Blue Jays Discussion: Another offseason comes to an end, still no pitchers (First ST game on Wednesday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Training Pitching Updates:

Barry Davis ‏@SNBarryDavis
Here are the #bluejays starters for first 5 spring games. Happ, Dickey,Buehrle,Hutchison, Rogers.

Also going Wed: Redmond, Drabek, Jenkins, Wagner and Storey. Thurs: Rogers, McGowan, Cecil, Loup, Jeffress.

Morrow will piggyback with Buehrle Friday.

mikebel111*

Who do you guys think will get the 4th OF job?
Gose or sierra.
I know depends on who impresses more, but who do you guys lands the job?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
No talk of Boras ripping the club?

I never thought I'd like Scott Boras, but here we are.

Quite frankly, his criticism reeks of self-interest.

He has clients available that haven't signed yet and the Jays are one of the few teams that wouldn't have to surrender a first round pick to sign one of his guys. Yet, they're not falling all over themselves to give millions to these guys. Are they cheap? Or are they being smart?

Frankly, Morales and Drew don't offer up enough bang for the Jays buck to warrant big bank busting contracts. I don't see either as a difference maker for this team as it is presently constructed. Are they nice players to have? Sure. Would they help? Definitely. But neither of them is going to transform the Jays from a maybe-contender to a sure thing.

I've been as critical as anybody of the Jays this off season. And, yes, I believe the ownership should be spending more - considering the new national TV deal and the huge increase in attendance and revenue the team realized last year. However, I have no problem with the team saying: "We're not giving X player a boatload of money simply because he's available."

There is also something perverse in the way he is accusing the ownership of being cheap. I don't know if Jimenez and Santana are his clients, but it has become generally know that the Jays were willing to pay either of them $27-30 million over three years. That may not be the "market" rate, but it's hardly anything to sneer at. It's not like the Jays have spent the winter offering big free agents one-year contracts for the major league minimum.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Gose or sierra.

Gose ... I like his utility and ability to play all over the outfield, plus his speed is an asset to have off the bench and towards the bottom of the batting order

No doubt Sierra has the better, more consistent bat though

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
I think they break camp with Sierra, unless Gose has a monster TC. It can't hurt to have Gose bat leadoff at AAA for a month or two and to really see if the adjustments he's made to his swing and approach are working out. I still believe that this kid has the potential to be a solid starter in the Bigs, but he's absolutely got to figure things out with the stick. He might be a Goins 2.0 (with great defense at a premium position, and very little offense to speak of) and I feel that our line-up can carry one of those players, but not two.

In an ideal world, both Sierra and Gose tear the cover off the ball in spring training, and end up playing important roles for us this year. Sierra as a platoon partner for Lind at DH, Pinch-hitter, and occasional OF/1B. Gose would serve as the 4th outfielder, pinch-runner, and defensive replacement late in games for Melky (if needed).

There's a lot of value in having each guy - if they are performing - so it will be interesting to see how things play out!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Gose or sierra.

If Gose has options left than Sierra. I think they'll keep the bench not at it's best to start the season in an effort not to lose players to waivers. Maybe build up a little market for him and a reliever or two for some prospects.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
No talk of Boras ripping the club?

I never thought I'd like Scott Boras, but here we are.

There was yesterday I believe. Anyway, it's a non issue of an idiot agent trying to force the hand of the Jays to sign his remaining free agent pitcher. Santana is likely going to wait out the June draft to sign so the comp pick is removed. I could care less what Boras has to say about anything. His greed for top dollar contracts is biting him in the ass the year. Unless you've got a top free agent you can't expect the stupid **** that was rumoured at the start of the year and all these guys are learning that lesson.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
has anyone heard anything in regards to what Roy is doing with the team during Spring? I haven't been able to find anything. Not sure if he's even there helping out yet.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
has anyone heard anything in regards to what Roy is doing with the team during Spring? I haven't been able to find anything. Not sure if he's even there helping out yet.

Haven't heard anything. I would think he'll be cruising beaches, hanging with the family for a few months before he decides to do anything.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Haven't heard anything. I would think he'll be cruising beaches, hanging with the family for a few months before he decides to do anything.

For some reason I thought his plan was to be at spring training because he lives very close by.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan

Last I heard Roy was going to be helping out at Phillies camp. 99% sure I read that on twitter a month or so back. Kinda sucks since we asked him first. I'm pretty sure he lives something like walking distance from their facilities.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
For some reason I thought his plan was to be at spring training because he lives very close by.

I got that same sense, but I didn't get the feeling that it would be right away. Thought process something along the lines of, "I'd like to help somehow, at some point".

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Last I heard Roy was going to be helping out at Phillies camp. 99% sure I read that on twitter a month or so back. Kinda sucks since we asked him first. I'm pretty sure he lives something like walking distance from their facilities.

Yeah he's working with the Phillies. I could have sworn I saw an article on SN the other day about it but I can't find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad