Management Annual Grade the Deadline Thread 2021

What's your grade?

• Total voters

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
B+.

If they had decided to sell I would have bought in, and when they decided to be buyers I wanted them to really be buyers then, no to just cheap rentals. It would have been just wasting all of our time.

Buffalo trade A, but pretty much leaving it at that drops it to B+.

Turning DeBrusk into Garland/Rakell would have been A+

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Easy A.

Did everything I asked of him.

Added a depth defenceman. Added a great depth forward.

Added a legit second line winger.

There are niggles, for sure. Maybe another defenceman? Maybe moving one of the LWs for a RW.

But I'm also of the opinion that you don't want to change TOO much at the deadline, as that can hurt you more than help. And that I think the team is in the best place to make a run since 2011.

Oh... And all they gave up was a second, a third two drafts from now. And an underperforming forward with a contract too heavy for what he brought.

It's a huge win. Now we just need some luck in the injury department

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I was eagerly awaiting this thread.

Personally I believe the GM making a trade like Nash and Hall where we acquire the top rental always sets Sweeney up for a strong grade.

Hall trade is an A+. If it works out and Hall is extended a few seasons as a second line winger, it becomes A+++.

Rielly trade is a C+, B- for me. I will scale up to a B- as it can have its place to make the Bruins better. I will repeat myself and say if the plan is to use Rielly on the 3rd pair with Miller instead of Zboril it is a very, very good trade.

If the plan is to use Gryz with Mcavoy and Rielly with Carlo it is more in the C+ range because it then is not enough and leaves that 2nd pairing as a potential weakness with Rielly never showing he can play 20+ ATOI.

This would have been an A+ if the Bruins traded for Oleksiak or a true top four rental (no implications on the expansion draft at that point).

Good enough in my mind, largely from the terrific Hall/Lazar trade. It could have been better, and it certainly could have been much worse.

The Bruins at last have 9 top 9 forwards:
Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Hall, Krejci, Ritchie, Debrusk, Coyle, Smith.

No more Kuhlman's in the top nine pending injuries.

The defense still has a top 4 left defenseman gap but the system can hopefully protect that weakness.

McAvoy, Lauzon, Gryz, Carlo, Rielly, Miller/Kampfer/Clifton/Zboril/Tinordi.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A+

Priorities:
  • Top-winger
  • Left-shooting PMD
  • Improve fourth line
They did all three and it cost them a song. Easily the winners of the trade deadline league-wide (through TSN will tell you it's Toronto, of course).

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
A minus for me

They addressed the 2nd and 4th line and a puck mover. I really wanted Oleksiak as well and it could have been done, maybe in the summer.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
B+.

If they had decided to sell I would have bought in, and when they decided to be buyers I wanted them to really be buyers then, no to just cheap rentals. It would have been just wasting all of our time.

Buffalo trade A, but pretty much leaving it at that drops it to B+.

Turning DeBrusk into Garland/Rakell would have been A+

I went with A-.
But pretty much same reasoning.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We got the best player on the entire market at 50% retained for practically nothing.

Out:
Bjork
2nd
3rd

In:
Hall
Lazar
Reilly

Easy A. We could've used another piece up front who can play RW, or do a lateral cap management move swapping JDB or Kuraly, but I'm completely happy with this deadline.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
A- simply because i think they are missing a RW. Everything else looks good to me, sweeney did what he had to do.

Just gotta hope we get some health luck.

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
When with a A on this one. Only thing holding be back from the A+ was adding a RHD for insurance should Carlo not stay healthy. Would have loved to add a guy like Savard to this backend, but that's just being greedy lol. Not a huge fan of Hall, but he's a Bruin now and if he can get back to MVP Hall then awesome.

At the end of the day the team is better today then it was yesterday and that's all you can ask from a GM.

Reactions: Dr Hook

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Solid
A

I love that he got Hall, Lazar and Reilly without giving up their #1.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
A-. The reason for the A- instead of an A or an A+ is because I would’ve liked to see them bring in another D. You can never have too many D, especially with the inconsistent and injuries we’ve had on the blue line.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I gave him an A, got us a top 6 winger, 4th line improvement and help on defense at little cost, great job.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Gryz - McAvoy
Lauzon - Carlo
Reilly - Miller

That left side D is going to be a big question mark. Gryz being the weakest link. Not sure he can physically manage back to back games against the Caps let alone a 7 game series.

member 96824

B- for me.

Like Reilly a lot. Seemed like a fair price, maybe a bit higher than market but the extra year is probably the reason for that.

Lazar? Meh. I think we'll like him well enough, but also don't really think he's much of an upgrade over options we already have for the 4th line. No harm, no foul there though. He's a fine add

It's great we got our lottery ticket in Hall, and it could pay off nicely. It also could flop. The price was great, sounds like Hall may have helped us out there.

Something I can't really get off my mind. We're leaving available money untouched(B's not using LTIR for John Moore, but LTIR overage can't be used for bonuses so it's not that...we just aren't going to spend it), we're holding onto prospects that will never see a game with Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, and Rask, and picks that will be even further away..more than likely.

I think the most exciting part about the Hall price was the opportunities it created. You traded really nothing for him. Kept all major assets. Feels like a missed opportunity to add just one more piece and really solidify things. Our hope is that one of Jake DeBrusk/Nick Ritchie/Taylor Hall work out playing out of position and that one of Reilly/Lauzon/Zboril can be a top 4 20 minute a night defender in four 7 game series'

Maybe they're so confident they can keep Hall at a reasonable price this summer that it wasn't a go for it move this year, but next year. I dunno. Just felt like a moment where the chips really could be pushed in, but instead, we remained hesitant. It's sort of saying "sorry Patrice, Sorry David, Sorry Tuukka...we could have really gone for it but that would have cost Uhro Vaakaninen, or the chance to draft another Uhro Vaakaninen and we determined that getting you that help just wouldn't be worth that."

It's a deadline where we were "in on" a ton of things, ended up with a solid bottom 3 defender, a 4th liner, and a guy who it sounds like requested to be traded to us.

THAT ALL BEING SAID

No one moved today that I wanted in addition into Hall. But also, no one knew Mantha or Vrana were available until they were. So I'm speculating a little bit that the chips could be pushed all in and the issue could be forced to acquire someone that otherwise wasn't traded. Obviously that's not a guarantee.

I think these moves helped, with the potential for the Hall move to help a ton or crash and burn..but I still just can't shake the feeling that the Bruins cup chances are solely based on a lot of things going exactly their way.

Again, unless this was all for building toward a run next year, with this year just being gravy and I'm just misreading it. It's also been a while since we've had an aggressive offseason...or a single offseason trade...so I'm factoring that into my equation here.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
B- for me.

The way Hall has played this year is not a top 6 winger on a contending team and it appears the only reason Sweeney got him was because of Hall nixing other trades (not confirmed)

Didn't add the back end and is relying on a lot of question marks IMO.

This team is not a contending team in a very tough East.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
B- for me.

The way Hall has played this year is not a top 6 winger on a contending team and it appears the only reason Sweeney got him was because of Hall nixing other trades (not confirmed)

Didn't add the back end and is relying on a lot of question marks IMO.

This team is not a contending team in a very tough East.

You could very well be right, but anything can happen in the playoffs (if we make it, which we will). This also might be the last kick at the can before we have to rebuild, so I think Sweeney felt he owed it to the core group.

3rdMangHigh

Jul 22, 2009
Calgary
Netted the biggest fish in the pond.
Also consensus best value of the day.
Lazar is a gamer.
Was hoping for a sexier name on the back end but Reilly looks like he's trending in the right direction.

Solid A here

Reactions: JCRO

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Holes heading into today

Marchand Bergeron Smith
Xxx Krejci Pastrnak
Ritchie Coyle DeBrusk
Xxx Kuraly Wagner

Grzelcyk McAvoy
Xxx Carlo
Lauzon Miller

Xxx- Hall: shores up our top 6..strengthen our 3rd line having others slot down

Xxx- Lazar: Kuraly and Wagner have shown promise the last few games, Freddy has fallen off the map..they needed a high end 4th liner they got it

Xxx- they needed a Top 4 LD...I believe they got a bottom pair LD boarderline 2nd pair LD

A+ for fixing the forward group
B- for fixing the defensive group
Overall A-

Bjork is a nobody had no place on this team or in the future so just a 2nd and a 3rd to fix 3 holes is very good

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A-.

He did well landing Hall and got Lazar who has term and is a Kuraly replacement. He also got Reilly who is a solid defenseman and only makes a healthy D corp better.

I would have liked another D and a few picks by trading a guy like Kuraly or Zboril.

The draft will be interesting as this is where I suspect Jake DeBrusk to be moved thanks to groundwork laid over the last few days.

Get healthy on D and goaltending and there is no reason to think the team can't put together a run.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
The price was right. Big win there. Enough question marks on what we are getting with Hall to make this a B+ for a final grade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad