Anson Carter unveils Alpharetta Sports and Entertainment looking to bring expansion team to Atlanta

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
It will fail I guarantee it
I do wonder what has changed in Atlanta since the Thrashers left that makes this market a 1st choice to get another kick at the old can?

Adding more teams makes it hat much more difficult to build a winner and certain markets will suffer more than others. It is a slippery slope but owners see $$ and the union sees more landing sports for players.

I think the fans lose out when a league gets too big for its own good.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I do wonder what has changed in Atlanta since the Thrashers left that makes this market a 1st choice to get another kick at the old can?

I could give you a full rundown of everything that's changed, but the thing that matters is this: Arena location.

The fans live north of town. The proposed locations put forth by both Carter and Krause are also north of town. They're following what has worked to increase attendance for the Braves.

As for adding more teams, it really shouldn't make it "more difficult to build a winner". What it does is makes inept ownership and management more obvious.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I could give you a full rundown of everything that's changed, but the thing that matters is this: Arena location.

The fans live north of town. The proposed locations put forth by both Carter and Krause are also north of town. They're following what has worked to increase attendance for the Braves.

As for adding more teams, it really shouldn't make it "more difficult to build a winner". What it does is makes inept ownership and management more obvious.

Merely adding that the Vegas/Seattle-style expansion draft is now much more conducive to producing at least minimally competitive teams by year 2.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This maybe you specifically. This maybe the mix of jingo and group talk. The Thrashers move to Winnipeg, a large group of Canadians laughed at Atlanta for not supporting the NHL. We hear news that Winnipeg is having trouble selling tickets, Canadians are saying, "it's ok." Hypocracy
It’s not hypocracy because it’s not just about attendance it’s about ticket prices. When Winnipeg is near the bottom of the league in both ticket prices and attendance like phoenix and Florida have been for most of their existence then its fair to critisize. Until these last couple of years Winnipeg had amongst the highest ticket prices in the league. It’s middle of the pack now but still not near the bottom.

Reactions: Voight

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It’s not hypocracy because it’s not just about attendance it’s about ticket prices. When Winnipeg is near the bottom of the league in both ticket prices and attendance like phoenix and Florida have been for most of their existence then its fair to critisize. Until these last couple of years Winnipeg had amongst the highest ticket prices in the league. It’s middle of the pack now but still not near the bottom.
As discussed in other threads, you can go online to ticket broker sites (like StubHub) and get $35 tickets to a Jets game.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Good! I'm of the opinion the NHL can, for the long term health, be a 40 team league. I want 40 healthy teams

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
40 teams lol, that’s means another 8 players off each team lost to expansion, each team recently lost 2.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

I assume the old arena was not in a prime location? I guess we will see if building it makes people want to come. My question is are there 20,000 hockey fans in Atlanta?

I disagree that " it makes inept ownership and management more obvious" because there is that in every league. The small markets and/or Canadian teams excluding the Leafs have enough difficulty as it is attracting free agents. If you continue to add in warm weather cities players will go there "weather" (pun intended) there is good ownership or not just to live the lifestyle (i.e.) Vegas and Arizona

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I assume the old arena was not in a prime location? I guess we will see if building it makes people want to come. My question is are there 20,000 hockey fans in Atlanta?

I disagree that " it makes inept ownership and management more obvious" because there is that in every league. The small markets and/or Canadian teams excluding the Leafs have enough difficulty as it is attracting free agents. If you continue to add in warm weather cities players will go there "weather" (pun intended) there is good ownership or not just to live the lifestyle (i.e.) Vegas and Arizona

We would have done cartwheels for merely inept ownership. Instead, we got a group of eight owners who were forced to buy a hockey team they literally never wanted, tried to immediately sell on Day One, and when they couldn't sell right away because of the clouded title caused by their ongoing lawsuits against each other, they cut the team's budget to a bare minimum, meaning no advertising, trading all the star players, etc. The owners then literally, yes literally, cursed out fans in season ticket holder town halls. This is all thoroughly documented.

This is, or should be, common knowledge by now.

Atlanta has tons of hockey fans. The only eight people who mattered deliberately and intentionally evicted them for relocation because they stupidly saw them as direct competition for their favored basketball team.

ysugh6nt7m6z.jpg

Last edited:

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

Philips Arena, now called State Farm Arena, is located downtown. That's a prime location in most major cities, but then you have cities like Atlanta where the suburbs are king.

You can disagree with the idea of poor ownership and management being made more visible with more teams, but all you have to do is look at the Leafs. An extreme example, perhaps, but that's a team that is quite happy being just good enough to make the playoffs, but not really do much else.

My point is, they all have to want it -- players, GMs, owners -- every last one of them. As the league expands, there will be more competition for those playoff spots,

Reactions: GreenHornet

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
As discussed in other threads, you can go online to ticket broker sites (like StubHub) and get $35 tickets to a Jets game.
Ok but is there thousands of those sitting there unpurchased every game or is there a few at that price and it goes up from there? For like 10 straight years Winnipeg was top 5 in the entire nhl for average ticket prices.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Expanding while the Coyotes are still in Arizona is about as stupid as it gets, then again it's the NHL. We don't need another expansion team. 32 teams is already a lot, there's no reason why the NHL should have the most pro-sports teams out of the big 4.

It's one way to "grow the game," but I didn't realize they meant in terms of teams.

Definitely not against Atlanta having a team, but as you said, with the Coyotes playing in a college arena, it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: AvroArrow

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Ok but is there thousands of those sitting there unpurchased every game or is there a few at that price and it goes up from there? For like 10 straight years Winnipeg was top 5 in the entire nhl for average ticket prices.
They’re adjusted based on supply/demand. And I’m seeing attendance about 13,100, so there’s roughly 2,000 available

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The Thrashers averaged 24th in attendance which isn’t great but they averaged a 24th place finish.

If the Thrashers were a fan base that can’t support hockey, there are 6 others currently in the NHL that were worse.

I don’t understand why people think the Thrashers were abysmal.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
The Thrashers averaged 24th in attendance which isn’t great but they averaged a 24th place finish.

If the Thrashers were a fan base that can’t support hockey, there are 6 others currently in the NHL that were worse.

I don’t understand why people think the Thrashers were abysmal.
Location. People don't like that hockey is 'down there'.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
As long as OutKast - ATliens is the intro song of the new Atlanta franchise, I'm all for it.
That whole album was my jam when I was in high school. I met the two at the studio and walked out with an autographed poster and a promo copy of the "Elevators" single. Unfortunately, I no longer have the poster.

Right because it worked oh so well before…

:shakehead
Didn't Atlanta already fail twice? Flames, Trashers. Yea let's try this again.

It could've, had Tom Cousins not have to sell the Flames in 1979, and Ted Turner actually cared enough to put people who actually knew what they were doing in charge... and let's not forget the sale to an ownership group who didn't even want the team solely because the son of Ted Turner was a member of the group.

"Hey, uh, *looks at notes* Don? Yeah, Don, okay... I have this franchise. Here's $14 million that the Braves and Hawks didn't use for your payroll, and here's some old plane we found for transporting prisoners from 1969. Good luck!"

Yeah, lemme tell ya. A real recipe for success this was. It's easy to see why the Thrashers didn't succeed when they were never given a chance. There's a reason why people constantly tell others that "with the right ownership, it'll work". Hell, you could resurrect Bill Wirtz and get him to own a team in Atlanta, and it'd *still* fare better than the Thrashers did.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They’re adjusted based on supply/demand. And I’m seeing attendance about 13,100, so there’s roughly 2,000 available
So every ticket people are selling has the exact same price? lol what world are you living in? Stubhub is just people re selling their tickets they aren’t all the same.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad