Post-Game Talk: Another one BITES the dust! Bolts falls to Canadiens

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's simple...either you commit to winning or you commit to building. Anywhere in between is probably the dumbest place to be, which is where we are right now.

With Carey Price and PK Subban as cornerstones we should be making moves to WIN NOW. But MB hasn't done anything. Even with Price hurt if he had filled the holes in the top 6 then we would be better off than we are now.

Without Price we're not going anywhere we all know this - at least I hope we all do. But our GM never makes a significant move to better our club NOW. Finishing with a 25+ pick in the first round doesn't really help the cause...we should be looking to fill the holes in our lineup now when Price and PK are in their prime so we could take a real run at the cup.

Either commit to making a run or commit to building/developing younger players. It's that simple.

We're stuck in no man's land.

QFT. I'm so torn right now. Either we go all in or not. Problem is that without knowing where we are with Price, we can't or shouldn't go all in, but if Scrivens decides to be selfish and continue increasing his save %, we're going to end up being in this weird spot.

I am joking about the selfish part... I am happy for the guy and he's been giving the goaltending we've needed. That said, Condon also had moments of greatness during this slide but had no run support.

That said, as great as 27-14-11 are running, watching DD blow that setup by Patches in the 3rd period reminded me of our problems.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
watching DD blow that setup by Patches in the 3rd period reminded me of our problems.

That was brutal. Did not watch the replay but it looked like a tape to tape pass to me. At this level you need to at the very least force the goalie to make a big save on that.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
That was brutal. Did not watch the replay but it looked like a tape to tape pass to me. At this level you need to at the very least force the goalie to make a big save on that.

I didn't watch the replay also, but initially I thought maybe he got poke checked, but no, he just missed it. That, or maybe DD is doing his job (tanking) but the rest of the team elected not to.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
I must say, wins are much better than the last 2 ****** months of losses. I don't know what this team should do but I can't cheer for losses.

The thing is, if they fired Therrien that would give a boost to the players and would surely result in more wins. So did MB not fire him expecting to lose more for the tank, or did he really think they would pull it through till Price gets back? It is frigging hard to purposely tank, you can't make players play to lose. So if you want Therrien fired you are anti tank... I think he should be fired in the offseason regardless of how they finish except maybe winning a playoff round or 2.

I would give Bergie one more off-season/season to turn it around, I could not handle another year like this.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
QFT. I'm so torn right now. Either we go all in or not. Problem is that without knowing where we are with Price, we can't or shouldn't go all in, but if Scrivens decides to be selfish and continue increasing his save %, we're going to end up being in this weird spot.

I am joking about the selfish part... I am happy for the guy and he's been giving the goaltending we've needed. That said, Condon also had moments of greatness during this slide but had no run support.

That said, as great as 27-14-11 are running, watching DD blow that setup by Patches in the 3rd period reminded me of our problems.

MB missed his chance to make this team better in the off-season...if he did is job properly then our top 6 would be solid and we would have less of a need to rely on stellar goaltending to save us.

Without Price we're going nowhere this year, but when Price went down and it was apparent that he was going to be down for a serious stretch of time once again his inactivity has cost us. Ben Scrivens isn't the answer.

So as MB said it's on him. Let's just all cross our fingers that our scouts can find a good pick at 13.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If we somehow make the playoffs, it has to be Eller in the top-6 over DD. I assume MT will give him a free ride all regular season but you actually need to play good players in the playoffs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I must say, wins are much better than the last 2 ****** months of losses. I don't know what this team should do but I can't cheer for losses.

The thing is, if they fired Therrien that would give a boost to the players and would surely result in more wins. So did MB not fire him expecting to lose more for the tank, or did he really think they would pull it through till Price gets back? It is frigging hard to purposely tank, you can't make players play to lose. So if you want Therrien fired you are anti tank... I think he should be fired in the offseason regardless of how they finish except maybe winning a playoff round or 2.

I would give Bergie one more off-season/season to turn it around, I could not handle another year like this.

The team just spent two months shagging the dog.
It is very easy not to give a second effort which will lose most games in today's NHL.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
If we somehow make the playoffs, it has to be Eller in the top-6 over DD. I assume MT will give him a free ride all regular season but you actually need to play good players in the playoffs

He "trusts" Desharnais and thinks DD is "responsible" Top line in da playoffs? To him, the answer is "of course".

Last edited:

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
I don't understand.
I get that getting Mathews would be preferable than getting knocked out in the first-round, but let's be honest, we're not finishing in the bottom 3. Is the difference between getting the 7th pick or the 14th pick franchise changing?
I'd rather take the 1/4 chance of making the playoffs and maybe having CP healthy, in which all bets are off (let's not for get that from October 1, 2014-Dec 1, 2015 we had the best regular season record).
What kind of fans hope their team will lose?
It's not far from looking at the league at the beginning of the season this year and saying "We can't possibly beat the Hawks, so let's start the tank now".
Pathetic.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
The team just spent two months shagging the dog.
It is very easy not to give a second effort which will lose most games in today's NHL.

So is it the players, the coach, both?(I think it's the coach) All I am saying is if people want the team to tank they shouldn't do anything.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I don't understand.
I get that getting Mathews would be preferable than getting knocked out in the first-round, but let's be honest, we're not finishing in the bottom 3. Is the difference between getting the 7th pick or the 14th pick franchise changing?
I'd rather take the 1/4 chance of making the playoffs and maybe having CP healthy, in which all bets are off (let's not for get that from October 1, 2014-Dec 1, 2015 we had the best regular season record).
What kind of fans hope their team will lose?
It's not far from looking at the league at the beginning of the season this year and saying "We can't possibly beat the Hawks, so let's start the tank now".
Pathetic.

The difference between 7 and 14 is quite a bit, but not the end of the world. At 7 you could get Juolevi (franchise D), Chychrun (#1-2 D man), Dubois (big 1-2C), maybe even Alex Nylander if he drops (#1W that can play both sides).

Where as at 14 you're looking at guys that could be just as good or better, but will take longer to develop. To develop in a franchise that doesn't develop squat.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
The difference between 7 and 14 is quite a bit, but not the end of the world. At 7 you could get Juolevi (franchise D), Chychrun (#1-2 D man), Dubois (big 1-2C), maybe even Alex Nylander if he drops (#1W that can play both sides).

Where as at 14 you're looking at guys that could be just as good or better, but will take longer to develop. To develop in a franchise that doesn't develop squat.

How does the lottery work this year? Isn't there a slight chance just missing could get 1st overall?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
How does the lottery work this year? Isn't there a slight chance just missing could get 1st overall?

They are doing a separate lottery for the top 3 picks. So, every team not in the playoffs has a chance of getting the #1 pick - they do the lottery and decide who gets it. Then that team is out of the mix, and they do a new draw for the #2 pick, and then for #3.

So essentially, you have 3 chances to win the lottery but the odds are low if you're higher. But they do get a little bit better after the first pick is drawn, and then the 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad