Prospect Info: Annual Devils Prospect Rankings #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I look at that list and i wonder if people are voting based more on who they think will be NHL ready first then skill or talent.

After watching yesterdays 3 on 3 i have a totally different take on Speers, Blandisi, and Blackwood. Those 3 have a lot of skill and I would have put higher on my list i think. Granted it was one day but seeing the prospects in person changes the way you think about them.

Also I still put Wood higher also i think he has more skill then a guy like Kalinin.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really really curious to see where the consensus is after this pick. I could see arguments for all of Helgeson, Kujawinski, Scarlett, Pietila, Black, Kerfoot, Seney, or Mozik. So...who knows. :dunno:

Helgeson stands out to me in the next group, since he has NHL experience and as god of a chance as any prospect of sticking with the club this season.

I also like Mozik's upside, so would probably vote for him after Helgeson - I think I need to do more research on the group after that.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Helgeson stands out to me in the next group, since he has NHL experience and as god of a chance as any prospect of sticking with the club this season.

I also like Mozik's upside, so would probably vote for him after Helgeson - I think I need to do more research on the group after that.

I'm leaning towards Kujawinski next. So much win in his name. Seriously though. Hegelson didn't impress me that much when he was called up. Haven't seen Mozik or Kalinin yet. Black shows some promise. Not sure about the rest.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm leaning towards Kujawinski next. So much win in his name. Seriously though. Hegelson didn't impress me that much when he was called up. Haven't seen Mozik or Kalinin yet. Black shows some promise. Not sure about the rest.

I was thinking Kujawinski (and would probably have him after Helgeson & Mozik), but I was expected to see more of a jump in his numbers. During is draft year, he averaged 0.73 PPG - in the two seasons since, it's increased to 0.91 & 0.97 but as an overaged player, I was expected him to be over a PPG.

I also forgot about Kalinin. I think he challenges for a spot this season, so deserves to be in the next few picks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kalinin easily is my vote for the next one, especially after seeing him yesterday in the 3-on-3 tournament.

He's got all the tools to be a bottom six forward -- size, defensive play, character -- but he showed he's got some skills as well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm surprised that everyone has soured on Graham Black, or so it seems by these votes and not even cracking the (likely) top 12.

He was heavily touted by some on here last season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm surprised that everyone has soured on Graham Black, or so it seems by these votes and not even cracking the (likely) top 12.

He was heavily touted by some on here last season.

I'm still pretty high on him...highly touted? Not sure about that...I see him and Blandisi on par as prospects...That is, guy you hope turn into diamonds in the rough.

Unfortunately he was injured a lot last season but the head coach had a lot of praise for him and his game. This is a critical year for him I believe. He needs to stay healthy and turn some heads this year. He has two years remaining on his ELC but he needs to take another step this year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not sure it is proper to be adding Kalinin and Mozik in our prospect list...at least not Kalinin, I mean he is really an UFA signing. He was the captain of a Pro hockey team, he is 24 years old and will be 25 before this season ends and he has 5 years experience in the KHL.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think the hype around Black was largely a result of how sad the overall group of prospects looked at the time. It doesn't help that his first AHL season was really lackluster, but I think his drop has a lot more to do with all the young players that are showing up for the first time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hype? I don't remember any Black hype?

I do remember a lot people encouraged that in the first season he was healthy after his health issues he blew it up, albeit as an averaged.

As far as hype, I don't remember half the hype for Black as there is for Blandisi even though they both accomplished basically the same thing in their junior careers.. I would even argue Black achieved more with the hand he was dealt on a much weaker team.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Hype? I don't remember any Black hype?

I do remember a lot people encouraged that in the first season he was healthy after his health issues he blew it up, albeit as an averaged.

As far as hype, I don't remember half the hype for Black as there is for Blandisi even though they both accomplished basically the same thing in their junior careers.. I would even argue Black achieved more with the hand he was dealt on a much weaker team.

Maybe "hype" was too strong a word. But there were lots of little things. For example, immediately after being drafted, Pronman listed him as a potential sleeper in his Devils' top-10.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=1389

(of special interest to Bleedred in that article is Urbom being listed above Severson)

But really it was after his breakout WHL season (and beating Graves Disease) that made a lot of people realize the Devils might have a potential NHL player in Black. I think it's fair to call that "hype" for a 5th round pick that had gone relatively unnoticed for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad