Another sign of NHL partnership with ESPN

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Is this really a partnership with the NHL? Or is it just ESPN picking up programming from a network that they own 20% of? I don’t think the TSN trade deadline shown has or requires any kind of NHL sanction, so I’m not sure the NHL has any part in this deal.

At best, I think it shows an increased interest in the NHL by ESPN.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
ESPN has done this the last few years. It doesn't mean the NHL partnering with ESPN is imminant.

I do wonder why NBCSN doesn't have any trade deadline coverage. I don't know what their schedule is, but it seems like having some coverage should be a must for the network that is home for hockey in America. I know the local My Teams app is doing something but NBCSN should as well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ESPN has done this the last few years. It doesn't mean the NHL partnering with ESPN is imminant.

I do wonder why NBCSN doesn't have any trade deadline coverage. I don't know what their schedule is, but it seems like having some coverage should be a must for the network that is home for hockey in America. I know the local My Teams app is doing something but NBCSN should as well.

NBCSN has NEVER shown any interest in Trade Deadline Day - NHL Network will carry Sportsnet

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
They still won't talk about it.
This was several years ago, but I got the chance to talk to Linda Cohn about ESPN and the NHL. Her exact words: "They HATE hockey."

There is no reason to think that the NHL would get any kind of a bump from being on ESPN. Games would be kicked to ESPN2 at best, with a heavier presence on ESPN+. If the league is going to add a second TV partner (and I think it's coming) I would rather see Fox get a second chance. Fox and FS1 have more capacity to take on games, with the chance (even slim) to have Thursday games on the broadcast network after football season.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
NBCSN has NEVER shown any interest in Trade Deadline Day - NHL Network will carry Sportsnet

And much like not showing the Draft a few years ago until they decided to actually do Draft coverage, that seems to be an issue, especially since NHL Network is hard to get unless you have the right provider, and considering more people are cord cutting, it's nearly impossible unless you had Sling TV.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The NHL desperately needs ESPN. Get on ESPN and you get the hype machine that comes with it. Just imagine Stephen A. Smith debating the Leafs, Crosby, Ovi, etc. Would be huge for the league. ESPN will make hockey cool again.
They still won't talk about it.
This.

Why would NHL go back with ESPN who doesn't really give a rip about it. They'll treat it as a 2nd fiddle and have everything else be higher priority over it.
Agreed. I've said it umpteen times, I'll say it yet again: the only reason ESPN wants the NHL is that so no one else has it. Yes, it's seriously that simple.

ESPN wants to be the one-stop shop for all things sports. That's why it's thrown shitloads of money at the NBA, NFL, MLB and college sports (including every single freaking bowl game it can get its hands on and the CFP). Anything semi-major on any other network is eyeballs not staring at ESPN where it can't bombard people with 21-22/7 of ads and coverage of all of that stuff. Everyone thinking the NHL is suddenly going to get elevated to the main network is going to be shocked when it's stuck on ESPN2 for everything including much of the playoffs. Perhaps the Finals would land on the main network, but that's only if the NBA isn't playing a game at the same time. (I have my doubts you'll see anything before Game 4 on the main network, and you'll probably see NHL scheduling have to fit gaps in the NBA schedule.)

Folks, ESPN is throwing so much more money at everything else, all that stuff has to get more coverage to have a shot of recouping those dollars. The NHL isn't getting the same kind of dollars. You may not like that NBCSN doesn't cover the NHL more extensively, but it certainly gives a shit a whole lot more than ESPN. If you need yet another annual reminder, watch how ESPN covers the NHL when the playoffs come around. It's a 3-minute blurb on Sportscenter, if that.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

Which is why I believe NBC is not getting exclusive rights in the next TV deal. In my opinion, NBC’s coverage and promotion of the NHL has gotten very stale and lazy over the past few years. I think FOX or ESPN getting the split rights might force them to up their coverage a bit. Probably not, but definitely don’t want another exclusive NBC TV deal.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Which is why I believe NBC is not getting exclusive rights in the next TV deal. In my opinion, NBC’s coverage and promotion of the NHL has gotten very stale and lazy over the past few years. I think FOX or ESPN getting the split rights might force them to up their coverage a bit. Probably not, but definitely don’t want another exclusive NBC TV deal.

The trade deadline has been on NHL Network for years and they pick up Sportnet.

The NHL does not subscribe to Neilsen and even they don't know how many viewers they have. That explains why their commercials are brutal to watch.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I know this is a joke but I'd f*cking love this.

It would be such a f*ck you to ESPN for not caring about hockey while simultaneously being a tremendous, progressive choice. Any NHL partner that allows me to continue ignoring cable would be unreal.
I'd watch The Circle but it's Daniel Sedin catfishing as Henrik Sedin

sctvman

When you look at ESPN’s schedule, where would they find the time to put games on the main network?

Monday- MNF till Christmas, then bowl games, CFB national championship, and Big Monday (long-standing ACC and Big XII games).
Tuesday- Pre-November, maybe. December too. But usually college basketball.
Wednesday- NBA DH on ESPN, college hoops on other nets
Thursday- maybe a chance. But CFB through November, and they are turning it into their women’s college hoops night. Some men’s games too
Friday- NBA DH. College football games in fall.
Saturday- basically taken all day with college football or college basketball, plus UFC or boxing cards they air.
Sunday- potpourri. Where a lot of their MLS goes, but NBA, college hoops in season, and they won’t air anything against SNF

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
When you look at ESPN’s schedule, where would they find the time to put games on the main network?

Monday- MNF till Christmas, then bowl games, CFB national championship, and Big Monday (long-standing ACC and Big XII games).
Tuesday- Pre-November, maybe. December too. But usually college basketball.
Wednesday- NBA DH on ESPN, college hoops on other nets
Thursday- maybe a chance. But CFB through November, and they are turning it into their women’s college hoops night. Some men’s games too
Friday- NBA DH. College football games in fall.
Saturday- basically taken all day with college football or college basketball, plus UFC or boxing cards they air.
Sunday- potpourri. Where a lot of their MLS goes, but NBA, college hoops in season, and they won’t air anything against SNF

Biggest reason why I don’t see NHL returning to ESPN. Bettman is going to want most of the games on ESPN (and possible ABC) and just don’t see what night ESPN could fit them in. ESPN2 would make the NHL look more like second tier sport in the eyes of others.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
How many of you were around when ESPN had the NHL? Do any of you remember how it was treated back then? It was a kick in the balls to anyone who liked hockey. Why would their attitude towards the sport change? NHL should do everything in its power to avoid being on ESPN.

I can’t speak for pre-2002, I was young but it was clear once ESPN got the TV rights away from NBC on the NBA, NHL was seen as very inferior compared to it. As long as NBA is still on ESPN, I see no reason to go back unless they secure a night on main ESPN (and possible include Saturday afternoon days on ABC) during the season.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I believe ESPN has simulcast the Last hour of the TSN deadline show every year since acquiring the digital rights for the league (via mlb).

it is cheap (free!) filler programming that promotes their product (espn+ and nhl.tv).

I don’t think it is a sign of anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad