6. Albert Johansson - LD
7. Carter Mazur - W
8. William Wallinder - LD
9. Dmitri Buchelnikov - W
10. Donovan Sebrango - LD

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I went with Liam Dower-Nilsson. Great D+1 year in J20 Nationale and is looking to play full time on Frolunda's shutdown line this year with Joel Lundqvist (former NHLer and brother of Henrik Lundqvist).

5 goals in 3 preseason games. Looking bigger and faster than last year. Very strong defensively and a great playmaker. He's gonna be realgud this year. I think he's the Wing's best forward prospect in this next group by large margin.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
London here for me, but I understand a Buium vote.

I understand the Buium votes.

I don't get any vote for Niederbach or Cross Hanas though. That's like a vote for Mattias Ritola and Chris Terry. 2 guys that will very likely be career minor leaguers.

EDIT: got my AHLers mixed up for a second.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I don't get any vote for Niederbach or Cross Hanas though. That's like a vote for Mattias Ritola and Troy Terry. 2 guys that will very likely be career minor leaguers.
Niederbach I can kinda sorta get. He’s dropped for me and I don’t see a carrying tool, but I guess he has a floor at least? I do mostly agree though.

Hanas I don’t think I have in my top-20.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Niederbach I can kinda sorta get. He’s dropped for me and I don’t see a carrying tool, but I guess he has a floor at least? I do mostly agree though.

Hanas I don’t think I have in my top-20.

Niederbach's skating hasn't improved at all in 2 years. Neither has his strength. He still gets ragdolled by defenders the same size as Wings legend Joe Hickets. He was mediocre at the WJC and I'm expecting to see him get bumped over to 3rd line wing in Rogle as the season progresses.

Hanas had a really bad D+1 and had a good scoring year in his D+2 on probably the most senior team in the WHL. Probably a 2nd/3rd line AHL winger type. He does a great job of stickhandling while standing still but his boots still need work.

Went with Hanas because of being closer to NHL ready. But prefer LDN

Reported for trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: jaster

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't get any vote for Niederbach or Cross Hanas though. That's like a vote for Mattias Ritola and Chris Terry. 2 guys that will very likely be career minor leaguers.

EDIT: got my AHLers mixed up for a second.
Why? I think you could vote for a bunch of players at this point, and it would be reasonable.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Why? I think you could vote for a bunch of players at this point, and it would be reasonable.

Because we've seen pretty consistent improvement from several prospects but not enough from guys like Hanas, Niederbach, and Viro to an extent.

Hanas scored as much as he did because he finally got a 1st line spot with Portland. Niederbach has played J20, Allsvenskan and SHL for the last 2 seasons and we've seen zero physical or technical improvement in his game. He's largely the same player Detroit drafted in 2020. And Viro has improved his defensive decision making but we've seen next to no offensive improvement in his game. He's the 2022 Derek Meech.

I'd bet monies that if any of these 3 see NHL hockey it's in a 4 game or less call up when half the roster is injured.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because we've seen pretty consistent improvement from several prospects but not enough from guys like Hanas, Niederbach, and Viro to an extent.

Hanas scored as much as he did because he finally got a 1st line spot with Portland. Niederbach has played J20, Allsvenskan and SHL for the last 2 seasons and we've seen zero physical or technical improvement in his game. He's largely the same player Detroit drafted in 2020. And Viro has improved his defensive decision making but we've seen next to no offensive improvement in his game. He's the 2022 Derek Meech.

I'd bet monies that if any of these 3 see NHL hockey it's in a 4 game or less call up when half the roster is injured.
None of the guys left in these polls had impressive years in Sweden last year.

A bunch of guys outproduced LDN at the J20 level last year that were late round picks or will amount to nothing.

Niederbach had a super meh season in the SHL last year.

I swear this board (minus Jaster) just has a fetish for Euro players. Hanas is a 6'1/6'2 winger with skill who had a good season last year after having a pretty messed up Covid +1 year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
None of the guys left in these polls had impressive years in Sweden last year.

A bunch of guys outproduced LDN at the J20 level last year that were late round picks or will amount to nothing.

I swear this board (minus Jaster) just has a fetish for Euro players. Hanas is a 6'1/6'2 winger with skill who had a good season last year after having a pretty messed up Covid +1 year.

LDN was 11th in J20 scoring last year in 34 games. The only player with more points and less games than him was Liam Ohgren, a 1st round talent. If you look at players that played 30+ games, LDN had the 3rd highest PPG with 1.47. He did that while playing really solid 2-way hockey too. He's also added close to 20lbs since being drafted AND has become a better skater. And he's going to have a full time role with Frolunda this year.

Hanas was dreadful in the USHL in 2020-21 and wasn't that great when he returned to Portland in his D+1. Kudos to him for leading his junior team in scoring in his D+2 but it was also a very senior aged WHL team. And if you saw him at the prospect camp this year, his skating still isn't that great.

This has nothing to do with a Euro fetish so you can drop that BS argument. Cross Hanas is a prospect that looks like he's plateaued. So is Niederbach, another Euro prospect. Mazur and LDN are the two most improved Wings prospects from draft year to D+1 from the 2021 class. And their developments have leapfrogged some guys from the 2020 class.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
LDN was 11th in J20 scoring last year in 34 games. The only player with more points and less games than him was Liam Ohgren, a 1st round talent. If you look at players that played 30+ games, LDN had the 3rd highest PPG with 1.47. He did that while playing really solid 2-way hockey too. He's also added close to 20lbs since being drafted AND has become a better skater. And he's going to have a full time role with Frolunda this year. Mazur and LDN are the two most improved Wings prospects from draft year to D+1.

Hanas was dreadful in the USHL in 2020-21 and wasn't that great when he returned to Portland in his D+1. Kudos to him for leading his junior team in scoring in his D+2 but it was also a very senior aged WHL team. And if you saw him at the prospect camp this year, his skating still isn't that great.

This has nothing to do with a Euro fetish so you can drop that BS argument. Cross Hanas is a prospect that looks like he's plateaued. So is Niederbach, another Euro prospect.
Ludwig Persson outscored LDN on the same team this year, was drafted #85th. Oskar Jellvik is another 03 who was close to him in J20 production, and he was a 5th round pick this year. So no, he didn't have a great year. Really, he shouldn't even have played most the year in J20 at his age.

After Buium comes off the board -- I think any of LDN, Niederbach, Hanas, James, Viro are reasonable options at this point. Wouldn't say things like "I don't get a vote for ______". But that's just me.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
LDN was 11th in J20 scoring last year in 34 games. The only player with more points and less games than him was Liam Ohgren, a 1st round talent. If you look at players that played 30+ games, LDN had the 3rd highest PPG with 1.47. He did that while playing really solid 2-way hockey too. He's also added close to 20lbs since being drafted AND has become a better skater. And he's going to have a full time role with Frolunda this year.

Niederbach season 1 year before as same aged was drastically better. He went with 1.84 points per game at J20.

Voted him again.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Niederbach season 1 year before as same aged was drastically better. He went with 1.84 points per game at J20.

Voted him again.

In 19 games when J20 had its season shortened from COVID. 15 games fewer than LDN.

Ludwig Persson outscored LDN on the same team this year, was drafted #85th. Oskar Jellvik is another 03 who was close to him in J20 production, and he was a 5th round pick this year. So no, he didn't have a great year. Really, he shouldn't even have played most the year in J20 at his age.

After Buium comes off the board -- I think any of LDN, Niederbach, Hanas, James, Viro are reasonable options at this point. Wouldn't say things like "I don't get a vote for ______". But that's just me.

Frolunda had a very veteran heavy team last year. They were gunning for a championship. Niederbach had trouble getting regular ice there, and if it wasn't for an early season injury Soderblom probably wouldn't have gotten as much icetime as he did. There was simply no spot for LDN on Frolunda last year.

You mention Persson but forget that he was LDN's winger for much of the year. Persson himself is also a pretty good prospect that I would rate higher than Niederbach. Finishing top 15 or better in J20 scoring in Sweden is pretty good.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Add Mastrosimone btw. I still have a sliver of hope for him, he’s hanging on to #20 by his fingernails in my own rankings. 1% chance of making it to the show.

Reactions: lilidk
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Niederbach. It's weird how one mediocre tournament can completely ruin your projection with the fans.

Don't get the LDN hype. He hasn't done anything yet (although I'm hopeful). At least Niederbach gets invited to national team events.

Buium, I really like. I think he's clearly ahead of LDN. If not for whatever went on at the last minute, he would have been on the WJC team.

Reactions: ChadS

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I swear this board (minus Jaster) just has a fetish for Euro players.
On the flip side I kinda feel like some of you have gotten desensitivized to what these kids are doing in one of the world's best pro leagues. Wallinder, Edvinsson and Niederbach were 1, 2, 3 in U20 scoring. And that honestly says more about how good Wallinder & Edvinsson were rather than being a knock on Niederbach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guess I missed some games and I did, but Niederbach's hockey sense continues to show when I watch him. I think by mid-season with the Abbott's in control a lot of people are going to feel a little silly about this. He is where the puck is going a lot, always like that quality. Other warning summer hockey is a dangerous place to fall in or out of love with a prospect...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think the player I’m most interested in at this point is Hanas. I’d expect he’s going to have a shot at the Griffins this year, and I’m excited to see how he starts to translate.

Buium, Niederbach, And James would be the other guys I’d consider here

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Went Buium here.

I think after this one it's time to vote for Dylan James on the basis of just trusting the scouts. He was drafted 40th overall. There's not really any reason to NOT like him.... there's just not really any info on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad