Another problem with NHL not participating in Olympics

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
They can make it so the Olympics are back to being amateurs only, as penance for the NHL skipping out in '18. Fasel already said the NHL can't pick and choose which OG they are going to attend.

As well as this, anti-doping guys are now saying good riddance, because of NHL having different rules than other sports. I'd sort of expect the IOC to force their doping rules 4 years from now. Tit for tat.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The NHL will most likely be in China for the '22 Olympics. Delaying your NHL development/career by potentially 2 years makes no sense. This is most likely an idle threat.

Also, provide a source.

:laugh:

Oh my, my NHL development/career, oh my! They are better off staying at home anyway, for their develpment. Even regardless of the decision by the B*ttman league.

It makes very much sense for those players to participate in the Olympics next year. This is no threat at all, just common sense.

And my opinion is just thesame. Players like Kaprizov will stay at home now. Pretty sure thing.

Alsom why should he provide a surce for his own thoughts? Very reasonable thoughts too.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I was just thinking about this. Hurts the Bolts.

Stamkos, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Stralman, Palat all sure shot olympians that should be pissed by the decision. It hurts the Bolts in many ways.

The owners are just blinded by their greed. To stay with the Bolts, do an owner realize hom many time the words "Tampa Bay Lightning" will come out of a TV during the tournament while those players play? If you own a Pizza Whatever you pay for it.Why shouldn't the owners "pay" in some insured risks?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Stamkos, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Stralman, Palat all sure shot olympians that should be pissed by the decision. It hurts the Bolts in many ways.

The owners are just blinded by their greed. To stay with the Bolts, do an owner realize hom many time the words "Tampa Bay Lightning" will come out of a TV during the tournament while those players play? If you own a Pizza Whatever you pay for it.Why shouldn't the owners "pay" in some insured risks?

Except the IOC won't let the NHL use Olympic footage in their advertising. That would be even better than simply mentioning the TBL during the Olympics as an advertisement for future events. But, I guess the IOC is just too "blinded by their greed" to allow anyone to share in their profits.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Except the IOC won't let the NHL use Olympic footage in their advertising. That would be even better than simply mentioning the TBL during the Olympics as an advertisement for future events. But, I guess the IOC is just too "blinded by their greed" to allow anyone to share in their profits.

All you care about is profits. Guess you are form NA, right?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I'm pretty sure that anyone can google Victor Hedman and find out he plays for the Tampa Bay Lightning in the NHL. The idea that no one would possibly know that these are NHL players and what teams they play for without a graphic on the screen telling them is pretty silly. The players simply being on the ice is advertising the NHL.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Dang the bolts would be sick with another first overall pick with that team coming back

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
They can make it so the Olympics are back to being amateurs only, as penance for the NHL skipping out in '18. Fasel already said the NHL can't pick and choose which OG they are going to attend.

The IOC can make whatever stipulations they want as it relates to the integrity of the Olympic games (it's hard to say that with a straight face because of how corrupt the IOC is but technically that is what they're supposed to do) but Fasel's comments are crossing the line of IOC jurisdiction. The NHL can do what they want with their league, whenever they want. If they decide to shut down their league for two weeks in February 2018, will the IOC ban the NHL from assembling Olympic rosters? Of course not, because it isn't the NHL that is assembling Olympic rosters. It isn't the NHL that is officially represented at the Olympics. The only thing the NHL does is facilitate the ability for nations to select NHL players to compete for the national team (and the NHL accommodates this by halting their season so that there are no impacts to regular season play in the absence of many of the league's top stars). So if the NHL decides to halt their season in 2018, when team Russia runs to Ovechkin and team Canada runs to Crosby, is the IOC going to tell the NHL no? Of course not. They will have to tell the national teams that those players aren't eligible to play. The NHL has no say who plays at the Olympics so in essence, the NHL can very well decide when they are open to scheduling their season around the Olympics and when they are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad