11|Raman Hrabarenka|D|UFA|Albany Devils (AHL)|23/58
[/table]

628x471.jpg

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Really really curious to see where the consensus is after this pick. I could see arguments for all of Helgeson, Kujawinski, Scarlett, Pietila, Black, Kerfoot, Seney, or Mozik. So...who knows. :dunno:

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Incredible how our list of prospect is weak, seriously.

The fact a guy we drafted on the 3rd round this year enter easily the top-10 says a lot about our situation... which is really, really bad.

I like Speers, though. But it's the overall list which makes me worried.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Incredible how our list of prospect is weak, seriously.

The fact a guy we drafted on the 3rd round this year enter easily the top-10 says a lot about our situation... which is really, really bad.

I like Speers, though. But it's the overall list which makes me worried.

I look at that list and get pretty excited actually...I look at Zacha, Santini, Matteau and think "guaranteed NHLers".

I look at Coleman, Boucher, Quenneville as "good chance to be NHL regulars"

At no point in time in the last 10/15 years have we had 4 or 5 NHLers in our prospect pool at on time. The closest thing was when Merrill, Gelinas and Severson were listed as prospects at once...

I see a couple of Blandisi, Black, Hrabarenka, Kalinin, Pietila, Helgeson and Mozik as moving into the next group up of "good chance" within this year.

I look at Wood, Jacobs as prospects in the cusp of breaking out next season.

Our prospect pool hasnt been this healthy in a very long time. This pool as it stands right now will produce a minimum of 4 NHL players but maybe 5 or 6...You'd have to go into the 1990's to find a Devils prospect pool that had 5 or 6 NHL players in it at one time.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
I look at that list and get pretty excited actually...I look at Zacha, Santini, Matteau and think "guaranteed NHLers".

Honestly prospects like Matteau or Quenneville don't excite me at all. They scream role-players to me, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Not sold on the NHL future of guys like Boucher or Coleman either. Well, in the end, I see Zacha as a good prospect, Santini as an interesting one with unclear upside, and a big bunch of maybes. That's kinda depressing.

Let's just hope I'm wrong.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

At no point in time in the last 10/15 years have we had 4 or 5 NHLers in our prospect pool at on time. The closest thing was when Merrill, Gelinas and Severson were listed as prospects at once...

I see a couple of Blandisi, Black, Hrabarenka, Kalinin, Pietila, Helgeson and Mozik as moving into the next group up of "good chance" within this year.

I look at Wood, Jacobs as prospects in the cusp of breaking out next season.

Our prospect pool hasnt been this healthy in a very long time. This pool as it stands right now will produce a minimum of 4 NHL players but maybe 5 or 6...You'd have to go into the 1990's to find a Devils prospect pool that had 5 or 6 NHL players in it at one time.

As much as I try to look critically at our prospects and not get carried away, I can't help agreeing. I don't think many of these guys have high ceilings, but many have relatively high floors. In other words I see players that are noted for playing a very complete game that suits the modern NHL. These are not the same kind of prospects as Tallackson, Ryznar, Bergfors, etc. - guys who were more boom or bust.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Honestly prospects like Matteau or Quenneville don't excite me at all. They scream role-players to me, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Not sold on the NHL future of guys like Boucher or Coleman either. Well, in the end, I see Zacha as a good prospect, Santini as an interesting one with unclear upside, and a big bunch of maybes. That's kinda depressing.

Let's just hope I'm wrong.

So?

You don't even need to be wrong for it to be an extremely successful crop of prospects.
We are coming from a place where we were producing next nothing for a good long while. And we are now at place where we've just revamped an entire defense and with the possibilities of a bunch real contributors.

I think many of us get up in the limitation of the prospects...The level they might achieve really isn't important. What is important is that we have a pipeline of players that can step into the NHL and contribute as opposed to looking to UFA and signing the people like Ryder, Clowe, Havlat, Jagr, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Bernier, Gomez, Carter, Kostopoulos, or Bobby Butler. That type of garbage is THE SOLE reason why we are here today. The Kovalchuk contract and debacle made that most that garbage a necessity but had we had ANY prospects to step in we wouldn't be in the position we are today.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Well when I said role-players, maybe I meant more like journeymen. Guys who will not really have any kind of impact in the NHL. When I see guys like Matteau or Quenneville, I see a bit of what I saw in a guy like Palmieri. We know what happened here.

I'd be surprised if really several of these guys have significant careers at the NHL level. But then again, let's just hope I'm dead wrong here and everybody will be happy. Maybe these guys will surprise me and force their way as good complementary players, who knows really.

One thing for sure, there is a lack of high-end talent IMO.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well when I said role-players, maybe I meant more like journeymen. Guys who will not really have any kind of impact in the NHL. When I see guys like Matteau or Quenneville, I see a bit of what I saw in a guy like Palmieri. We know what happened here.

I'd be surprised if really several of these guys have significant careers at the NHL level. But then again, let's just hope I'm dead wrong here and everybody will be happy. Maybe these guys will surprise me and force their way as good complementary players, who knows really.

One thing for sure, there is a lack of high-end talent IMO.

If our former 1st rounders are more in the vain of Nick Palmieri(87 NHL games - Drafted 8 years ago in the 3rd round - playing in Germany now) we're in gigantic trouble...Pack that **** up an move to Seattle now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And I see Chatham and Kujawinski as the Nick Palmieri's, Barry Tallackson's of the past...today those players don't even crack a top 20, in the past they were top 7 or 8.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Kalinin should be ahead of Wood at this point. Kalinin produced in a pro league already and is known for his defensive and leadership skills. Wood hasn't proven anything at a level higher than high school.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If someone wants to do the next one for me, I won't be able to get to my laptop to post it anytime soon.

Just quote my post for the table and the rest should be self explanatory. If not I probably won't have the next one up until like 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad