Post-Game Talk: Another embarrassing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
We have 9 million in wasted cap right now... what cap problems? We didn't have to sign Reaves, Klingberg, and Samsanov...

Our defense wasn't so bad last year, not sure if Holl moved the needle that much or it was the fact we let a bunch of defensive forwards walk for guys who don't know their own end.

What assets were wasted on D? I'm fine with the Muzzin and McCabe trade.

He was not perfect, but it is mindboggling how he is getting blamed for the current issues defensively.
Its mind-boggling that Dubas is blamed for constructing a defense core that is bad and filling the pipeline with no adequate defensive replacements or picks to work with beyond this season? LOL

.... Did we add any of them? A third line C who looks to need defensive sheltering?
Bert and Domi fill two big holes for me. The two mistakes he made can be easily buried so I'm less concerned about them. Obviously Tre can and should be expected to do better, but we can criticize two people at once...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Its mind-boggling that Dubas is blamed for constructing a defense core that is bad and filling the pipeline with no adequate defensive replacements or picks to work with beyond this season? LOL

I just hope people become aware that assets include prospects as well, use those instead of picks if you want.

The D was not bad last year... was Holl that good?

We replaced a lot of good defensive forwards with bad ones, surely this wouldn't make our defensive play suffer, now would it?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Fair question. I would also say that Tre had a pretty good idea of what he had but other than trading Marner as his first order of business, what can he do really? Nylander as a rental has limited value, JT has the NMC, extending Matthews had to be done and he did it ...

He's in a pretty tough spot IMO. Sure you could say he has all this talent to work with but this box of cupcakes has shown that when the going gets tough, they go home so getting them over the top seems like the impossible dream at this point. But at the same time, all that talent you figure has a punchers chance always so hard to say tear it down either. And even if you wanted to tear it down, there are all those NMC's in the way. That's why I predict he'll keep doing what Dubas did, build around the core the best he can and hope for the best. So the tear down probably won't happen for another 5 years or so when the cupboards are empty and the future is so bleak, the stars will be begging to be traded.
he could have not spent 15m on klingberg, reeves, kampf, samsonov, domi

I just hope people become aware that assets include prospects as well, use those instead of picks if you want.

We replaced a lot of good defensive forwards with bad ones, surely this wouldn't make our defensive play suffer, now would it?
Sandin was good last year and would be a welcome sight from my perspective but no idea how he's doing this year in Washington

Scion

May 25, 2012

The Leafs forwards were excellent defensively which helped to cover up the defense, at least against most of the league. In April all weaknesses get exposed as we saw.

Scion

May 25, 2012

Who did you want to return from last years group of defensive forwards? The only one I would have paid what they received on the market is ROR and Tre tried.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Bert and Domi fill two big holes for me. The two mistakes he made can be easily buried so I'm less concerned about them. Obviously Tre can and should be expected to do better, but we can criticize two people at once...
We want them to fill some big needs, but they haven't really done so. I'm alright with Domi for the cap, he's a 3M player, but you want more from Bert at 5.5

Scion

May 25, 2012
we are watching the result of having to bury 6m worth of day 1 UFA signings
The mistake only really matters if there was another UFA that we could have signed with that money. The UFA class was fairly weak and I'm not convinced we really missed out on anyone. Maybe we did, but the money is there moving forward to rectify the mistake.

We want them to fill some big needs, but they haven't really done so. I'm alright with Domi for the cap, he's a 3M player, but you want more from Bert at 5.5
Bert is a stud and has produced everything you could expect from him without pp time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Bert is a stud and has produced everything you could expect from him without pp time.
He's been bumped off the top line and is on pace for 15 goals. He plays second PP and is slowly losing opportunities because he hasn't been able to produce.

He's not a bad addition, but he's not worth his contract right now. He's less versatile and less productive than Jarn at over 2x the cap hit

Reactions: authentic

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
The mistake only really matters if there was another UFA that we could have signed with that money. The UFA class was fairly weak and I'm not convinced we really missed out on anyone. Maybe we did, but the money is there moving forward to rectify the mistake.
it will also cost picks and prospects to rectify the mistake

14 pts in 34 games playing 16 mins a night for 5m?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
he could have not spent 15m on klingberg, reeves, kampf, samsonov, domi
I mean big picture - he has no choice but to fill in the blanks around the core since they all have NMC's. Picking up those pieces on the UFA market is always going to be hit and miss though I agree he's not off to a great start. At the same time, gotta wait until the playoffs are done before issuing final grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad