Blue Jays Discussion: Another offseason comes to an end, still no pitchers (First ST game on Wednesday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Gose because he can play CF.

We could see both since Sierra played a bit a of 1st base this off-season and has no options left. Assuming we go with an 8-man pen again, I would guess our bench would consist of Thole/Kratz, Izturis/Goins, Sierra, Gose with the current group of players. Or we could see Gose at AAA again with a AAAA infielder at the end of our bench, although I think we'll see the former.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Sierra has the better bat, Gose is better defensively although I wouldn't consider him a great decision maker out there. I take Gose purely for the range and speed on the base paths. Losing Davis and Boni (although he was rarely on base) hurt the team speed big time. At a minimum Gose would be a very useful pinch runner when not in the line up.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Sierra has the better bat, Gose is better defensively although I wouldn't consider him a great decision maker out there. I take Gose purely for the range and speed on the base paths. Losing Davis and Boni (although he was rarely on base) hurt the team speed big time. At a minimum Gose would be a very useful pinch runner when not in the line up.

This. Gose at this point is basically Rajai Davis with a slightly worse bat and better tracking ability and arm, so it would make sense to keep that element on our bench if you don't think he can somehow make improvements at AAA.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I remember when I used to never miss a Jays game on TV and would try and get to as many as I could. Now, I won't even go when we have events at work in the box with free food. I am tempted for the free food but then I realize its really not worth the trip from Scarborough. All I can say is at least I was alive and in my best years when they won back to back. Sorry for those who can't remember it or weren't alive because I don't believe we will ever see that again.. Stupid rules and stupid people have ruined this organization.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I remember when I used to never miss a Jays game on TV and would try and get to as many as I could. Now, I won't even go when we have events at work in the box with free food. I am tempted for the free food but then I realize its really not worth the trip from Scarborough. All I can say is at least I was alive and in my best years when they won back to back. Sorry for those who can't remember it or weren't alive because I don't believe we will ever see that again.. Stupid rules and stupid people have ruined this organization.

So basically you're a fair weather fan?

I can say for myself, I'm not usually affected by the success of the team. I love baseball and the jays are my team. Through the course of the year I'll see at least part of nearly every game. I'd estimate I probably saw parts of 150 games last year, maybe 100 of them in full.

The amount of games I actually go to does change, if they're playing well I'll go watch maybe 15 games in person and if not somewhere between 5-10. If I was given free tickets/food I would not turn it down.

Definitely my level of enjoyment/excitement is influenced whether or not they are playing well, but my interest doesn't change.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
BhRekQ4CYAAtlhC.jpg

mikebel111*

I\d like to see Gose in AAA so he can work on his hitting.

He showed improvement in his latest stint in the big club.

And yeah agreed with many of the comments. I think gose gets it because of his elite speed and defense in the outfield.
But sierra with no options is interesting though. Will see what happens.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Kawasaki could always be kept as a pinch runner. He's at very least faster than Izturis who would be the other option. That still leaves Rasmus as the only center fielder on the roster though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This. Gose at this point is basically Rajai Davis with a slightly worse bat and better tracking ability and arm, so it would make sense to keep that element on our bench if you don't think he can somehow make improvements at AAA.

Gose won't learn anything on the bench. He needs AB's at this point in his career. Keep him in the minors until injuries occur in the outfield.

Bluejaysfan*

If Lind could not suck vs left handed pitchers for once, we could have a deadly offense,especially if we got the silver slugger Lind. I think he has a good season so he can earn a nice contract.

Reyes
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lind
Cabrera

Hot damn!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If Lind could not suck vs left handed pitchers for once, we could have a deadly offense,especially if we got the silver slugger Lind. I think he has a good season so he can earn a nice contract.

Reyes
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lind
Cabrera

Hot damn!

Safe to say that Lind stinking against lefties is about a sure thing as the sun rising tomorrow. He's a platoon guy, there's just no way to argue it. A .924 OPS vs righties...this guy should never face a lefty ever again(.573). Typically it's not difficult to find a right handed platoon bat. Fingers crossed.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
We could see both since Sierra played a bit a of 1st base this off-season and has no options left. Assuming we go with an 8-man pen again, I would guess our bench would consist of Thole/Kratz, Izturis/Goins, Sierra, Gose with the current group of players. Or we could see Gose at AAA again with a AAAA infielder at the end of our bench, although I think we'll see the former.

If there's an 8 man pen, it's a 3 man bench, so your scenario doesn't work.

I don't see them keeping 2 OFs on the bench.

They need someone there to backup at 3B

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009

Reyes
Lawrie
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lind
Cabrera

Hot damn!

Is it guaranteed that Lawrie is batting 2nd? Gibbons seemed to like having 2 switch hitters at the top of the order last year

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Is it guaranteed that Lawrie is batting 2nd? Gibbons seemed to like having 2 switch hitters at the top of the order last year

I'd say it's a lock IMO.

Last year Lawrie was hurt in pre-season and was behind the eight ball for more then half the season.

If Reyes stays healthy all year, I like our chances. We have 2 players that can easily be in the running for MVP. Jose and Reyes.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say it's a lock IMO.

Last year Lawrie was hurt in pre-season and was behind the eight ball for more then half the season.

If Reyes stays healthy all year, I like our chances. We have 2 players that can easily be in the running for MVP. Jose and Reyes.

No question we'll be able to score runs, and with Reyes and Melky healthy plus Goins and Navarro our defense will be better then last year.

The question is will we be able to out score our rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad