Management Annual Grade the Deadline Thread 2021

What's your grade?

• Total voters

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
If you know you can buy anything. You know you are the only customer. Why do you pay more than you need to if you are absolutely certain you are the only buyer?

Because when Sweeney picks up the phone to call Adams over the summer to enquire about trading for Jack Eichel, he will not have burned any bridges or established a poor working relationship with Buffalo's GM. ;)

Reactions: Bodit9

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
that’s exactly what I think happened. As its happened so many times before.
That.

Not - we would like to trade you. Ok, I’ll only go to Boston.

But the usual.
We would like to trade you.

ok, let me know what teams are interested.
Cursory discussions occur.
We have teams A, B and C that want you and it’s acceptable to us.
Ok, I choose B.

thats the Readers Digest norm for a player with a NMC.

and , yes, it allows for all involved to make the true claim the player chose team B.

This is pretty much how I understood it went down. The one thing I'll add is that at some point when they went back to Hall he had decided that he wanted to go to Boston. This isn't Bruins management spin, every credible source has it that way.

The take is that he went through the list of teams and figured out where he had the best chance to improve his season and where there was any possibility of resigning.

member 96824

This is pretty much how I understood it went down. The one thing I'll add is that at some point when they went back to Hall he had decided that he wanted to go to Boston. This isn't Bruins management spin, every credible source has it that way.

The take is that he went through the list of teams and figured out where he had the best chance to improve his season and where there was any possibility of resigning.

You just said this was wrong.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

member 96824

that’s exactly what I think happened. As its happened so many times before.
That.

Not - we would like to trade you. Ok, I’ll only go to Boston.

But the usual.
We would like to trade you.

ok, let me know what teams are interested.
Cursory discussions occur.
We have teams A, B and C that want you and it’s acceptable to us.
Ok, I choose B.

thats the Readers Digest norm for a player with a NMC.

and , yes, it allows for all involved to make the true claim the player chose team B.

Yep. A tale as old as time!

member 96824

Well you seemed to be saying it was the Bruins putting that spin on it, at least that's what I understood. That is what I was saying is wrong.

From watching several insider videos that's what Wally described is pretty accurate.

The question is "why would Sweeney have given up a 2nd if Taylor Hall requested to only go to the Bruins?"
I said "I think there's a PR angle, wherever Taylor Hall ended up, there would be a story that he wanted to go there. Maybe they got 2 or 3 options, went to Hall and said "the return is all the same here, where would you like to go?"
Wally quoted the post and agreed with me.

That's why I think the Bruins traded a 2nd round pick.

You said "pretty sure your wrong"
-----------------------------
I have my reservations about Don Sweeney, but I don't think he's a complete moron...and I know he's not just giving away 2nd round picks for the hell of it. I don't have a doubt in my mind he gave a 2nd because he had to.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The question is "why would Sweeney have given up a 2nd if Taylor Hall requested to only go to the Bruins?"
I said "I think there's a PR angle, wherever Taylor Hall ended up, there would be a story that he wanted to go there. Maybe they got 2 or 3 options, went to Hall and said "the return is all the same here, where would you like to go?"
Wally quoted the post and agreed with me.

That's why I think the Bruins traded a 2nd round pick.

You said "pretty sure your wrong"
-----------------------------
I have my reservations about Don Sweeney, but I don't think he's a complete moron...and I know he's not just giving away 2nd round picks for the hell of it. I don't have a doubt in my mind he gave a 2nd because he had to.

Sabers fans were livid with this deal. The Sabers don't necessarily have to make the deal. A second and Bjork is a small price to pay for these two player's.

Reactions: rfournier103

member 96824

Sabers fans were livid with this deal. The Sabers don't necessarily have to make the deal. A second and Bjork is a small price to pay for these two player's.

I don't disagree it's a small price, that's not even the conversation though. The conversation starts here: Page 3

It sounds like we're just not on the same page at all here for what's even being discussed so I'm just going to leave it there. It sounds like you agree with me, but insist on telling me I'm wrong anyway, which is bizarre..but I think it's due to not having the context of the question at hand.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't disagree it's a small price, that's not even the conversation though. The conversation starts here: Page 3

It sounds like we're just not on the same page at all here for what's even being discussed so I'm just going to leave it there. It sounds like you agree with me, but insist on telling me I'm wrong anyway, which is bizarre..but I think it's due to not having the context of the question at hand.

I already told what I disagreed with. But we've done this before, I'll follow your lead and let it go.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Not saying it's most likely, but one thing I could see is the angle of generosity that you mentioned. This is a people business at the end of the day. The NHL front office seems to be very much an ol' boys club. You drive the screws too hard here for a situation that sounds like and it might be your last deal with said GM. In this case, you've got a rumored disgruntled franchise centerman that might hit the trade block as soon as months from now. You wanna risk not getting your call answered on Jack Eichel cause you drove too hard of a bargain on 8 weeks of a 2 goal Taylor Hall?

Personally? I think the most likely scenario is all the "Hall would only waive for Boston" is PR..needed PR. It was pretty public we wanted him this offseason and he picked Buffalo, so I don't blame them for running a blitz that "Hall's heart was always on Causeway street"..but I think a lot of it is "[Insert City Name Here]" to wherever he ended up.

Maybe, MAYBE, at the end...Buffalo got all their offers, had two or three very similar and then maybe said "Okay, Which of these 2 or 3 cities would you like to go to? We have our return and they're all similar so we don't care" and that's how we landed on "Hall chose Boston!"

^ This. Buffalo could just as easily put the screws to Sweeney- "we know you absolutely have to get an elite scorer or you will lose your job- here is what Hall will cost you". They didn't and for the same reason Sweeney didn't screw them- GMs have to deal with each other in the future and people remember people who f*** them over.

As for Hall I don't think he was that adamant about coming to Boston, I think he just wanted to go to any city not named Buffalo. Man did he & his agent miscalculate there.

I want to see how Hall, Lazar & Reilly do before grading Sweeney. In theory he hit it out the park. Reality may be a different story.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
didn`t trade the first round pick to get someone, check
Addressed needs of the team, chec

only thing I would have liked to see him do is get rid of Kuraly and/or Wags for a pick or something but whatever

Feel Lazar might be the sleeper of the group, should help get a little respectability back to the 4th line

Strong A- with opportunity to improve that grade if these players work out

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
^ This. Buffalo could just as easily put the screws to Sweeney- "we know you absolutely have to get an elite scorer or you will lose your job- here is what Hall will cost you". They didn't and for the same reason Sweeney didn't screw them- GMs have to deal with each other in the future and people remember people who f*** them over.

As for Hall I don't think he was that adamant about coming to Boston, I think he just wanted to go to any city not named Buffalo. Man did he & his agent miscalculate there.

I want to see how Hall, Lazar & Reilly do before grading Sweeney. In theory he hit it out the park. Reality may be a different story.
Sens could have too, B`s with 4 starting D out, thought the ask for Reilly could have been steeper

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

If Sweeny was smart he would have made his offer expire at 12:00 AM so he would still have time if it fell through. Which is probably what he did given the time the deal was announced.

From what the insiders are saying they believe there were better offers on the table but at that point Hall invoked his NTC and said he would only waive for the Bruins, which is his right given that he accepted a 1 year deal only because of the NTC.

Whether Hall was adamant about coming to Boston we don't really know but we can assume from the choices he had Boston was the best one for him at this time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I gave it an A-

The key is Hall now will be playing behind Marchand and if he has anything in the tank that will cause problems for other teams.

The other 2 players should fit in nicely with the B's system.

They gave up Anders Bjork and 2 second-round picks.

It is all moot if Tuukka and the defense don't come back healthy but if they do come back good things could happen.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I gave it a B+.

Hall and Lazar came over underpriced, so I am excited about that.

Reilly was probably worth a 4th and we gave a 2nd - so that brought the grade down from an A+ to an A-.

We also didn't address the need for a RW and are now forced to play Debrusk or Ritchie on their off-side, which isn't ideal. This brings it down to the B+ for me.

If Hall returns to even 70% of what he can be - I'll give this an A.

Reactions: LSCII

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
When you look simply at the Hall+Lazar trade and compare what we gave up to get them, to what players like Foligno, Bennett, Janmark and Mantha went for, he gets at lest a B+ for that move alone.

The value we got on that trade is insane.

I still don't think this team cracks the Top 5 for Cup contention, however we are significantly better than we we were 72 hrs ago and we didn't mortgage the future to get there.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i said b+.
wanted rackell and manson or ekholm too.
aleast rackell so smith could go to hus normal 3rd line.
marchand bergeron pasta
hall krejci rackell
debrusk coyle smith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad