Another sign of NHL partnership with ESPN

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Have we reached a point where people forget when the NHL was on ESPN and still completely ignored?

They'd have the Cup finals on the Ocho.

NHL on ESPN would be lousy, given how much crap gets shoved onto the ESPN+ tier, but it may beat the "7 or 8 teams exist and screw the rest" format NHL on NBC has where Chicago can be far away from playoff contention and we're stuck with them for 12 games while half the league has 2 games or less on either network.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Have you looked at Netflix's annual programming budget recently? I doubt they will ever carry live sports, but they could afford to if they wanted.

Netflix Spent $12 Billion on Content in 2018. Analysts Expect That to Grow to $15 Billion This Year
Yes, I have seen it. Have you seen how much debt they have? It doesn't make any sense to add to their debt for them to go after live sports. They are optimized to deliver VOD not live events and they would have to show ads too which is against their brand. They are interested in original content.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Sunday- potpourri. Where a lot of their MLS goes, but NBA, college hoops in season, and they won’t air anything against SNF

ESPN2 should in the fall start flexing three top CFB games from conferences they televise from Saturday to Sunday to provide an alternative for people in markets where their NFL team is struggling.

Also, Viacom and CBS just remerged, forming ViacomCBS. The CBS Sports division could want to start producing sports telecasts for networks other than CBS and CBSSN, such as The CW, which is co-owned with WarnerMedia. And it's very possible that because of this, ViacomCBS will pursue at least some of the cable rights to the NHL, with Paramount Network being used as the main outlet for CBS-produced NHL telecasts.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Yes, I have seen it. Have you seen how much debt they have? It doesn't make any sense to add to their debt for them to go after live sports. They are optimized to deliver VOD not live events and they would have to show ads too which is against their brand. They are interested in original content.
It's 2020; financial responsibility is for babies. Issue shares at $350 (closing today was about $371, I'll assume the market retrenches a little more), use the cash to buy up live sports. Something something something something profit.

ESPN2 should in the fall start flexing three top CFB games from conferences they televise from Saturday to Sunday to provide an alternative for people in markets where their NFL team is struggling.
Never happening. I think you underestimate how much big-name universities and their associated towns plan events around Saturday games and how much shifting to a Sunday would screw with things. (Think the Deep South where Sunday is reserved for church and family stuff.)

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Here an Old Sports Business Journal from 2003 during the Dead Puck Era on ESPN ratings:

NHL Viewership On ESPN And ESPN2 Continues Upward Trend

NHL games on ESPN averaged anywhere from 600,000 to 700,000 viewers which NHL would be ecstatic if they could ever pull ratings like that again for regular season games. Which I think they could possibly if there on a bigger/well-known cable channel like TNT or ESPN.

But ESPN2 (which is comparable to NBCSN imo) the ratings were in the 200,000 + which is what games on NBCSN average now. So, basically for NHL to return to ESPN majority of the games have to be on main ESPN or moving to ESPN2 from NBCSN is a lateral move basically.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Here an Old Sports Business Journal from 2003 during the Dead Puck Era on ESPN ratings:

NHL Viewership On ESPN And ESPN2 Continues Upward Trend

NHL games on ESPN averaged anywhere from 600,000 to 700,000 viewers which NHL would be ecstatic if they could ever pull ratings like that again for regular season games. Which I think they could possibly if there on a bigger/well-known cable channel like TNT or ESPN.

But ESPN2 (which is comparable to NBCSN imo) the ratings were in the 200,000 + which is what games on NBCSN average now. So, basically for NHL to return to ESPN majority of the games have to be on main ESPN or moving to ESPN2 from NBCSN is a lateral move basically.

SMH what a difference 17 yrs makes, jeez it's almost been 2 decades ago. Doesn't seem that long ago, but might as well be a ice age ago in regards to the sports media landscape.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
The idea that Stephen A Smith is going to suddenly start talking hockey if ESPN lands the broadcast rights is an absurd take, but considering the source...

At this point, looking at things from afar, it doesn't seem like hockey is really part of ESPN's culture (for lack of a better word). I mean, outside of filling the one or two dedicated token positions ESPN has to handle their limited hockey coverage, no one is going to get hired by ESPN because they have lots of experience covering, and are passionate about, hockey.

If selling a part of the broadcast package to Disney means a game or two a week on ESPN2, where Barry Melrose handles all of the play-by-play, colour, and intermission report, and not much else beyond that, then the NHL gains nothing and should stay away. If it means at least a game a week, in a regular time slot, on the main channel, increased coverage on Sportscenter, and staffing up with a few additional people who can pronounce Anze Kopitar's name, then it starts to make sense for the league.

Last edited:

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
Netflix will only consider live sports if they owned a league. Which means NO

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
The idea that Stephen A Smith is going to suddenly start talking hockey if ESPN lands the broadcast rights is an absurd take, but considering the source...

At this point, looking at things from afar, it doesn't seem like hockey is really part of ESPN's culture (for lack of a better word). I mean, outside of filling the one or two dedicated token positions ESPN has to handle their limited hockey coverage, no one is going to get hired by ESPN because they have lots of experience covering, and are passionate about, hockey.

If selling a part of the broadcast package to Disney means a game or two a week on ESPN2, where Barry Melrose handles all of the play-by-play, colour, and intermission report, and not much else beyond that, then the NHL gains nothing and should stay away. If it means at least a game a week, in a regular time slot, on the main channel, increased coverage on Sportscenter, and staffing up with a few additional people who can pronounce Anze Kopitar's name, then it starts to make sense for the league.

I would think Steve levy would do play by play

Outside of that you are right, hockey is not a ESPN sport. It doesn't drive ratings or national discussion. Their isn't a hockey personality that can be the John Madden or don cherry to generate interest

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Just something to think about, but ESPN is being given important news updates from league sources. Take it with a grain of salt but its evident that they have put more attention on hockey than before.

NHL looking at plans if coronavirus spreads

Kraken? Sockeyes? Sasquatch? Sonics? What Seattle's NHL team should be called

Also, I dont get the argument that ESPN will just toss NHL to the side? NBC does the SAME THING. Why is hockey on the Golf channel?????? Why is horse racing, and an hour after it being shown over PLAYOFF HOCKEY? NBC tosses hockey more than ESPN. At least ESPN covered the trade deadline.

Also viewership will be guaranteed to go up. If we are getting 600k views on ESPN 2 vs 200k on NBCSN, im not good at math but that is a lot more... We need to grow our game? Not fighting for favorites.

And Stanley Cup playoff games will be on ESPN, ABC and TNT, especially in later rounds.

All that aside, whoever will pay more should the carrier of Hockey, or better if its some type of split between networks

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Just something to think about, but ESPN is being given important news updates from league sources. Take it with a grain of salt but its evident that they have put more attention on hockey than before.

Also, I dont get the argument that ESPN will just toss NHL to the side? NBC does the SAME THING. Why is hockey on the Golf channel?????? Why is horse racing, and an hour after it being shown over PLAYOFF HOCKEY? NBC tosses hockey more than ESPN. At least ESPN covered the trade deadline.

Also viewership will be guaranteed to go up. If we are getting 600k views on ESPN 2 vs 200k on NBCSN, im not good at math but that is a lot more... We need to grow our game? Not fighting for favorites.

And Stanley Cup playoff games will be on ESPN, ABC and TNT, especially in later rounds.

All that aside, whoever will pay more should the carrier of Hockey, or better if its some type of split between networks
Also, tell me why 2003 ABC is so much better than 2020 NBC? I joined hockey after Gary Thorne but man is he good.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

As I posted on an previous post, games on ESPN2 back in 03 averaged 200,000+ which is what NBCSN averages now, putting NHL games on ESPN2 isn’t an upgrade over NBCSN imo. If NHL goes back to ESPN, the majority of the games have to be on ESPN (ABC on certain Saturday afternoons) for it to be worth it.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

NBC doesn't have hockey at the bottom of the totem pole, ESPN does. NHL on NBC, purely in terms of how much it is exposed by the network, is behind the NFL and somewhere around the Premier League. It is well above tennis, golf, NASCAR, and the few other sports that NBC carries. ESPN has far and away more sports covered and has the NHL under NFL, NBA, college football, baseball, UFC, and the countless other sports they carry. NBC wears the NHL on their sleeve and does a lot to promote them. ESPN will never do that, their portfolio is too big and too varied to ever give the NHL the publicity that NBC does. NHL on NBC is one of the centerpieces of NBC programming.

Viewership is not guaranteed to go up. No ESPN NHL games are outdoing NBC games for viewership or for ratings.

Those networks already champion the NBA playoffs. Going head to head with them on the same network is a lose lose for everyone involved. NBC Playoffs last year had the most viewed games in the history of the league.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Netflix to spent 15 Billion on movie/TV productions in 2019
NBC paid the NHL what 200 Million per season?
They have a limited pool of money to use unless they raise subscription prices. They would need to change some things for livestreaming and run ads. They've shown no interest in live sports and sports leagues have shown no interest in Netflix. Compare how much NHL Gamecenter costs for a full season compared to a year of Netflix.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

That was one year, and only as a super-overflow channel. NBC has rotated CNBC and USA as the #2 channel for games, with the NHL Network getting the #3 scraps after that since the start of the current contract. In the rare case there are four games in the same time window, where else would you go? Bravo...? Syfy...? E!...?

The Golf Channel is at least a sports-based network. Yes, the optics of it are weird. If Golf Channel wasn't such an established brand, it could easily be re-labeled as NBCSN2 and no one would bat an eyelash. Heck, even if that were to happen, people would suddenly complain that playoff games were on CNBC or USA instead of NBCSN2.

Reactions: oknazevad

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
They have a limited pool of money to use unless they raise subscription prices. They would need to change some things for livestreaming and run ads. They've shown no interest in live sports and sports leagues have shown no interest in Netflix. Compare how much NHL Gamecenter costs for a full season compared to a year of Netflix.

They will tier their pricing..

Streaming services have already dabbled in the NFL. It is the next progression.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

They're also 12 billion in debt, which makes it more unlikely.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
They will tier their pricing..

Streaming services have already dabbled in the NFL. It is the next progression.
I'm aware Twitter and Amazon prime tried non-exclusive rights for NFL Thursday night football for a year each (2016, 2018). They did not renew so I assume they consider it a failure. Amazon throws TNF on Twitch for free now.

So if Netflix (unlike Amazon and Twitter) have a different tier for people only interested in hockey why does the NHL need a middle man? Especially one that sees no potential for their brand in the NHL.

I thought the NHLs investment in BAMtech (now called Disney streaming services) was so they could do it themselves while still getting the TV money.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
They're also 12 billion in debt, which makes it more unlikely.
Debt is irrelevant in financial markets today. Kick the can down the road, hope the day of reckoning never actually comes, rake in money from dumb investors accordingly.

That was one year, and only as a super-overflow channel. NBC has rotated CNBC and USA as the #2 channel for games, with the NHL Network getting the #3 scraps after that since the start of the current contract. In the rare case there are four games in the same time window, where else would you go? Bravo...? Syfy...? E!...?

The Golf Channel is at least a sports-based network. Yes, the optics of it are weird. If Golf Channel wasn't such an established brand, it could easily be re-labeled as NBCSN2 and no one would bat an eyelash. Heck, even if that were to happen, people would suddenly complain that playoff games were on CNBC or USA instead of NBCSN2.
Right, I was simply pointing back to a thread where some of that got discussed.

Reactions: Spydey629

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Debt is irrelevant in financial markets today. Kick the can down the road, hope the day of reckoning never actually comes, rake in money from dumb investors accordingly.

Yeah, it doesn't mean in anyway that Netflix are in trouble. But going into live sports streaming is a bigger financial risk.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The NHL desperately needs ESPN. Get on ESPN and you get the hype machine that comes with it. Just imagine Stephen A. Smith debating the Leafs, Crosby, Ovi, etc. Would be huge for the league. ESPN will make hockey cool again.
Remember when the NHL had access to the ESPiN hype machine and the ratings and popularity were much worse than they are now? Or are we just conveniently forgetting that?

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad