Prospect Info: Annual Devils Prospect Rankings #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Zacha-Santini is an easy 1-2. After that, it gets interesting.

Boucher and Matteau should be included as neither has held a spot in the lineup for an extended period of time or are considered a lock to play next season like Severson is.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Voted for Blandisi

52 goals 60 assists 112 points in 68 games

v

Zacha

16 goals 18 assists 34 points in 37 games

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
1) Zacha
2) Santini
3) Blandisi
4) Quenneville
5) Wood
6) Jacobs
7) Coleman
8) Black
9) Helgeson
10) Speers

Edit: I forgot Kuja. He's right after Coleman at 8.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
1/2) Zacha/Santini
3) Blandisi
4) Quenneville
5) Kuja
6) Black (i put him higher than below due to AHL experience
7) Coleman (>jacobs due to NCAA exp and older)
8) Jacobs
9) Woods
10) Speers[/QUOTE]

i don't count hulk as a prospect really, he's kind of in between.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm surprised so many people are ready to hand the #2 spot to Santini. He hasn't exactly given any indication that he's any more than our next McPherson yet. I think I'd have all of Quenneville, Coleman, Speers, and Hrabarenka ahead of him, maybe Jacobs too. Blandisi's a guy I have absolutely no idea where to rank.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
My own extremely subjective rankings:

1) Zacha - Safe bet to be a Top 6 forward.
2) Quenneville - Fairly safe bet to be a 2nd/3rd line center.
3) Blackwood - Fairly safe bet to be a starting NHL goaltender.
4) Santini - Fairly safe bet to be at least a 2nd pairing defenceman.
5) Wood - High ceiling, could be a 2nd line LW, could bust entirely.
-
6) Matteau - Fairly safe bet to be bottom 6 winger / 3rd line ceiling.
7) Coleman - Reasonably safe bet to be at least a 3rd line winger.
8) Blandisi - High ceiling, could be a 2nd line C, could bust entirely.
9) Speers - Decent ceiling, could be top 6 winger, could bust entirely.
10) Jacobs - Decent ceiling, could be 2nd pairing defender, could bust entirely.
-
11) Kujawinski - High ceiling but also very high bust potential.
12) White - Decent ceiling, could be a 2nd pairing defender, could bust entirely.
13) Hrabarenka - Low ceiling, but should be an okay 3rd pairing / 7th defender.
14) Boucher - High ceiling, very close to being a bust though.
15) Black - Low ceiling, could be a decent 3rd/4th line forward.
-
16) Chatham - Low ceiling, could be a 4th line forward / AHL call-up.
17) Helgeson - Low ceiling, physical 3rd pairing / 7th defender.
18) Wedgewood - Low ceiling, maybe an NHL backup one day, more likely a career AHLer.
19) Seney - Decent ceiling but 99% chance he'll bust due to his size.
20) Scarlett - Career AHLer.

People who i have no idea how to rank, mostly due to knowing very little about them:

Kerfoot, Dudek, Gavrus, Pietila, Baddock, Thomson, Rehill, Faust, Brodeur.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
I'm surprised so many people are ready to hand the #2 spot to Santini. He hasn't exactly given any indication that he's any more than our next McPherson yet. I think I'd have all of Quenneville, Coleman, Speers, and Hrabarenka ahead of him, maybe Jacobs too. Blandisi's a guy I have absolutely no idea where to rank.

Besides him making the WJC, being a lock to make it last year despite injury and the heaps of praise he gets in the college community?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My own extremely subjective rankings:

1) Zacha - Safe bet to be a Top 6 forward.
2) Quenneville - Fairly safe bet to be a 2nd/3rd line center.
3) Blackwood - Fairly safe bet to be a starting NHL goaltender.
4) Santini - Fairly safe bet to be at least a 2nd pairing defenceman.
5) Wood - High ceiling, could be a 2nd line LW, could bust entirely.
-
6) Matteau - Fairly safe bet to be bottom 6 winger / 3rd line ceiling.
7) Coleman - Reasonably safe bet to be at least a 3rd line winger.
8) Blandisi - High ceiling, could be a 2nd line C, could bust entirely.
9) Speers - Decent ceiling, could be top 6 winger, could bust entirely.
10) Jacobs - Decent ceiling, could be 2nd pairing defender, could bust entirely.
-
11) Kujawinski - High ceiling but also very high bust potential.
12) White - Decent ceiling, could be a 2nd pairing defender, could bust entirely.
13) Hrabarenka - Low ceiling, but should be an okay 3rd pairing / 7th defender.
14) Boucher - High ceiling, very close to being a bust though.
15) Black - Low ceiling, could be a decent 3rd/4th line forward.
-
16) Chatham - Low ceiling, could be a 4th line forward / AHL call-up.
17) Helgeson - Low ceiling, physical 3rd pairing / 7th defender.
18) Wedgewood - Low ceiling, maybe an NHL backup one day, more likely a career AHLer.
19) Seney - Decent ceiling but 99% chance he'll bust due to his size.
20) Scarlett - Career AHLer.

People who i have no idea how to rank, mostly due to knowing very little about them:

Kerfoot, Dudek, Gavrus, Pietila, Baddock, Thomson, Rehill, Faust, Brodeur.

I like this list a lot except for Boucher.... But overall is pretty damn close to the list I did last night. I didn't have a goalie on my list just ranked skaters...

Boucher at #14 is a travesty

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I like this list a lot except for Boucher.... But overall is pretty damn close to the list I did last night. I didn't have a goalie on my list just ranked skaters...

Boucher at #14 is a travesty

I just don't see it with Boucher at all; nothing about his game outside of his shot looks remotely NHL calibre and time is running out for him to drastically improve in those areas.

You can't make it in the NHL anymore being completely one-dimensional, especially when your one huge asset (his shot) is probably the hardest skill of them all to translate over from juniors into the NHL. The NHL is a different beast entirely to juniors; the goaltenders are bigger, more agile and more skilled, the defenders are smarter, more physical and have vastly improved positioning. Space to actually use that shot is at a premium and i don't see how he's going to find it.

He dominated inferior competition in juniors but i just can't see him having that kind of impact in the NHL, his skating is outright poor, he's average at best along the boards and in terms of his defensive play, nor is he much of a passer/playmaker.

I hope i end up eating my words, really i do, but i don't rate Boucher highly at all in the context of our prospect pool, he belongs roughly where i put him with the other boom/bust prospects. Except in his case he's had some chances in the NHL already and failed to impress.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just don't see it with Boucher at all; nothing about his game outside of his shot looks remotely NHL calibre and time is running out for him to drastically improve in those areas.

You can't make it in the NHL anymore being completely one-dimensional, especially when your one huge asset (his shot) is probably the hardest skill of them all to translate over from juniors into the NHL. The NHL is a different beast entirely to juniors; the goaltenders are bigger, more agile and more skilled, the defenders are smarter, more physical and have vastly improved positioning. Space to actually use that shot is at a premium and i don't see how he's going to find it.

He dominated inferior competition in juniors but i just can't see him having that kind of impact in the NHL, his skating is outright poor, he's average at best along the boards and in terms of his defensive play, nor is he much of a passer/playmaker.

I hope i end up eating my words, really i do, but i don't rate Boucher highly at all in the context of our prospect pool, he belongs roughly where i put him with the other boom/bust prospects. Except in his case he's had some chances in the NHL already and failed to impress.

Wow...I don't know to begin.

But I would say out of any prospect we have brought up in the last 10 years Boucher has displayed a better hockey sense than anyone not named Adam Henrique (not too hard really)

Your boards comment particularly stuck out to me because I think it is one of the best parts of his game. He has a spark plug type of build allowing him to battle against much bigger men and he seems to win those battles.

This is a player who all his career has just needed to find soft spots on the ice and shoot the puck(this is why I believe there is perceived skating issue when there isn't) and now has been asked to redine his game.

There is nothing terribly wrong with his skating we've seen him on rush and he wasn't at all lacking...but a shooter like this often coasts behind the play looking for open ice had he found success in his short stints here people would've used terms like "deceptive speed"...

You have a player here with a lot of people whispering in his ear telling what he needs to do to play in the NHL and I think with a new staff it is going to throw him another curve ball with a new set of guidelines on "how to make the NHL".

But the truth of the matter is this is a prospect that has accomplished more at every level than any prospect we have. He has managed to scored goals at a good pace at level he's played...there is certainty more positives to point to than a Kujawinski, Blandisi, Matteau, Wood or Speers.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Hrabarenka is getting no love here ever. I have been pimping this guy for 2 months now, he will be the surprise of the season

I liked his skillset in the game he played at the end of last season. Agree that there might be something there, more than we think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess I went against the grain and picked Santini. I didn't think it would be quite as lopsided in favor of Zacha.

Zacha would absolutely be second for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad