Value of: ANSWERED: MODCLOSE? Why don't contending teams with shorter windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
...sign a player for the league minimum on a 1 year term, and then immediately turn around and sign an extension to an inflated price?

Like if a player wanted 4 years at 6 mil-- thats 24 mil over those 4 years. Why couldn't they do something like:

700k/1yr
7.76/3yr

It's the same dollar amount, except now you open up so much more cap in the now to make something happen and go for a cup. You'd have 5.3 mil to spend elsewhere. That's a significant piece.

To add to this, with the way the cap ceiling climbs that extra 1.76 mil per season wouldn't be super painful.

Is there something in the rules that prevents this?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The player risks getting injured and losing what should be guaranteed money.

Not wholely unprecedented though. See: Dan Cleary.

I get that, but I'm saying like immediately, before the ink even dries on the first deal, they sign the 2nd deal. I believe you're allowed to sign a contract extension 1 year before they would become a free agent.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Would you work for 12% of your salary one year without contractual obligations for your employer to give you a raise for the next 3 years just to make it all even out with what you’re worth?

The player assumes all of the risks possible. The organization has no contractual binding to honor an agreement. Also I think teams would rather be competitive for a prolonged period as opposed to gambling 4 years with just one shot

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I get that, but I'm saying like immediately, before the ink even dries on the first deal, they sign the 2nd deal. I believe you're allowed to sign a contract extension 1 year before they would become a free agent.

Oh, that's against the CBA. If you sign a player, you can only extend them after New Years. Again, a player risks a career ending injury from September to December.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Not sure anyone is fully reading the OP, but they are saying that a player signs a one-year deal, and then signs a contract extension right away. There is the obligation to be paid in that sense and, from my understanding, guaranteed money. Personally, I don't think teams want to do this. No matter how good your team is, you aren't guaranteed to win. You essentially screw with your window and cap space. Maybe you have injuries and that player who is normally worth around 5-6 mil is getting 8 mil for three years. You get one year of extreme space where you must win to make this plan worthwhile, or else you are stuck with an overpaid player for a few years.

EDIT: I also don't know CBA rules, but from other posts, it appears it's not allowed regardless

Last edited:
Reactions: tgo0

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Signing a contract with the promise of future compensation is against the CBA. When a team negotiates a contract they can't pay them in any form not in the contract and that includes a future contract.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
lionel-hutz-05e83418-df7f-4e91-a03b-16a36d2084e-resize-750.jpeg

Reactions: jw2 and MikeyMike01

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There is this little thing called cap circumvention which the NHL frowns upon.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

On a 1 yeat contract you can’t sign the next contract until January 1.

Sure teams could do backdoor deals to manipulate cap hit.

Like a team with a bunch of new players starting their ELC contracts sign a bunch of UFAs to 3 yr high contracts with the understanding the 2nd contracts would be lower like $11M for first contract and 3M on next 3 yr contract. This is 6 yrs at 42M or 7 per

An example of this would be a team like Toronto holding back nylander and marner for 2 and 1 tr and have them start with Matthews who all 3 spend an ELC in 3 yrs.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That's only for a current multi-year deal.

For a 1-year deal, you can't sign an extension before Jan 1.

PS: It looks like my invitation to this party got lost in the snail mail...

I'm so late.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Because it takes two to tango. Why would a player risk millions on basically a pinkie promise? The team isn't obligated to offer the inflated price.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
There's such a high risk of injury that I think most players would not do it.

In the NBA there was Danny Manning. He signed a 1 year deal with Phoenix for $1 million. The story was it was due to cap constraints (luxury taxes? not sure, I'm going from memory) so the owner promised to extend him for a better deal as soon as he could.

Only Manning blew out his knee and required reconstructive surgery before he could sign the extension. Phoenix kept their word and signed him to the 6 year $40 million extension anyway. If Phoenix did not follow through, Manning would have been out a ton of money.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
I wonder how the NHLPA would look at it. It sounds like the CBA would make it pretty moot, though.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Signing a contract with the promise of future compensation is against the CBA. When a team negotiates a contract they can't pay them in any form not in the contract and that includes a future contract.

^

Even without that bit of nuance, it would almost certainly be seen as circumvention on the grounds of the 'spirit of the rule'.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wish the NHL would add franchise tags. Its a nice side thing to makensure if you cant get a guy long term to sign then you just pay him 1 year at the highest salary at that position. Just they would have to make it so its not broken like the NFL where they abuse it on RBs and never give them long term deals because they are the most likely to be hurt so if they ever get a good one like Pittsburgh they just tag him every year so he is guaranteed top money but never long term which is a disgusting practice to do to a player putting his health at risk and you wont give him contract security. So make it you cant tag the same person twice in a row.

That would have kept Tavares around an extra year to maybe convince him to stay, would help Columbus with Panarin, could help teams with 2 big contracts in a year to tag 1 then sign them the next year so they end different years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad