Value of: Anthony Cirelli to Columbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I personally feel that Cirelli is a top 6 center and he’s destined to play behind two elite centers in Stamkos and Point, for him to progress a change of scenery is likely needed

He’s a pending RFA and I feel that given Tampa’s cap troubles, they’d rather keep Sergachev than him.

Columbus is in dire need of a skillful 2C, I think Cirelli might just be that guy.

What does Tampa need in return if he’s available for a trade ? Roster players, prospects, picks ?

I do see that Tampa is going to lose a few defensemen to free agency and they’d likely need some decent d men with rather small contracts. Could a guy like Nutivaara be a good start for the trade ?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I personally feel that Cirelli is a top 6 center and he’s destined to play behind two elite centers in Stamkos and Point, for him to progress a change of scenery is likely needed

He’s a pending RFA and I feel that given Tampa’s cap troubles, they’d rather keep Sergachev than him.

Columbus is in dire need of a skillful 2C, I think Cirelli might just be that guy.

What does Tampa need in return if he’s available for a trade ? Roster players, prospects, picks ?

I do see that Tampa is going to lose a few defensemen to free agency and they’d likely need some decent d men with rather small contracts. Could a guy like Nutivaara be a good start for the trade ?
If somehow Cirelli. Serge were traded it would take excellent elc player back.Non elc defenseman do not work as TBL has to keep 4 (guessing 4 not 3) of Serge, Ryan Mc, Hedman, Cernak, Foote.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
destined to play behind two elite centers in Stamkos and Point, for him to progress a change of scenery is likely needed

Your intel is a little out of date ViD, Cirelli is Tampa's 2C and takes on the tough matchups. He's clearly a better center option than Stamkos who isn't nearly as effective defensively, and has been moved to the wing. They're already using Cirelli in his ideal role.

Could a guy like Nutivaara be a good start for the trade ?

No. I don't know what Tampa's plan is. Obviously Killorn and Cernak would get traded before Cirelli ever would be. I don't know if that frees up enough cap, but if it doesn't and they can't retain Cirelli, it would be a bidding war to get him.

Ledge And Dairy

Cirelli has literally played 2C the entire season. Stamkos was moved to the wing. For him to progress he should stay right where he is with one of the clear best teams in the league.
Ideally next year he plays 2C with Stammer healthy and on his wing. They split FO's depending on what side of the ice theyre on.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Probably better off giving him an offer sheet. He's very valuable to Tampa. They'd likely trade Killorn, Gourde, TJ, Palat, McD, Cernak, etc before losing Cirelli in a fair trade.

I imagine our 1st + Foudy would get them thinking about it (not saying this would be my offer), but they need low cost and cost controlled assets in return not assets like Nuti.

Reactions: majormajor

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He would only be available as an absolute last resort, and then it would cost something around 10th overall, IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If somehow Cirelli. Serge were traded it would take excellent elc player back.Non elc defenseman do not work as TBL has to keep 4 (guessing 4 not 3) of Serge, Ryan Mc, Hedman, Cernak, Foote.

Does Foote's 6 AHL games in 17/18 count? I don't believe the Leafs had to protect Nylander in the 2017 draft with his 37 AHL games in 14/15. Think it's the 40 game threshold for RFA rules that is applied to the expansion draft. Not 100% sure though

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Does Foote's 6 AHL games in 17/18 count? I don't believe the Leafs had to protect Nylander in the 2017 draft with his 37 AHL games in 14/15. Think it's the 40 game threshold for RFA rules that is applied to the expansion draft. Not 100% sure though
C Foote has to be protected. This is a one year old projected TBL list of who they should protect and Foote is on there. Don't know the particulars why they have to...
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/expa...-protection-list-for-the-2021-expansion-draft

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
C Foote has to be protected. This is a one year old projected TBL list of who they should protect and Foote is on there. Don't know the particulars why they have to...
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/expa...-protection-list-for-the-2021-expansion-draft

Not sure that article is 100% accurate on Foote. You got info on how Nylander was exempt and Foote is not? Similar situation and Nylander played more pro games in the 3rd season before the expansion draft vs Foote. If you can explain the differences between those two, I might believe you and that article. People do make mistakes

From what I know, it's the 40 game RFA threshold that they use for the Expansion draft and a "Pro season". Not 100% sure but it fits in the Nylander situation

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020

You don’t have what Tampa wants. Some Tampa fans think it would require a package of Kakko,Fox and 1 pick for Cirelli so unless you are offering Seth Jones at half cap,PLD and Foudy you have no shot for Cirelli

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Nutivaara would need to be the 3rd most valuable piece in a Cirelli trade. If the Bolts are moving him its for cap reasons so they would be looking to bring in ELC for players ready to to contribute now, high draft picks and if a roster player needed to be added maybe Nut would draw interest. Nut and Cirelli are a very far apart in terms of value.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Isnt Nutivaara barely a top-4 guy? More of a no.5 ? That might be a good starting piece for Killorn, not Cirelli...

Ledge And Dairy

Not sure that article is 100% accurate on Foote. You got info on how Nylander was exempt and Foote is not? Similar situation and Nylander played more pro games in the 3rd season before the expansion draft vs Foote. If you can explain the differences between those two, I might believe you and that article. People do make mistakes

From what I know, it's the 40 game RFA threshold that they use for the Expansion draft and a "Pro season". Not 100% sure but it fits in the Nylander situation
Youre exemption is based on the amount of pro years you participated in. If a player has partook in 2 for fewer NHL/AHL years by the time of the draft they are exempt from being selected by Seattle. Foote has taken place in 3 and soon to be 4 pro seasons

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Nylander season in the AHL didn't count as he was considered to be loaned from Europe when he played. So any season before he turned 20 didn't count for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My read on Cirelli is that there is a good chance that Tampa has to trade him in advance of the RFA offer sheet window opening up. They won't wait until then and allow teams to offer sheet him, they either sign him or trade him.

And if they do trade him, the ideal pieces coming back are ELC players. Not draft picks and not players on second and third contracts. Maybe they take a pick if Tampa is particularly keen on an NHL piece like Marco Rossi and he's there at #8 or #10, but personally I don't see why those teams trade the Rossi pick for Cirelli. Maybe if Tampa thinks he is a center and the other club doesn't think he can do it, then they'd do that trade. In any case, a trade for ELC players is more likely.

From Columbus that would be something like Texier+, or Foudy+Bemstrom. As a Jackets fan I wouldn't do either deal but I recognize that the cost would probably be something like that. There will be plenty of clubs in the running.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Youre exemption is based on the amount of pro years you participated in. If a player has partook in 2 for fewer NHL/AHL years by the time of the draft they are exempt from being selected by Seattle. Foote has taken place in 3 and soon to be 4 pro seasons

The error I made was I forgot to count next season as well :facepalm:. I don't think you are right that this is his 4th pro season coming (I believe it's his official 3rd season coming). His 6 AHL games in 17/18 don't count just like Nylander's 37 AHL games in 14/15. Pretty sure they use the first season where they play 40 pro games (RFA Rules)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nylander season in the AHL didn't count as he was considered to be loaned from Europe when he played. So any season before he turned 20 didn't count for him.

I forgot to count Foote's next season, so his next season is his 3rd I believe. And how sure are you on Nylander that is was due to loan? I think they use the 40 game RFA rules as their 1st pro season. Nylander played 37 games in 14/15.

Habs have Poehling and I don't think his 1 NHL game in 18/19 count as a pro season. So he is exempt. Once again, pretty sure its the 40 pro games that kicks in their 1st season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad