Prospect Info: Annual Detroit Red Wings Prospect Poll - #9

Who is Detroit’s #9 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
LDN could be a 3rd line C/W (most probable outcome). He could also be a 2nd/3rd line tweener C/W (Less probable). I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him develop into a scrappy top 6 C/W (even less probable). Or he may blow us all away and become the next Zetterberg (lowest probability)
Most probable outcome is that he, like most other draft picks, doesn't become an NHLer. Prior to this pre-season he hasn't really done anything at the SHL level and in juniors, while he's put up nice numbers, he's always been part of a duo with offensive guys like Persson and Lysell etc. Obviously I hope he does well but putting so much emphasis on his current pre-season is just as much recency bias as with Buchelnikov. Regarding the KHL vs SHL question, I don't know anyone who would argue that top KHL and SHL teams have comparable talent especially when it comes to depth of talent.

In general I don't really buy the idea that a prospect with less top end skill but more all-round skill is more likely to make the NHL. Only the best make the NHL in any meaningful role, so even a 3rd line NHL center is generally extremely good at something. Not having top end skill already as a prospect probably won't help carve out an NHL career.

Last edited:

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Weird that Buchlenikov is about to win this poll and you dont have a problem with that, but the guy drafted top 40 and higher in the exact same draft as Buchelnikov should be nowhere near the top 10... Would love to hear the logic on that one
Most people believe that Russians playing in Russia saw a drop across the board due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the uncertainty that has stemmed from it.

Also they were drafted 12 spots from each other. It’s not like one was a first and the other was a sixth.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Most probable outcome is that he, like most other draft picks, doesn't become an NHLer. Prior to this pre-season he hasn't really done anything at the SHL level and in juniors, while he's put up nice numbers, he's always part of a duo with offensive guys like Persson and Lysell etc. Obviously I hope he does well but putting so much emphasis on his current pre-season is just as much recency bias as with Buchelnikov. Regarding the KHL vs SHL question, I don't know anyone who would argue that top KHL and SHL teams have comparable talent.

In general I don't really buy the idea that a prospect with less top end skill but more all-round skill is more likely to make the NHL. Only the best make the NHL in any meaningful role, so even a 3rd line NHL center is generally extremely good at something. Not having top end skill already as a prospect probably won't help carve out an NHL career.

Projectable skills, skating, frame and usefulness. Saying LDN has less top end skill is selling the guy short. He's an excellent playmaker. He's also a pretty good skater on top of being a good playmaker and has a knack for finding the gaps in a team's defense.

LDN is a player that, even though he may not be a top 10 prospect, I have a lot of faith in him making it to the NHL. I get the feeling that after this season we're going to see him rise quite a bit in our team prospect rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad