Another Cup or Passing Gretzky

Another Cup or Ovie passing Gretzky

• Total voters

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't know where you landed on this... which is dubious?
The reason Gretzky signed with the WHA over the NHL was the same as many players in that era, the NHL didn't allow <20 year olds and the WHA did. However, Gretzky didn't even turn 18 until mid-way through his rookie season so he wouldn't have been permitted in the NHL that season even under the same rules Ovechkin played under. So that WHA season doesn't actually seem like a loss of time.

The 1994 lockout applies though.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm someone who firmly believes Ovechkin doesn't need to break Gretzky's record to be the GOAT goalscorer. Still found myself nearly voting for the 2nd option.

Couldn't do it though. This season was too fun to not want it to happen as often as possible.

Reactions: maacoshark

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The reason Gretzky signed with the WHA over the NHL was the same as many players in that era, the NHL didn't allow <20 year olds and the WHA did. However, Gretzky didn't even turn 18 until mid-way through his rookie season so he wouldn't have been permitted in the NHL that season even under the same rules Ovechkin played under. So that WHA season doesn't actually seem like a loss of time.

The 1994 lockout applies though.
gotcha.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ovi doesnt need to surpass Gretzky to be the greatest goal scorer. Gretzky's numbers are so inflated because of the no defence era he played in.
It would be nice if he did surpass Gretzky though. Then there would be no doubt.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So if he doesn’t need to pass 99, what’s your number he has to reach?

Gretzky 894
Howe 801
Jagr 766
Hull 741

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Voted Cup, but Ovie absolutely has to pass 99 in actual goals scored to be the all-time goal scoring king. Being the adjusted goal scoring champ is nice, but it's meaningless compared to having the actual record.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So if he doesn’t need to pass 99, what’s your number he has to reach?

Gretzky 894
Howe 801
Jagr 766
Hull 741
Not sure if the total will matter that much. It obviously depends on how long he plays. Look at a guy like Mike Bossy. A player you could argue was the best pure goal scorer the NHL had ever seen. He only played 10 seasons though. He was also one of those guys that played in the no defence era. I honestly feel Ovi and Bossy are the top goalscorers to play even though neither are close to Gretzky's 894 goals.
If Ovi played the same number of seasons Gretzky played he would have to average 41 goals per season over 7 seasons to tie him. That would be difficult but not out of reach. I think 800 is a realistic number for Ovi.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Voted Cup, but Ovie absolutely has to pass 99 in actual goals scored to be the all-time goal scoring king. Being the adjusted goal scoring champ is nice, but it's meaningless compared to having the actual record.

I agree with you almost 100%. I do think if Ovechkin made it to say 850 even hardcore Gretzky fans like myself would be ok with calling it even.

BTW, how lucky am I do have been alive and able to see my two favorite players of all time play live and in person many times, and they also happen to be two of the all time greats?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course his end total will matter. If he ends up 5th, not many outside of Washington and Russia will be leaping up to proclaim him the greatest. Just reality IMO.

Reactions: Sam Spade

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I want both. And he may surprise, if he stays in top shape, avoids injury/long lockouts, and the new, grounded dad that makes it a goal to achieve. If he could do 4 x 45, 2 x 35, he only needs 3 more goals. Eminently doable, IMHO. Every year of those first four that he gets to, or exceeds 45 the more likely it becomes. We'll just have to wait and see. And hope! I also wonder if the changes yo the goalie equipment might also help...

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad