Post-Game Talk: Another day, another Devils loss (NJ gets blanked by EDM 4-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Hynes’ “system” is based off the rush. Not sustained pressure.

It’s why he is the issue

Agreed. Hynes needs to be gone as soon as possible, especially since this is a big year with this much talent on the roster. A good system can do big wonders for a team.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I prefer last year’s team. Their effort far outweighed their talent but you can understand why that team lost. Having a talented team not playing to their potential is far more frustrating. The way they lose is also compounds frustration. Ten blown goal leads and counting, multiple shutouts, and multiple blowouts! There in no resiliency and our best player (Hall) all really blasted fans.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I started mentally preparing for the rest of the season after the philly game, but then they went on and got two wins and I got excited again. The worst part of this is probably that watching the games is no fun anymore. Even if they start winning at some point it will be too late and I’ll have mixed feelings since they’re only hurting their lottery chances. So that’s almost 70 games of entertainment down the drain. NHL isn’t free here in Finland so I’m basically paying for something that I don’t want to watch anymore.

The second worst is that they’ll lose a lot of players. Hall will be out, Gusev has no interest playing here and I fear that Hughes will also bolt to Toronto or wherever the first chance he gets if the team can’t turn this losing culture around in the next 3-5 years. I fear that not even Vatanen wants any part of this dumpster fire. But I guess Hall and certainly not Gusev don’t look very valuable players right now though, so how much worse can we be without them? But how much of their performance is on the coach and the system? If Gusev signs with the Rangers after his contract is up and pots 90pts with Panarin, that would kinda suck.

Excluding that 17-18 season, it’s been a really rough 8 year stretch to be a devils fan, possibly the worst in the history (if you don’t count the Rockies)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I started mentally preparing for the rest of the season after the philly game, but then they went on and got two wins and I got excited again. The worst part of this is probably that watching the games is no fun anymore. Even if they start winning at some point it will be too late and I’ll have mixed feelings since they’re only hurting their lottery chances. So that’s almost 70 games of entertainment down the drain. NHL isn’t free here in Finland so I’m basically paying for something that I don’t want to watch anymore.

The second worst is that they’ll lose a lot of players. Hall will be out, Gusev has no interest playing here and I fear that Hughes will also bolt to Toronto or wherever the first chance he gets if the team can’t turn this losing culture around in the next 3-5 years. I fear that not even Vatanen wants any part of this dumpster fire. But I guess Hall and certainly not Gusev don’t look very valuable players right now though, so how much worse can we be without them? But how much of their performance is on the coach and the system? If Gusev signs with the Rangers after his contract is up and pots 90pts with Panarin, that would kinda suck.

Excluding that 17-18 season, it’s been a really rough 8 year stretch to be a devils fan, possibly the worst in the history (if you don’t count the Rockies)

I know how you feel. I spent like 150$ on NHL.tv and a lot more than that on season tickets. I'm pretty much obligated to watch this disaster live :laugh:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Hard to catch Devils game in that time zone, watched the first and some of the 2rd period. Picking between Tennyson and Mueler is like choosing to be punched in the face or in the stomach. We should've signed Gardiner to play in his off side or traded for Faulk or add any other capable dman. Vatanen's injury is worrisome cause this could mean Tennyson AND Mueller together in the lineup.

Schneider is a joke what was he doing in the Drai goal??

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yep. As an oiler fan I went bat **** crazy everytime fans talked about how high picks would solve our problems.

They don't. Depth and development is the answer

This isn’t what is going on here. Team is building depth and developing players taken through out the entire draft. The young players we have are the right ones.

Problem is Ray is too loyal to this coach for whatever reason.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I would like a different coach as much as anyone but it looks like the Devils might need to purge 1 more time before moving forward as a perennial playoff perfomer. Hynes has done very well developing the young bloods. I personally thought he was set up to fail from the drop (based on success). The Devils were barren of talent at every level. Therefore, I have to believe he was brought in for other reasons. This season and 2017-2018 (where the Devils made the playoffs) set this team back hard. The team as currently built, sucks. If you keep Hall nothing changes except cap space. Furthermore, acquiring a new coach would be a breath of freash air more than anything else, but I doubt they can do much of anything at this point. The end of 2019-2020 season and the offseason will be interesting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This isn’t what is going on here. Team is building depth and developing players taken through out the entire draft. The young players we have are the right ones.

Problem is Ray is too loyal to this coach for whatever reason.
Our veterans are also failing us in a lot of positions.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Our veterans are also failing us in a lot of positions.

Starting with locker-room leadership. When you don't get leadership from the head coach that's one thing, you need a strong room to overcome that and we only really had it two years ago when our bit players like Boyle and Stafford had to be the bad cops.

Reactions: My3Sons

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Starting with locker-room leadership. When you don't get leadership from the head coach that's one thing, you need a strong room to overcome that and we only really had it two years ago when our bit players like Boyle and Stafford had to be the bad cops.

This is silly. No one knows what goes on in the room.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is silly. No one knows what goes on in the room.

Where's the guy who calls out the other players for **** performances in the room? Hint: It's nobody. It's not gonna be milquetoast Greene, it's not going to be Hall who's more worried about the crowd than his teammates. Who's the bad cop in the room? It'd be one thing if you had a respected hard ass coach like a Burns or Lemaire but that isn't Hynes.

You don't need to be in the room to see there's no accountability for **** year after year. Where has anyone on this current roster said this kind of play is unacceptable? You have our so-called leaders taking bows for moral victories after a 4-0 loss! Where there was zero pushback when one of our best players got cheap-shotted out of the game.

I know your response is going to be public comments aren't the same as private, but where is there any evidence that any of these clowns have a spine in private? It sure isn't evidenced by on-ice performance.

Reactions: mtnet and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If we had gotten average goaltending, we'd be in the playoff hunt. He have gotten historically bad goaltending.

I think MBW was above average against CAL and yet the team surrendered five goals. I think it goes deeper than just the goaltending although that’s certainly a big problem.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yep. As an oiler fan I went bat **** crazy everytime fans talked about how high picks would solve our problems.

They don't. Depth and development is the answer

This also isn’t entirely true. With the exception of Boston, the only teams who were dominant for sustained periods were the result of lottery picks (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Washington, Tampa, etc.). You need both depth and top end talent.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
That first goal was awful.

TWO Oilers got behind Mueller and Simmonds, who was covering for a pinching Subban.

The second goal Subban screens his own goalie and Butcher decides that he should stick his stick in front of the incoming puck.

The third goal, Severson decides to leave his guy in front of the net and move into the slot to challenge a shot from the point????? I mean, WTF?

The fourth goal, so many guys watching the puck on the PP. Mueller decides that the best position on the ice is screening Schneider.

Mueller f***ing sucks. There was a reason he couldn't crack the lineup in SJ.

The system is entirely predicated on near reckless aggressiveness. There is no discipline.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They've allowed 57 goals on 445 shots. With league average save % they would have allowed 43. They would have a -4 differential (was zero diff before last night's game).

They would be closer to a .500 team.

Not finding goaltending was a miss by Shero. Varly was available. At this point MBW career stats are closer to a backup than a starter. He's young so I expect him to develop into that starter role but goalies are a crapshoot.
So league average goaltending would still give them a deficit of -4, worse than anyone currently in the top 12 of the Conference....

They are tied for 28th in the league in Goals For...

But here's the problem the team has been built to score. Look at what Shero has added in his 5 years here... and perhaps more importantly look at what he hasn't added in his time here. Hall, Hughes, Palmieri, Gusev, Bratt Butcher, Subban...these guys aren't winning you games by shutting down other teams...they are here to score. Sitting at 28th in the league in Goals For is inexcusable. 28th in GF is where we were with the likes of S Gionta, Ruutu and Bernier and Zajac as the #1 center.... literally. The 2014-15 team finished 28th in the league in Goals For.

It's just too easy to point to goaltending and make believe that the whole team doesn't suck is my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I actually worked with the guy who invented that.

Funny story... we were out grabbing a bite when the waitress overheard us talking about that.

She made him scribble out a written apology on a napkin for her BF.

Ha! Too funny.

That’s awesome and while people who already followed hockey hated it, FOX had the right intent with trying to attract a new audience with novel marketing (robots for kids), technology (puck tracking), and so on. Their pushing it to a new level didn’t sit well with purists but it did get a new fanbase onboard.

just like Sega, they pushed the envelope but others benefited from it more.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad