Post-Game Talk: Another embarrassing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There really should be no teaching, it’s the NHL. There should be a system in place, several systems in fact. It’s up to the coach to implement the correct procedure and find the best line combinations.
Yes, that was the "joke"

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas never fixed the defense and wasted many assets in the process. As a result we have neither the currency to trade for blueline help or the defenders ready to fill in on the farm. It's frustrating because when Dubas did draft he did an excellent job. Let's also not forget that all of the cap problems on this team stem from Dubas not using the hammer on the Leafs RFA's when he had the chance.

We have 9 million in wasted cap right now... what cap problems? We didn't have to sign Reaves, Klingberg, and Samsanov...

Our defense wasn't so bad last year, not sure if Holl moved the needle that much or it was the fact we let a bunch of defensive forwards walk for guys who don't know their own end.

What assets were wasted on D? I'm fine with the Muzzin and McCabe trade.

He was not perfect, but it is mindboggling how he is getting blamed for the current issues defensively.

Reactions: leafs in five

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
are we at the point that we're blaming dubas for every problem leafs have this year? The fact is that leafs were top 10 defensive team last season and this year they're aren't...not sure if its dubas fault or treliving fault but something is wrong. maybe adding one dimensional offensive forwards wasn't the greatest plan...who knows.

You can blame dubas for lack of draft capital but its hard to blame for defensive issue when trevling had 20 mill cap space this summer to do something to fix it.

Anyways I think trelving will get tanev soon.
Dubas sucks. Treliving sucks too.

Shanahan is the worst of them all.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas caused this mess.

You had top 10 starter (Freddie) and true veteral backup to support your starter. Then you replace McBackup with Sparky Sparks.

People ignore how valuable true veteran backups are. They offer valuable information to starter and understand their role as support player to starter.

The true backup does a lot more than start 25 games. He helps your starter mentally and gives starter supportive feedback so the starter can succeed and do his best.

It is a disaster to have two 20's year olds to fight eachother for a spot for long. Best teams have a true number one and solid vetera! backup who can step in critical times and handle pressuare.

McBackup didn't maybe have best raw skills. But he had experience, experience and experience to do solid job. Boy Blunder though he is smarter than anyone else and ruined it all. Also Andersen's play level dropped after solid backup went away. Because he needed carry the load totally himself.

McBackup hasn't even been in the league since 2021. I'm not sure what he has to do with the Leafs goaltending in 2023

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Overplaying Jones will expose him. I doubt he can carry the load until Woll returns. If he implodes, they will be a bubble team IMO.
At this point overplaying Samsonov doesn’t seem to be any better from a statistical standpoint. We’re not even getting Jones career average level goaltending from him this season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At this point overplaying Samsonov doesn’t seem to be any better from a statistical standpoint. We’re not even getting Jones career average level goaltending from him this season.
Definitely not advocating for overplaying Sammy unless we are tanking for Celebrini. Just saying that Jones might implode if he carries the load of a #1 and then we are truly f***ed.

Reactions: Cleetus

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Arbitration messed up Sammy’s head it seemed as he has been shaken since the start of the season.

I thought he was pretty good last year.

We need to be better defensively tho…not sure why we changed schemes defensively this yr

With this much talent we should expect more.

Players maybe have tuned out Keefer or the new assistants haven’t been a good fit.

Blowing 2 goal leads to bottom dwellers is never a good sign

Adding less defensively responsible players like Domi and Bert is showing thru?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Missed some game in st Lucia for a few days but folks take it easy on Sammy.. you should really be after dubie Keefer and tre and Shanny on this matter .. this one is on suits .. it would be wrong if Keefer has been told to start Sammy.. I would hope that is not true .. we signed him and we are responsible for helping him back to good mental health .. he is telling everyone it is all in his head .. it could not be more obvious he is in serious trouble right now.. sad sad sad 😔

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
One time I was walking home with a bag of groceries.

There was a homeless fellow asking for change. I didn't have any money so I offered some food. Apparently he wasn't hungry enough to eat the free plums I was offering.

This was supposed to be the free spot on the bingo card.

The Leafs were playing a bottom five team. The second this week after losing to Ottawa. And they lost AGAIN ffs.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to lose to both Ottawa AND Columbus, while looking good doing so.

This team should be better. But they continue to play down to lesser competition. Giving away two points on a regular basis in the process.

Altruism isn't always a good thing in sports.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I can't help but think the last two decades of bullshit would have been avoided if they simply hired Scotty Bowman to run things in the early 2000s.

Scion

May 25, 2012
We have 9 million in wasted cap right now... what cap problems? We didn't have to sign Reaves, Klingberg, and Samsanov...

Our defense wasn't so bad last year, not sure if Holl moved the needle that much or it was the fact we let a bunch of defensive forwards walk for guys who don't know their own end.

What assets were wasted on D? I'm fine with the Muzzin and McCabe trade.

He was not perfect, but it is mindboggling how he is getting blamed for the current issues defensively.

This is one year, what about every year prior when we were right up against the cap with no room? Furthermore, the space we had available this summer was not enough to add multiple top 4 defenders, a top 6 winger, 3rd line center and goalie.

As for assets, I'm referring to all of the firsts that were traded for rentals and McCabe (4/5 D), not to mention Kadri and Moore. The only trade that Dubas made that helped to fill a long term need was Muzzin.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I pretty much think this team tunes out Keefe when it comes to strategy or playing a specific system. I think they are just playing the way they want to play and don't care what he says. I doubt the loss of Engvall and Kerfoot would explain the bad habits and attitude. Just look how we give up leads or have half assed efforts in the first periods of games...That's not from missing Kerfoot.
yeah when even max domi is displaying bad habits on the ice you know it's a coaching thing

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This is one year, what about every year prior when we were right up against the cap with no room? Furthermore, the space we had available this summer was not enough to add multiple top 4 defenders, a top 6 winger, 3rd line center and goalie.

As for assets, I'm referring to all of the firsts that were traded for rentals and McCabe (4/5 D), not to mention Kadri and Moore. The only trade that Dubas made that helped to fill a long term need was Muzzin.
.... Did we add any of them? A third line C who looks to need defensive sheltering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad