Another semi-pro league coming?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The first seven (at least) presumed team locations reveal that either: (a) those cities are simply places that the organization (?) has identified to set up recruiting hubs for tryouts; or (b) the organizing (?) staff (?) started spring break early when their 4th grade (?) Geography class covered what "North Eastern" meant in the U.S..
Dyer, Indiana is in The Region, which means they'll just call the team Chicago.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Agree I hope the league is good and doesn’t end up like pbla plays a month and than suspend the season and or fold
There's hoping it'll be good and Ratitude outright saying it's going to be "great."

I'd love to see this be successful. I think pretty much everyone of us except Eddie would love to see more opportunities for players but there's one announced team (that I've seen. I may be wrong). It's almost May. If you're going to be in already saturated markets, you need sufficient run up time if you want to survive. Even if you start in November, I'd say six months isn't enough time to get a 20 team up and running.

Also, how can you say this league will be great when they literally said they'd have teams skating in April and playing exhibitions in May. That's the last post on their Facebook and it's from 2.5 months ago.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
So it appears that the fledgling NEHL still claims to be moving forward with an inaugural season this fall. And also has rebranded as the Union Hockey League already?

The Union Hockey League is proud to formally announce the league and its format for its inaugural season.

8 Teams will take the ice this season.

• Midwest Mammoths (Dyer, Indiana)
  • Motor City Apollos (Chelsea, Michigan)
  • Pittsburgh River Monsters (Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania)
  • Niagara Falls Buffalos (Niagara Falls, New York)
  • Poughkeepsie Polar Bears (Poughkeepsie, New York)
  • Holyoke Royals (Holyoke, Massachusetts)
  • North Shore Nighthawks (Middleton, Massachusetts)
  • Boston Gold Kings (Watertown, Massachusetts)
Each team will be playing a 32-game season, with 2 tournaments against other senior leagues in the works to bring the season total up to 40. Teams will play 6 preseason games, beginning September 23rd and will officially drop the puck on the Regular Season the weekend of November 4th.

There are spots open on each team to tryout, with each team hosting tryouts the weekend of September 16th.
Link: News: Welcome to the Union Hockey League - UnionHockeyLeague

So the list of teams is obviously a lot smaller than initially proposed, but still consistent with the rinks they had previously indicated. That footprint, however, is going to be challenging to say the least.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
So it appears that the fledgling NEHL still claims to be moving forward with an inaugural season this fall. And also has rebranded as the Union Hockey League already?

Link: News: Welcome to the Union Hockey League - UnionHockeyLeague

So the list of teams is obviously a lot smaller than initially proposed, but still consistent with the rinks they had previously indicated. That footprint, however, is going to be challenging to say the least.
Six preseason games over six weeks?

• Wow
Reactions: Roadhog

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Six preseason games over six weeks?

Yes, once again, you're forgetting the Single-A hockey success plan!

Phase 1: Six weeks of preseason games!
Phase 2: ????
Phase 3: Profit!

Also, if you click through to the tryout camp information, it has the NEHL logo...

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Well, their COUNTDOWN TO OPENING NIGHT is still ticking away. That's gotta be good news, right? :m-eek:

There is a team nearby where I live and several men's league level players I have become friends with have given me updates.

There is no information on just about anything. They pushed back the tryout date, which is +$200 for two hours of ice. There were no coaches or general managers in charge before tryouts. Zero responses to any attempt to contact. They only just added a logo, so at their rate of improvement they should be ready in time for the start of the season :help:

Reactions: Atlantian

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I have an update.

All teams are owned by some rich person in the Midwest. He has different team presidents and coaches operate the individual teams with a great deal of anonymity. Players pay some $150 fee and in exchange receive helmet, gloves, stuff like that. They also receive a percentage of all ticket sales and sponsorships.

The Union Hockey League team local to me has less than 15 players signed and all of the players are of mid-level beer league quality in a cold weather region. They claim to have over 100 season tickets sold per their team president, head coach, and players who have already signed.

The deal is this: practice once per week, one game per weekend. Rinks with the cheapest ice possible.

Pittsburgh and Niagara played an exhibition game. One-sided game in front of what looked to be about 150-250 people ended with a brawl, a player in the hospital, and both teams being charged $500 for breaking league rules.

My bet is the league doesn't make it past year one. Especially with the travel in the West Division and the oversaturation of hockey viewing options in the East Division. Within one hour of the UHL team nearest me are two AHL teams, an ECHL team, three NCAA DI teams, and five NCAA DIII teams. No idea how the teams are going to make money and trying to get a rich guy a tax break isn't indefinite.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I have an update.

All teams are owned by some rich person in the Midwest. He has different team presidents and coaches operate the individual teams with a great deal of anonymity. Players pay some $150 fee and in exchange receive helmet, gloves, stuff like that. They also receive a percentage of all ticket sales and sponsorships.

The Union Hockey League team local to me has less than 15 players signed and all of the players are of mid-level beer league quality in a cold weather region. They claim to have over 100 season tickets sold per their team president, head coach, and players who have already signed.

The deal is this: practice once per week, one game per weekend. Rinks with the cheapest ice possible.

Pittsburgh and Niagara played an exhibition game. One-sided game in front of what looked to be about 150-250 people ended with a brawl, a player in the hospital, and both teams being charged $500 for breaking league rules.

My bet is the league doesn't make it past year one. Especially with the travel in the West Division and the oversaturation of hockey viewing options in the East Division. Within one hour of the UHL team nearest me are two AHL teams, an ECHL team, three NCAA DI teams, and five NCAA DIII teams. No idea how the teams are going to make money and trying to get a rich guy a tax break isn't indefinite.

My bet is that this league doesn't make it to the end of year one.

Hopefully the player that went to the hospital isn't on the hook for his medical care, being that he was "under contract" to "play professional hockey," but I highly doubt that the team will cover his medical expenses.

The pie-in-the-sky expansionist sheep will again be bleating about how "WE NEEEEEEEEED SINGLE-A HOCKEY" when this league finally meets its merciful end.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Pay-to-play pro hockey.

And this is my one hand clapping.
It's the natural evolution of the pay-to-play scam.

First, they've expanded travel hockey to have five levels of play at each age group starting with U10.

Then, they've held more and more "showcases" for kids in the middle levels who are trying to "get exposure" to "advance their careers" and "play at the next level."

Next, they added more and more pay-to-play junior hockey teams and leagues to collect money from gullible parents who don't understand that just because Johnny's been playing since age seven doesn't mean that he is good enough to play real college hockey.

But since he isn't good enough to play real college hockey, Little Johnny, who's such a good hockey player and oh so special (even though he has feet for hands and can't crossover backwards in both directions), will burn more of his parents' money to pay to play club hockey.

And then, Johnny graduates, and off he goes to the Union Hockey League, paying more money to "play pro hockey!"

Johnny still can't cross over backwards in both directions, catch a pass on his backhand side, or keep the puck in the zone at the blue line, but he's got a place to play!

This is what happens when the sport becomes all about how much money mommy and daddy have and not about skill. It's not like that at every level, but it sure is when you plumb the depths of youth travel/junior/club hockey, and now Single-A too, it would seem.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
I have an update.

So it’s a dumpster fire

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So, it's been a while since this league got talked about, and, uh...

Let's talk about it.

For starters, things got mixed up.

Like, where did all these teams show up? Where's the Midwest Mammoth? Why does the Toledo Mobsters look like he's part of the Velvet Mafia? You got a team called the "Norfolk Mallards" based out of Canton, Massachusetts? Why are there teams listed with zero players?

Allegedly, games were played... I guess.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Let's talk about it.

Like, where did all these teams show up? If you build an aboutism league on "We believe" and "sponsors (who) should see massive amounts of advertising clout" and "a 'pro' style hockey experience", they will come. Where's the Midwest Mammoth? Anywhere you're willing to fund & recruit & ice a team. Doesn't even necessarily have to be in the Midwest. But if you want to be team captain/head coach/GM/majority owner, I recommend you find a rink within driving distance of your doublewide or your uncle's basement. Why does the Toledo Mobsters look like he's part of the Velvet Mafia? I'm partial to the Sun Prairie Killer Bees logo. Looks like an angry ant devoured a honey bee. You got a team called the "Norfolk Mallards" based out of Canton, Massachusetts? It's called "regionalism". But I've got a dose of realism for this one: Canton, MA is in Norfolk County. Why are there teams listed with zero players? Be grateful there's even a league website to entertain you.

I'm in!

Last edited:

Tilden Katz

Average PDOcast Listener
Dec 18, 2018
Regina, SK

Let's talk about it.

Like, where did all these teams show up? Where's the Midwest Mammoth? Why does the Toledo Mobsters look like he's part of the Velvet Mafia? You got a team called the "Norfolk Mallards" based out of Canton, Massachusetts? Why are there teams listed with zero players?

The Niagara Falls team's president is named "Bill Killer".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad