7|Blake Coleman|C/LW|2011 #75|Miami (OH) University (NCHC)| 30/70
8|Joshua Jacobs|D|2013 #41|Michigan St. University (B1G)|19/72 -> 40/58
9|Blake Speers|RW|2015 #69|Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)|22/69
10|Joseph Blandisi|C/RW|2012 #162/UFA|Barrie Colts (OHL)|22/79
11|Raman Hrabarenka|D|UFA|Albany Devils (AHL)|23/58
12|Miles Wood|LW|2013 #100|Noble & Greenough School (USHS)|25/53
[/table]

RYR112_HKO_World_Juniors_Russia_USA_20150102.JPG

Pretty sure that's Wood. If not, I'll change it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Man, I'm just lost at this point. Might just go with Black for old time's "sleeper" sake. I'm not all that fond of Kujawinski, Helgeson or Pietila, and I know almost nothing about Kalinin, Mozik, Seney, and White besides their box scores. If we're talking pure upside, I'd probably go with Kerfoot or Scarlett. But at this point in the list, a player with a 50% likelihood of being a bottom-6/third pair player beats out a 2% likelihood for being a top-6 player, IMO.

I think Helgeson might have to be the pick for me. His numbers were trash last season, but so was the team and its directionless, visionless coaching. Helgeson passed the eye test quite a few times for me, he looked way more mobile in the context of NHL games than I was expecting, considering I thought he always looked kinda average with Albany. And he clearly plays a tough game that might mesh well with a good partner focused on moving the puck. I guess at this point, any decision is a split hair anyway.

add Wedge

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Woods face at the thought of signing with the Devils :sarcasm:

Black. remove Helgeson, dont feel like he belongs imo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Woods face at the thought of signing with the Devils :sarcasm:

Black. remove Helgeson, dont feel like he belongs imo

He is a prospect. He belongs.

Going with Kuja. Black's injury history is starting to worry me. Honestly I was really tempted to go Seney. If he has a solid sophomore season he will rise up the ranks a bit.

I have no idea what to do with Pietla.

Add Chathom and Wedgewood.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm gonna wait to add a prospect until we shrink it down to 10. I'm expecting to go to 20. But if we keep getting a pretty decent turnout, I may go even further.

But it's easily Kalinin for me. I really think he's going to be a bottom-six NHL player easily next year.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if Helgeson really belongs, he should be ahead of Hrabarenka. but hey.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Almost a toss up between Helgeson, Kalinin & Mozik for me.

I think Mozik may have the most upside & I think Kalinin has a good shot of making the team this year and wouldn't have left the KHL if he didn't believe that was the case, but have to give Helgeson the edge since the Devils saw enough in him to play him in NJ for a quarter of last season.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Mozik. Everything I've seen of this guy says young Zidlicky to me, who, whatever you might say about him, has played nearly 800 NHL games and scored 400 points from the back end. I think he'll be in the AHL to start the year and acclimate to NA ice, but of all our d-prospects outside of those already on the roster, I think he could end up having one of the most impactful NHL careers if he clicks.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
My debate was between Helg & Kuji. Went with the fwd and the hope of offense. I think Helg will have a long career in a Jason Smith, Keith Carney type role - solid D and leader type (just a gut feeling)

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Pietilla is good for faceoffs and maybe forechecking but nothing more.

He has more offensive ability than I think really came out in college, thanks to being used as an extreme shutdown player, but regardless, there's like 0% chance that he's above a replacement-level offensive forward in the NHL. But I don't think he'd be like... Sestito-bad offensively.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Voted Helgeson. I was very impressed with him when he was up here and I'm sure we'll see him here at some point this season.

A little off topic, but Miles Wood is a good looking kid lol. The girls are going to be all over him when he gets up here like Rico and Parise

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Voted Helgeson. I was very impressed with him when he was up here and I'm sure we'll see him here at some point this season.

A little off topic, but Miles Wood is a good looking kid lol. The girls are going to be all over him when he gets up here like Rico and Parise

And Zacha, kid is a Czech stud. If we can't win cups, we can win some beauty pageants at least. :laugh:

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
And Zacha, kid is a Czech stud. If we can't win cups, we can win some beauty pageants at least. :laugh:

We will win cups again we should be positive about all the changes this off season to date.
I realize you were joking.. I hope the fan negative finger pointing of the past 4 years reduces this coming season if not go to zero. We are all a part of a major change with Devils hockey in all areas and it's all good in my opinion.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I really don't get what people see in Kujawinski

Well, he had more points per game than John Quenneville who we have ranked at #3. Same League, was a +11 and a +8 on two different teams. Scored in overtime and double overtime in the OHL conference playoffs.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Gavrus. I'm intrigued to see what this guy can do getting top six minutes in Finland.

He probably has some of the highest upside of any of our forward prospects.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Well, he had more points per game than John Quenneville who we have ranked at #3. Same League, was a +11 and a +8 on two different teams. Scored in overtime and double overtime in the OHL conference playoffs.

He's also a year older, got much better minutes, and didn't deal with consistent injuries (including concussion).

I don't know why people don't include context when discussing junior players. A 20 year old outscoring a 19 year old in junior leagues is expected, not impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad