Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
We need to better defensively and we need better goaltending performance. Cirelli not scoring is not the problem in my opinion
Fair point but he's not a defenseman or goalie so he helps with neither at 6.25M/yr. If anything, you move his 17 points as a 2C for a legit top 4 defenseman and allow Eyssimont, Goncalves, or whoever to play 3C. I don't think someone with 18-20mins a night on a 1M contract would do much worse offensively. Then... you have your defenseman to help solidify the back end. He's redundant.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
We need to better defensively and we need better goaltending performance. Cirelli not scoring is not the problem in my opinion

Stamkos at 8.25 playing as bad as he is and having no chemistry with anyone on the team is a bigger problem.

Cirelli is 26 we have him signed thru his prime. I don’t see why we don’t use the Stamkos money on another C and just have Cirelli be 3C.

Reactions: LeafLoyalist

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
I did notice him against the Kings, but it was when he had a turnover in our zone that led to a scoring chance.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Exactly he is being paid as a number 2 but produces like 3.
I notice him everywhere on the ice, and mostly in a good way(yeah he did have that bad turnover last night).

Problem is he doesn't drive offense, which you want your #2 center to do.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Last week, no conclusive footage - overturned goal

This week, no conclusive footage - no goal

I get there's fluidity with these reviews because it still comes down to discretion but in a vacuum, it's hilarious how these two look side by side. There was never a clear angle from the 21st century and on earth, yet they called back that offside. Then last night they turned that over. Odd stuff.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I wonder if like Killorn, Cirelli turns it on offensively after finally breaking 20 goals.
That would help us immensely. If he could be a 20+ goal, 60 point 2nd line center while still maintaining his defensive game, he'd easily be worth his contract and then some. I doubt it'll happen but I guess crazier things have happened.

Reactions: Hoek

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Congrats Cirelli on point/goal totals, he's been such an important part of Lightning's system working well. Cirelli is another player we take for granted, his shutdown of opponents top-lines during playoffs & PK minute work can't praised enough. If he starts contributing more goals/points, it's cherry-on-top on a great sundae!!! If we lost Cirelli, some fans wound understand how much he does that doesn't get noticed. It's not Cirelli fault GM overpaid on some contracts, but I think GM is banking on those contracts being way friendly in 2-3 or so yrs. Still males today's signings tough though.

Go Lightning !!!!!

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That would help us immensely. If he could be a 20+ goal, 60 point 2nd line center while still maintaining his defensive game, he'd easily be worth his contract and then some. I doubt it'll happen but I guess crazier things have happened.
Honestly I don't think he has 60 points in him, unless he starts being used full time on PP1.

I think a lot of this board's issues with Cirelli have been expectations that are out of line with anything we have ever actually seen from him. I mean, the contract definitely didn't help, because it seemed to pay in line with those unmet expectations.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Honestly I don't think he has 60 points in him, unless he starts being used full time on PP1.

I think a lot of this board's issues with Cirelli have been expectations that are out of line with anything we have ever actually seen from him. I mean, the contract definitely didn't help, because it seemed to pay in line with those unmet expectations.
Honestly, he plays up to the contract level in every metric except points. Which is what the average simpleton fans look at. He's started to produce more lately. Still think one of Cirelli, Cernak, Sergachev will be dealt in the next year or two to clear cap space.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Any chance he could be available in the off-season?

As a Sabres fan though I wonder if Tampa would deal Cirelli within the division?

Buffalo’s 1st rounder if it’s in that 10-12 range?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Any chance he could be available in the off-season?

As a Sabres fan though I wonder if Tampa would deal Cirelli within the division?

Buffalo’s 1st rounder if it’s in that 10-12 range?
I think honestly there might be a fit there. Cirelli gets to play the vet role and grow more offensively, and Tampa could potentially get some depth anywhere on the roster. The funny thing here is I think a really good bottom six fit for Tampa would be Girgensons but I don't want him at Jeannot money. I wouldn't mind one of Benson/Byram/Greenway either, but i'm not exactly sure what the framework for a deal would look like here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00