Value of: ANSWERED: MODCLOSE? Why don't contending teams with shorter windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No player is going to risk their livelihood over something so shortsighted like this. Remember Bryan Berard and Marian Hossa? God forbid all it takes is one fluke accident and a players career can be virtually over.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
For the same reason that a GM of a rebuilding team with cap space wouldn't sign a player worth $6m per to a 1 year $30m contract with a handshake deal that the guy will extend for another 5 years at $1m per. Because handshake deals aren't in ink.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
People in this thread keep saying it will never happen but, this is kind of what people are saying Maroon just did with the Blues, signed a well below market deal for one year, and rumors of a handshake extension coming up, he is in no way a huge high price superstar but hes worth a lot more than 1.7m.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I wish the NHL would add franchise tags. Its a nice side thing to makensure if you cant get a guy long term to sign then you just pay him 1 year at the highest salary at that position. Just they would have to make it so its not broken like the NFL where they abuse it on RBs and never give them long term deals because they are the most likely to be hurt so if they ever get a good one like Pittsburgh they just tag him every year so he is guaranteed top money but never long term which is a disgusting practice to do to a player putting his health at risk and you wont give him contract security. So make it you cant tag the same person twice in a row.

That would have kept Tavares around an extra year to maybe convince him to stay, would help Columbus with Panarin, could help teams with 2 big contracts in a year to tag 1 then sign them the next year so they end different years.

You can do this in the NFL... but the numbers go up, dramatically. (look at Kirk Cousins and the Redskins). By the 3rd tag, the player is making A LOT more than the average of the position. Like 65% more.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I get that, but I'm saying like immediately, before the ink even dries on the first deal, they sign the 2nd deal. I believe you're allowed to sign a contract extension 1 year before they would become a free agent.

There's a certain amount of time you have to wait to resign a player after inking a new contract, I'm not sure how long exactly but I think it takes you to roughly December. That's a ton of risk for a player

EDIT: KingGainer beat me to it

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
...sign a player for the league minimum on a 1 year term, and then immediately turn around and sign an extension to an inflated price?

Like if a player wanted 4 years at 6 mil-- thats 24 mil over those 4 years. Why couldn't they do something like:

700k/1yr
7.76/3yr

It's the same dollar amount, except now you open up so much more cap in the now to make something happen and go for a cup. You'd have 5.3 mil to spend elsewhere. That's a significant piece.

To add to this, with the way the cap ceiling climbs that extra 1.76 mil per season wouldn't be super painful.

Is there something in the rules that prevents this?

Why don't you take a job for minimum wage with a handshake agreement that the company will give you a 1000% raise?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I always thought along these lines. If a player was a UFA and had some options, and he wanted a chance at a cup, but the 1 or 2 top teams for that upcoming season couldn't afford said player - why not sign a contract to fit yourself on those teams, especially if you've already been paid good $ for a number of years? Sure....it's mostly about the $. But with millions in the bank wouldn't this be tempting for a player who wants a cup? Sometimes a Cup is more important than $?! At least you'd hope. Mind you......what agent is going to agree to this? With them getting whatever percentage of what their player signs for - the player is leaving a lot of cash on the table, but so is their agent!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
1. The player assumes ALL of the risk in this situation. He could under perform big time causing the team to back out on their end, or worse he could become injured and risk all future earnings. And it's not like he could file a grievance because that would require admitting to an illegal agreement.

2. Assuming the player performed well and stayed healthy. That next contract now means that he's stuck on a team with $6-7M less cap space for the next three years, meaning they are definitely less competitive and even if they do win a cup in that first year he's not looking at three years afterwards of basically meaningless hockey since they almost definitely aren't winning a cup after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad