puck up ice, is he dumping it in and not carrying it often?
How long is he holding on to the puck when he has it?

Both his assist were on the powerplay. I've only seen a handful of games. He's still trying to do a lot himself, I don't think he's just focusing on defense and making the safe plays.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We need to be patience with him unless Gorton consider to pack him in a special package deal since we already have Shattenkirk with a discount contract.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if you've watched a game this season considering Staal has been one of the least of our worries. He's played fine.

Hahaha. We are talking about Marc Staal here. Not Eric, or Jordan. Marc Staal started off pretty solid but has since gone back to his old self.

And just for your information: I watch all the games. Ask any guy here. They know I sit in front of my tv at 1 AM to watch the games.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
are there any reports from people who actually watch the pack on a game in and game out basis? also can we confirm that the pack dont just suck as a whole and he cant carry them (not necessarily his fault?) I just took a cursory look at their stats and its pretty ugly.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
are there any reports from people who actually watch the pack on a game in and game out basis? also can we confirm that the pack dont just suck as a whole and he cant carry them (not necessarily his fault?) I just took a cursory look at their stats and its pretty ugly.
I don't watch the games but i follow multiple people that live tweet everyone of their games. It appears that the team is that bad, especially goaltending recently has been shaky. It seems like the hot prospects carry the team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As usual, you're wrong. he's been even worse than he was last season

No, Staal hasn't been worse than last season. Through the first 10-15 games, he was arguably one of our best defensemen. He's had an up and down game since and more recently hasn't been playing well at all.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

They do suck. I don't think anybody is expecting Tony to carry them.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I'm 90% sure I'm going to see them when they come play the Amerks on Friday. It's only one game, but I can let you know what I see.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
3 points in 11 games. Moving on up! All 3 on the powerplay so far.

EDIT: Last nights was not a powerplay assist.

Last edited:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
3 points in 11 games. Moving on up! All 3 on the powerplay so far.

Point last night wasn't on the PP.
giphy.gif

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
He's produced in the AHL consistently before this season so I'm not terribly concerned, probably just a bad start.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Just got home from the game. It was a wild (and strange) shootout win.

General team observations:

-They are DEFINITELY playing AV hockey. Chasing players around, giveaways in the defensive zone, nobody quite sure where their teammates are supposed to be, giving up top notch chances at point blank range. All the hallmarks were there. The first period looked like they were going to get embarrassed. Rochester scored an early goal and were unlucky not to score several more.

-The second period was wide open, with both teams trading goals (the game ended 5-4. Both teams scored 3 goals each in the second period). Scott Kosmachuk scored the deciding shootout goal. When he went to celebrate, he lost an edge and ended up sliding face first into a teammate's knees.

-The team generally seemed sloppy with the puck and tentative. They seemed afraid to hit or be hit (though Crawley got fed up in the 3rd and started slamming a couple of guys into the boards). I lost count of the giveaways, particularly in the defensive zone, and that doesn't even count the near giveaways--Pionk on three separate plays in the first period alone tried to clear the puck in front of his own net, and barely avoided the goal-mouth giveaway by a matter of inches each time.

-I was most excited to see Chytil, and I left disappointed. He played like he was exhausted from the first drop of the puck. He also had several turnovers in the defensive zone. I'm wondering if he still has the flu, as he just seemed to have no energy whatsoever.

-Which brings me to ADA. Such. A. Disappointment. From tonight's game, I'd say he's pouting, and obviously so. He gave the puck away on easy passes. He flubbed plays on the blueline, letting the puck leave the zone solely because he mis-handled it. He spent most of the game coasting. It looked like he got benched for an extended stretch of time in the 2nd period, only getting on the ice for a couple of PP opportunities. He kept trying to dangle the entire Rochester team, ignoring his teammates. On one of those dangles, he lost the puck and then looked back and flung his arm up in frustration at his teammates, as if it was their fault that he was show-boating. I can't say for certain, obviously, but his teammates seemed to be ignoring him as well. On more than one occasion, four guys came off the ice as a group while ADA came off by himself.

The kicker is that he CLEARLY has the talent. When he was on the ice for the two 2nd period power plays, he was making crisp passes and he pulled off a REALLY sweet stretch pass from behind his own net. I went with a friend of mine, and she said, and I quote: "If you hadn't told me that he was a player who had talent, I would have wondered how he even made the team."

Positive notes:
-They won.
-Gilmour and Lettieri looked good.
-Georgiev, even though he gave up 4 goals, kept them in this game. He played VERY well.
-Pionk moved the puck well (aside from the goal mouth nonsense, which stopped after the 1st period).
-I wish Graves was more assertive offensively, but they had players draped on him all game to contain his shot from the point (the result of this was that ADA had acres of ice, which makes his turnovers and lackadaisical play all the more frustrating).
-Pedrie played well.
-Holland was superb at the dot, and was a calming presence every time he was on the ice. Very steady. He also scored the other shootout goal.

I wish there was more good to report, particularly with ADA and Chytil. I hope the latter is still just recovering from the flu. I hope the former gets his head out of his ass soon, because even if AV SHOULDN'T have sent him down in the first place, he himself is the person KEEPING him in the AHL right now. I about lost my shit after the "grandstand/lose puck/blame teammates" BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad